Fried Chicken with red beans and rice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Fried Chicken with red beans and rice within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Tonight I made Fried Chicken with Red Beans and rice. Normally I am the only one that eats the red beans.. but tonight I told ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Fried Chicken with red beans and rice

Tonight I made Fried Chicken with Red Beans and rice. Normally I am the only one that eats the red beans.. but tonight I told the 10 year old I would give him $1 to try some. He was scared it would be too spicy (I use Zatarains)

anyway he tried some, said it was ok, finished his chicken and then had a helping of red beans and rice and then had seconds ... on the plus side he is now open to new food.. on the negative side , I have competition for the red beans and rice

Fried chicken - I use 2 cups flour, some paprika, chili powder, onion salt, garlic powder (not garlic salt), black pepper, dried mustard, several other spices - I soak the chicken in a egg and milk bath and then toss it into the seasoning. I coat it and put it on a plate after a few minutes I toss them back into the seasoning mix.

I use a cast iron kettle and have about 3 inches of oil going... I fry it until the center is 160 degrees
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    Tonight I made Fried Chicken with Red Beans and rice. Normally I am the only one that eats the red beans.. but tonight I told the 10 year old I would give him $1 to try some. He was scared it would be too spicy (I use Zatarains)

anyway he tried some, said it was ok, finished his chicken and then had a helping of red beans and rice and then had seconds ... on the plus side he is now open to new food.. on the negative side , I have competition for the red beans and rice

Fried chicken - I use 2 cups flour, some paprika, chili powder, onion salt, garlic powder (not garlic salt), black pepper, dried mustard, several other spices - I soak the chicken in a egg and milk bath and then toss it into the seasoning. I coat it and put it on a plate after a few minutes I toss them back into the seasoning mix.

I use a cast iron kettle and have about 3 inches of oil going... I fry it until the center is 160 degrees
    If was at your table, you would have even more competition. That is one of my favorite meals!

We have an old West Bend (?) electric skillet from back in the lae 60's.

Cut up chicken goes into the milk/egg liquid, . . . then into the flour/corn meal where it is rolled around big time.

Put it in the skillet with a little salt N pepper, . . . fry till golden brown all over, . . .

Great stuff, . . . reminds me way too much of Mom's. Sometimes the eyeballs tend to leak a bit while eating the chicken.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

MM, you sure you ain't a southerner?
    Denton, stevekozak and Slippy like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    MM, you sure you ain't a southerner?
    I loved Alabama and North Carolina when I was there

North Carolina has the best bbq sauce... first time I had a BBQ pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw I fell in love...
    Be a Berean

Excellent MM excellent!

Next time add some Andouille sausage to the red beans, a sweet onion and some Tony Chechere's seasoning https://www.tonychachere.com/

and you have a great meal. Fried Chicken is just a bonus. If you want to cheat a bit, use some Blue Runner canned Red Beans

https://bluerunnerfoods.com/

Red beans and rice, and fried chicken! Dinner at MM's house! I am pretty sure I can out muscle a 10 year old for his share.
    stevekozak, Slippy and A Watchman like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Sounds good. We sub out the rice for cornbead in this part of God's Country. Now we do eat Spanish Rice with mexican food. Not sure why they call it Spanish Rice cause there aint been no Spaniards in this part of the world in 400 years or so. Guess it sounds more political correct than Mexican Rice.
    A Watchman and Slippy like this.

... and now that you got him eating 'new' stuff, your wallet will be a bit lighter and easier for you to carry around.
    Slippy likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Slippy's Famous Gluten Free Fried Chicken Strips

Cut chicken breasts into strips
    Take Rice Flour and dump a handful into a paper bag.
    Add Salt, Pepper, Lemon-Pepper and Tony Chechere's Seasoning

Toss chicken strips into bag and shake it like a polaroid picture

Heat veggie oil to 375 degrees. Drop chicken strips into oil and fry for around 15 minutes. The lightly coated chicken comes out light and tender with not a lot of flour coating.

When finished drain the oil and take the drippings and add some milk and a bit of rice flour to make a roux-gravy. Add some pepper and you have a nice dipping sauce for your chicken strips.

Give it a try! You'll say "Thanks Slippy"!

I'll say "that's Colonel Slippy to you knuckleheads"!

(disclaimer; recipe stolen from mother in law!)
    bigwheel likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links