Damn, it feels good to be a prepper...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Damn, it feels good to be a prepper... within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Let's here your encouraging stories of prepping. When did you end up needing those things others scoffed at? I just read an article of a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Damn, it feels good to be a prepper...

Let's here your encouraging stories of prepping.
    When did you end up needing those things others scoffed at?

I just read an article of a cruise ship that hit an "unknown" object on its way to Florida.
    Whatever it was, it caused all lights to go out completely.
    It was apparently mismanaged, and the passengers were not offered food during the ordeal.

I didn't get to use mine, but damn would it have been good to have my "cruiser bug-in bag" on that boat.
    Time to rub it in to my wife, and friends who went with us. They laughed at me while I was filling my 5 gallon jugs.
    "See!!! This could have happened to us!"

Let's here your stories.
    Big Country1 likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Senior Member R.I.P.

2004 was a wake up call for many people in central Florida. Francis came threw & where I live lost electric for 7 days. Exactly two weeks after Francis Jeanne struck & lost power for 5 days. And that was after Charlie went threw. Though I had/have a large generator it was really had finding gasoline for it & need that generator for the well pump. Had an electric stove back then but using the LP gas BBQ grill & its side burner wasn't an issue.

I am thinking many in the Shmokey Mtns , NC, SC area that are non prep type and are without power right now are sucking eggs. This is the exact type of situation that I plan for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Peace of mind. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Worth every penny, IMO.
    Big Country1 likes this.

A J

Countless times over the years. From always having a small ziploc full of Splenda for my coffee (when the restaurant only has the 'pink and blue' stuff), to having a spare tire, tools, wire, zipties, duct tape,extra oil, full gas tank, cash (just in case credit machines are down), spare serpentine belt, .....

Being a prepper to me simply means Not being unPREPARED. Nothing special about it, it's the way my dad was and it just rubbed off.

AJ

2 events I can think of. One was the 1974 tornado outbreak and a very strong tornado roared thru our neighborhood and trashed a bunch of houses and
    a lot of the power lines and poles. We had damage but were OK but no power for over 3 weeks. My dad wasn't a prepper but was prepared and we had portable power
    the entire time and he ran the well pump so no problem with water. Grandma always canned way too much food but not this time as it got us thru that period. None of
    our neighbors had it like us and we even took a few families in until their houses got rebuilt.

That event and probably 9/11 turned on the prepper in me. Hurricane Ike sept 2008 came ashore SE TX coast then turned NE into the Ohio valley a few days later. The remains of this
    storm combined with daytime heating they say and caused some of the wind above the surface to come to the surface and we had 50 to as high as 80 MPH winds widespread and a lot of
    tree and wires down everywhere. We lost power for just shy of 9 days and we were the only ones on the street with back-up power and we had plenty of food and water and gas for the cars.
    My neighbors were kinda freaked out but it really wasn't any problem for us at all and was a nice test for my system. Since then I have added big time to what we have so we stand ready for
    whatever is coming!
    just mike likes this.

Being prepared is a state of mind, it is not simply goods and groceries. Though they do help.
    Power was out for three days, I had a generator and while I couldn't run the whole house, I could keep the frozen food frozen, get updates on the situation via radio and television and had lights.
    Recently I wanted to make a pot of coffee and the water was running brown from the tap, not a problem I dipped into my clean and safe stored water.
    It was chilly yesterday, I always carry a warm coat and a full change of clothes in my vehicle in case I get soaked. I only need the coat this time.

Not a big event, but a few months ago had some medical bills for my wife come in and put a crunch on the budget. Felt really good to save 90% of the food budget because I had prepared.
    Slippy, A J and Kauboy like this.

Once we had an enemy

That became our government

And with much head scratching

And parliamentary bickering

They tax us to death

And steal us blind

Where not even the curtains and our beloved teddies are safe

And our children must grow up side by side

But our power stations and economy is going up in smoke

But soon:

That's why I prep:D
    Last edited by 2Tim215; 11-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Old SF Guy likes this.

We had 9 inches of snow at my place in mountains of east Tennessee. We lost power, but the 20 kw standby genny kicked on and ran for 10 hours until the power was restored. We discovered some problems in our preps and we are adjusting as needed. It was a good opportunity to fine the holes in your plans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links