All Gave Some, Some Gave All
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on All Gave Some, Some Gave All within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; With Memorial Day rapidly approaching, my social media feeds are already filling with planned celebrations, backyard barbeque plans, and family get-togethers. I just want to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: All Gave Some, Some Gave All

Administrator

With Memorial Day rapidly approaching, my social media feeds are already filling with planned celebrations, backyard barbeque plans, and family get-togethers. I just want to make sure that while we spend time with friends and family over the upcoming 3 day weekend that we never forget the reason for this holiday, to remember and honor those who gave all.

How do you spend Memorial Day weekend?
    Denton, Annie, Robie and 3 others like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Super Moderator

Going to the pool! Backyard BBQ! This is one of the BEST holidays! It's the top of the summer; my favorite season. May God bless this wonderful country, the men and women who now protect it, those who have protected it and those who've given their lives to protect it.
    1skrewsloose likes this.

So sad that many young folks don't do this. Told my daughter if I EVER caught her not standing with hand over heart at a parade when the American flag passed I would grab her by the ear and drag her butt home. I really dislike it when people sit on their butts and not stand when the VFW or other military groups pass. Such disrespect I cannot tolerate.

On a lighter note, my daughter is coming home from Tempe, Az. for the holiday, haven't seen her in 18 months since she got out of college! I weep just thinking of seeing her.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 05-14-2019 at 03:51 AM.
    A Watchman and Denton like this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    So sad that many young folks don't do this. Told my daughter if I EVER caught her not standing with hand over heart at a parade when the American flag passed I would grab her by the ear and drag her butt home. I really dislike it when people sit on their butts and not stand when the VFW or other military groups pass. Such disrespect I cannot tolerate.

On a lighter note, my daughter is coming home from Tempe, Az. for the holiday, haven't seen her in 18 months since she got out of college! I weep just thinking of seeing her.

been noticing a large number of numb nutz standing - but leaving their caps on - at ballgames during the national anthem >>>> and I'm not injecting the whole modern female perspective either ... these are mostly younger males but not always - there's the middle age & beer gut few also ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Spending a little time at Camp Nelson National Cemetery ..I got family there from the Civil War on... I'll be joining them soon enough. https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/campnelson.asp
    Last edited by SGT E; 05-14-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    rice paddy daddy and Gunn like this.

The Good Cop

Saturday and Sunday, our local State Park will hold its annual World War Two Reenactment Weekend, complete with full auto firing demonstrations of period weapons - American, German, and Russian. One of the top rangers is a friend, and last year I took part in the firing demo, using an M3A1 Submachine Gun like I had once. Long ago and far away.
    Our Chapter of Vietnam Veterans of America will have our veterans information booth set up, and I'll join the guys for a few hours on Saturday.

Sunday will be Race Day!!! Indy 500 followed by Coca Cola 600. I'll make my usual belly buster plate of cheese (various kinds), crackers, pepperoni, sausage, olives (black & green), celery, broccoli, jalapenos, pickles. A two liter jug of ginger ale to wash it down. Later will be chips-n-dip. Topped off with ice cream.

Monday, the serious day, will find me with my American Legion cap on, over in Georgia, at their Legion Post at 11:00 AM for the Memorial Day Ceremony. They always have food and refreshments after.
    Then, back in Florida, my cap gets switched for a VFW for the ceremony put on by my VFW Post at 1:00 PM.
    After that, home on line and watch C-Span videos from Arlington on the website.

DON'T FORGET - Those of you who fly American flags , the flag is half staff until Noon, then raised to full staff.

Always remember why you are free to have cook outs, go to the beach, or do whatever you please. Men and women, since 1775, have given their lives for you.

(And whatever you do, DO NOT say "happy Memorial Day" to a veteran)
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 05-14-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    Denton and Annie like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    ........How do you spend Memorial Day weekend?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Gave Some, Some Gave All-005-memorial-day.jpg  

I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Saturday and Sunday, our local State Park will hold its annual World War Two Reenactment Weekend, complete with full auto firing demonstrations of period weapons - American, German, and Russian. One of the top rangers is a friend, and last year I took part in the firing demo, using an M3A1 Submachine Gun like I had once. Long ago and far away.
    Our Chapter of Vietnam Veterans of America will have our veterans information booth set up, and I'll join the guys for a few hours on Saturday.

Sunday will be Race Day!!! Indy 500 followed by Coca Cola 600. I'll make my usual belly buster plate of cheese (various kinds), crackers, pepperoni, sausage, olives (black & green), celery, broccoli, jalapenos, pickles. A two liter jug of ginger ale to wash it down. Later will be chips-n-dip. Topped off with ice cream.

Monday, the serious day, will find me with my American Legion cap on, over in Georgia, at their Legion Post at 11:00 AM for the Memorial Day Ceremony. They always have food and refreshments after.
    Then, back in Florida, my cap gets switched for a VFW for the ceremony put on by my VFW Post at 1:00 PM.

DON'T FORGET - Those of you who fly American flags , the flag is half staff until Noon, then raised to full staff.

Always remember why you are free to have cook outs, go to the beach, or do whatever you please. Men and women, since 1775, have given their lives for you.

I hate these days. I really do.

People grill, get together and have a good time. Some idiots even pop off fireworks. Idiots.

My father made it through Korea and Vietnam but not everyone he knew made it.
    I had an uncle who was early in the Delta days. He took a bad jump and was busted up badly. Years later, he couldn't take the pain anymore and ate a .45. I consider him a casualty of the continuous wars.
    Some of the people with whom I served are dead. Substance abuse couple with traffic incidents. A military shrink told me that my brigade had the highest percentage of "shrink" issues than that of any comparable military unit, and it only took one assignment to cause it. I had three with that brigade and one with a similar unit. He was amazed that I was okay. He didn't know that I was a fantastic liar. My buddies died trying to deal with stuff. I count them as those who died while in service.

Above all others, I remember this man. The man who was the last to die during the Cold War. A man who shouldn't have died. https://www.army.mil/article/99179/m...eek_in_history

I never met Art but I'll never forget him. Memorial. Remember. This broken brain will and I will not be grilling and having a good time on Memorial Day. A shitty day. A day that is abused by most people. Not their fault. They really don't understand.
    1skrewsloose likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post

Wow, you're gonna be busy! It's a good thing you'll be getting all your food groups in there with your belly buster buffet....sounds nice.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I hate these days. I really do.

People grill, get together and have a good time. Some idiots even pop off fireworks. Idiots.

My father made it through Korea and Vietnam but not everyone he knew made it.
    I had an uncle who was early in the Delta days. He took a bad jump and was busted up badly. Years later, he couldn't take the pain anymore and ate a .45. I consider him a casualty of the continuous wars.
    Some of the people with whom I served are dead. Substance abuse couple with traffic incidents. A military shrink told me that my brigade had the highest percentage of "shrink" issues than that of any comparable military unit, and it only took one assignment to cause it. I had three with that brigade and one with a similar unit. He was amazed that I was okay. He didn't know that I was a fantastic liar. My buddies died trying to deal with stuff. I count them as those who died while in service.

Above all others, I remember this man. The man who was the last to die during the Cold War. A man who shouldn't have died. https://www.army.mil/article/99179/m...eek_in_history

I never met Art but I'll never forget him. Memorial. Remember. This broken brain will and I will not be grilling and having a good time on Memorial Day. A shitty day. A day that is abused by most people. Not their fault. They really don't understand.
    Wow, I never thought about it that way. To me, Memorial Day has always meant the start of summer. When the pool opens. That and remembering someone I knew who died in the Vietnam war, also his mother. So maybe it should be observed more like Good Friday?
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links