All Gave Some, Some Gave All - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

All Gave Some, Some Gave All

This is a discussion on All Gave Some, Some Gave All within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Annie Wow, I never thought about it that way. To me, Memorial Day has always meant the start of summer. When the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: All Gave Some, Some Gave All

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Wow, I never thought about it that way. To me, Memorial Day has always meant the start of summer. When the pool opens. That and remembering someone I knew who died in the Vietnam war, also his mother. So maybe it should be observed more like Good Friday?
    It should be observed as what it is. It is a day to remember those who died while serving this nation.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Wow, I never thought about it that way. To me, Memorial Day has always meant the start of summer. When the pool opens. That and remembering someone I knew who died in the Vietnam war, also his mother. So maybe it should be observed more like Good Friday?
    It should be a day of remembrance, but not a day of morbid negativity.
    Those who died would want you to enjoy the day, in fact, enjoy every day.
    Combat vets and others who have been through things like airplane crashes often have survivor guilt. Why did they die and not me?
    I learned through therapy to let this go, and I try to live my life for two - myself and my dead buddies.
    Of course I think of them, but I no longer wallow in guilt, just as I would want for them if the role was reversed.

514 men in my unit were KIA in Vietnam. Some of them died keeping the wolves away from me.
    I remember them, and I love them, and someday we’ll share C-Ration pound cake and peaches once again.
    Until then, I will enjoy the life they made it possible for me to have.
    Some of you here know me personally, you know how I am.
    Chiefster23, Denton, Annie and 3 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

As a kid in school we were taught it was a day to remember those who fought for this country. But other than it being a passing mention during our regular course work it was really just a day off school. That lack of education on the holiday has transferred to adulthood where I see it as just a day off work.

That said and now that I'm getting older I have sought out more about the holiday and our military men and women who sacrificed for this country. Some of my appreciation has come from all of you here through stories you have told (I thank you for that).

Sadly most people won't have the revelation I had that it is more than a day off school or work. In my opinion that is another nail in the coffin for the greatness of our country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

It is up to the parents to teach about Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
    My kids learned early, by going to the ceremonies with me.
    Even if you are not a vet, even if you do not know someone who died in service, go to your local ceremony and take your kids.
    Not only will they begin to learn, it will also show those who lost a loved one that someone cares. Trust me, this is bigger than you may think.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 05-15-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Sasquatch and StratMaster like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

All Gave Some, Some Gave All-1tevlin0810.jpg
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Double post.
    Last edited by Prepared One; Today at 07:10 AM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

When I was a boy living in Chicago I would go to my Grandpa's in Wisconsin to stay with him for the summer. He lived in a very small town in Wisconsin and he would always take me to his hang out, Uncle Joe's Tavern. They served great hamburgers and it's where the regulars would gather in the afternoon and argue back and forth about the events of the day and drink their beers. Think Norman Rockwell, it was that type of town.

I remember Memorial Day as a very special day to my Grandfather. We would all "go to Town" and set up on the porch of Uncle Joe's and watch the parade. My Grandfather, and many of his buddies, served in WWII so they gave me an education from the get go.( In more ways then one ) As a kid I didn't quite grasp it, but as I grew older and watched the Vietnam war unfold on TV, I started to realize what my Grandpa was talking about.

Anyway, some of my best memories are from when I was a kid going to Uncle Joe's Tavern with the great hamburgers, sitting on the porch watching the parade with my grandpa and his buddies. I wish I could go back and capture that small town feel again.

My favorite all time Memorial day speech:

Last edited by Prepared One; Today at 07:11 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/1...ARCUS-R-DAVIS/

Markey was the neighborhood kids Hero! Total tough guy!...He loved us and it showed! He was always teasing and wrestling with us LOL! He had graduated college and he was probably going to see a lot of us kids in school since he was going to be a teacher!
    I was 10 and living across the street when the Army showed up to tell his wife he had been killed...The screams went on all night. A few months later his daughter was born and promptly given up for adoption. Fast forward 30 years and I've met his daughter...talked to her at length about her dad. I think about him every day. The world would have been a hell of a lot better place with him in it.

The Good Cop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links