A backwards solar power question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on A backwards solar power question within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Over the last few years I have built a solar power system in a hodge-podge manor. I have quality components but the whole system was ...

Over the last few years I have built a solar power system in a hodge-podge manor. I have quality components but the whole system was not put together with a good plan. Now my batteries are giving out, so before I make a serious investment in new batteries, maybe I should get a little quality advice.

I have 1000 watts in panels and I live in south central PA. Obviously I have never seen this array produce the full 1000 watts. But I’m wondering what would be a reasonable expectation as to the average daily output I could expect from the panels?

I currently have 615 amp-hrs in battery capacity and I have an Outback 80 amp charge controller that I can program to limit the charging rate as necessary. All info I find on line tells me how to calculate battery capacity based on load requirements. I want to work this problem backwards. How much battery capacity should I purchase (considering my existing 1000 watts of panels) to keep my batts in good shape.

So I guess the short version of this question is.......... is there an established ratio of solar panel capacity to battery capacity?

In full sunlight, with the panels truly 'square' to the sun, 1000w of rated panels should produce 600-800 watts easily. At that level, you're approaching the limit of your controller.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

I think I may have maybe found an answer to my question after spending an hour or 2 on the computer. Based on my trying to decode info from several sites, it seems that about 500 amp-hrs of battery capacity should be my sweet spot. Feel free to chime in. Perhaps you can post your panel capacity and battery capacity so that I can get a sense of this ratio in other systems you guys have.

Sponsored Links