Anyone else have bouts of anxiety?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Anyone else have bouts of anxiety? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Starting as I entered my sixties, I began to have fears and health concerns. These were infrequent but got more intense over the years. About ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anyone else have bouts of anxiety?

Starting as I entered my sixties, I began to have fears and health concerns. These were infrequent but got more intense over the years.

About five years ago I had a sincere and open conversation with my doctor about this, and I also started seeing a therapist in his clinic. Nothing was resolved. The doctor kept reminding me I was in great shape, and did gym routines like someone in the early fifties. However, waking up in the morning--and I mean 4:00AM or 5:00AM--was frightening and caused visual shakes.

I'm now on a regimen of BuSpar which diminishes the severe ups but does not take all the symptoms away. Even now, the recommended dose sends me to bed in the afternoon for a nap. Some evenings I never get up.

Has anyone else faced this? Did you find something that worked? Have you beaten this?
    RedLion likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Yes. The answer is this. Realize that you are going to die and that nothing you do really matters in the end. Once you are comfortable with this, the anxiety diminishes.

I believe what you are going through is technically called an existential crisis.
    Last edited by KUSA; 05-15-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Oh, I've been there--and frankly I'm surprised old enemies haven't gotten me yet!

The issue is the "surprise" of an exam. My doctor tells me I'm in good shape, and then adds, "Oh, by the way.."

It takes me about a week to ruminate through the issue and make peace with it. I do get better, but the issue jars me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Yes. The answer is this. Realize that you are going to die and that nothing you do really matters in the end. Once you are comfortable with this, the anxiety diminishes.

I believe what you are going through is technically called an existential crisis.
    My great-grandparents, grandparents, mother, all my uncles and aunts, and lots of my friends have died.

at some point I will have a heart attack, cancer, be murdered, trip and fall, or an accident and pass away - or just plain old age will will get me and I will pass away in my asleep... it is going to happen.. nothing I do or say or worry about will stop it from happening ----and then I go to meet my maker, once my work here is done!

I will leave this here

and for my fellow military members (I have a hard time watching and listening without my eyes leaking)
    A Watchman likes this.
    Be a Berean

Oh, I look daily for guardian angel--you'll recognize him if he comes to the wrong house--big blue fella, about eight feet tall, I'd reckon +500 pounds. His name is Harold.

Much of this is my fault. I always heard of the "bucket list," and I felt it was a waste of years to allow all your dreams end up when you were too old to do anything about them. So, if I saw a pretty redhead, I chatted her up (we spent four incredible months together), if I saw a Harley I liked, I bought it, and my gun and knife collection is pretty much "been there bought that."

I enjoy seeing my dog everyday, and my truck runs like a top. It's a good existence, just a bit boring about mid-week.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    I think anxiety can be caused by overthinking things you can’t do anything about, once one grasps the reality of that, much of the anxiety would possibly disappear, JMO.....
    Michael_Js, KUSA and RedLion like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    I think anxiety can be caused by overthinking things you can’t do anything about, once one grasps the reality of that, much of the anxiety would possibly disappear, JMO.....
    That's about as good as anything. The issue is that sometimes the outcome is not something you have the power to change. For example, I doubt if I would survive meeting 40 secret society folks bent on my destruction.

And let's face it, if you're a boomer you had gales of laughter playing "duck and cover."

For me, it's health issues--now. But twenty years ago I started riding a tad safer. I believe you adjust your demons over time.

Super Moderator

I did have anxiety or more accurately panic attacks. In my early 20's I dated a girl who talked me into getting a season pass to Disneyland. Occasionally a panic attack would come on while I was there and I would tell her "we have to leave NOW". The crowds of people would make me feel like everything was closing in on me. I would head for the exit pushing anyone and everyone in my way to the side. I was like the Hulk rampaging down main street.

I didnt like the person I was when the attacks came on. I'm a big dude and can hurt people. I dont like that so I make an effort not to be that person.

I tried many things to overcome my panic attacks. Saw a shrink, went on meds and none of it really worked. The meds made me into a zombie and I hated that even more. So finally, after many years, I decided I need to be at peace with myself for it to stop. I cant really explain my journey to get there but it worked. I no longer have panic attacks. Occasionally when my life gets crazy I can feel them start to creep back to the surface. When they do I sort of go inside myself and find my center. Who I truly am and how I truly feel. I could be in a crowd of thousands and feel like no one is around me. When i come out i am centered, calm and feel great.

One thing that helped me is solo backpacking. Being out in the woods by yourself forces you to become good with yourself. If you dont like yourself you can never find the path to internal peace.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    A Watchman, Denton and Slippy like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Sasquatch, thanks for the contribution. Your experiences mirror my own. For example, a few days ago my wife and I went to the mall for coffee. I was nervous from the git-go, and tried to look relaxed reading one magazine to another in rapid succession. Finally in desperation I told my wife it was time to go.

I'm not The Hulk, but I'm his "armorer." If it can go 'bang' or slash an attacker through the tendons to the bone, I'm carrying it.

As for panic attacks, mine come within a few days over some odd things. Then I get under control but still feel the anxiety. I too am seeing a shrink, and sometimes the BuSpar works, but most times I wake up in a frazzle.

I don't have easy access to solo backpacking. But I do the "lonely man walk," praying and getting myself into a better place. I used to do that on a motorcycle until the eye surgery. And if anything, it helps to post on this forum. In fact, I dumped a forum so I could be here more often. I feel most of the guys (and you, too, Annie) are better friends than they know.
    Sasquatch, Slippy and A Watchman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    Anxiety is fear of things that have already happened to us. CBT or REBT therapies can work wonders, but the person has to learn to use them. Immersion Therapy is a newer and pretty darn effective way of learning to cope with social anxiety and PTSD. It basically means intentionally and planfully putting yourself into situations that cause you anxiety over and over again. It lessens your reaction over time. I have dealt with anxiety since I was a little boy. You can learn to manage it.
    Last edited by RedLion; 05-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links