legacies and forgiveness
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

legacies and forgiveness

This is a discussion on legacies and forgiveness within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; i just had a major confrontation with my family. i just want something to hand down to my boys... something from my family. my father ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: legacies and forgiveness

legacies and forgiveness

i just had a major confrontation with my family. i just want something to hand down to my boys... something from my family. my father drank his a away. i reached out to his brothers... but I got scorn in return. it was hurtful and I reacted....well... not so well.

I'm a green beret. my kids only know the name...not the deeds. I wanted to pass on something historical. my grand dads gun is the very gun that old Devil A. Hatfield died holding.

now it will go to a grandson who does not hold the family name....

My post is about acceptance... and forgiveness.
    so i shall offer both.and be greatful I at least know the story....and it will go forward as such.
    Denton, bigwheel, Inor and 4 others like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    i just had a major confrontation with my family. i just want something to hand down to my boys... something from my family. my father drank his a away. i reached out to his brothers... but I got scorn in return. it was hurtful and I reacted....well... not so well.

I'm a green beret. my kids only know the name...not the deeds. I wanted to pass on something historical. my grand dads gun is the very gun that old Devil A. Hatfield died holding.

so i shall offer both.and be greatful I at least know the story....and it will go forward as such.
    Can you tell us more? About the the gun? The history? Ramble away, please. I want to read it.
    stowlin and bigwheel like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Sorry to hear it, family dynamics can be unmanageable sometimes. Your not alone, I went thru similar 20 years ago, I'm better w/o 'em.
    Denton and bigwheel like this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

my grandpa...wow...he was a man. I remember a few things. main one was him telling me to not jump from th stairs to a chair....I did...and he whipped my ass good. but that says more about me than him. he mad a bullwhip in less than a day from scratch. He carried a six shooter on his hip his whole life.

He eloped with his 14 year old girlfrind when he was 16... on horse back with the future father in law shooting at him. she bore him 16 kids. I dont remember her...but I had haunting dreams of her as a child...I remember that.

He was quiet...a gun smith who made shot guns in the garage. and he never drank a drop of alcohol....but he spawned enough drinkers to keep kessler in business....says alot about how he was

he has four preacher boys.... and all of them...well they ain't saints.

My dad...he was a middle child....7th grade educated..... beat into the man he became.

My old grandpa...I remeber one event...well two...I hit my brother with a golf club and grandpa whipped my ass.... then he told the electrician who had climbed the pole outside his house that he would shoot him when the light went out on his porch...cause he tried to pay a late payment to the man.

the light didn't go out.

Me? I dont know much more than that...I'm not steeped in my family history... why? its full of betrayal. brothers who did shit I cant understand.

i know me...but I know them too.

I wil start with my history...and build outward. but it would be nice to have a start point beyond myself.

Super Moderator

my grandpa...wow...he was a man. I remember a few things. main one was him telling me to not jump from th stairs to a chair....I did...and he whipped my ass good. but that says more about me than him. he mad a bullwhip in less than a day from scratch. He carried a six shooter on his hip his whole life.

He eloped with his 14 year old girlfrind when he was 16... on horse back with the future father in law shooting at him. she bore him 16 kids. I dont remember her...but I had haunting dreams of her as a child...I remember that.

He was quiet...a gun smith who made shot guns in the garage. and he never drank a drop of alcohol....but he spawned enough drinkers to keep kessler in business....says alot about how he was

he has four preacher boys.... and all of them...well they ain't saints.

My dad...he was a middle child....7th grade educated..... beat into the man he became.

My old grandpa...I remeber one event...well two...I hit my brother with a golf club and grandpa whipped my ass.... then he told the electrician who had climbed the pole outside his house that he would shoot him when the light went out on his porch...cause he tried to pay a late payment to the man.

the light didn't go out.

Me? I dont know much more than that...I'm not steeped in my family history... why? its full of betrayal. brothers who did shit I cant understand.

i know me...but I know them too.

I wil start with my history...and build outward. but it would be nice to have a start point beyond myself.
    They are all a part of you. Mine are all a part of me. We all have a story. Some members of the families had a positive influence and some had a negative influence, but all influenced us.
    You are a great writer.
    bigwheel and Annie like this.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

You know brother...I ws shocked last week....someone I never met before said that they had enjoyed listening to me for a long time.

Now I sound like a country bumpkin....but I know about all the modern cellualr protocols and such...so it sounds weird... hick meets engineer....

I love telling stories...even made up ones. I'd love to write, but Im too damn dumb to do so....

Thanks for your words....maybe I will find a way to make that work for me....mostly with lies in court , Im sure...but...well...lets not let truth get in the way of a good story....
    Denton, bigwheel, Slippy and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator

You know brother...I ws shocked last week....someone I never met before said that they had enjoyed listening to me for a long time.

Now I sound like a country bumpkin....but I know about all the modern cellualr protocols and such...so it sounds weird... hick meets engineer....

I love telling stories...even made up ones. I'd love to write, but Im too damn dumb to do so....

Thanks for your words....maybe I will find a way to make that work for me....mostly with lies in court , Im sure...but...well...lets not let truth get in the way of a good story....
    My mother's father had money. He was a kind-hearted man who gave it all away. My grandmother was left with nothing. Long story, but the topic is the H&R .22/.420 over and under. Upon my grandmother's death there was a family quarrel over the gun. At the time, the quarrel was intense. The gun is now in my gun safe. I never win life's wars but I always win the battles.
    I hope to have the time to tell my son about people he never knew when I give him that old weapon. It ain't much, but it has a story. I love stories. I love objects that have stories attached to them. Odd; I hate dealing with people but I love items that have human stories that are connected to them.
    Inor, Slippy, bigwheel and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Dry up your tears and quit being a little titty baby.
    stevekozak and Old SF Guy like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Dry up your tears and quit being a little titty baby.
    I could wait for OSFG to respond but I'll step in and say you are being a jerk. Plain and simple.
    stowlin likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Ok we all love the Old SF guy by way of Camp Legune in these parts, We are just tying to gouge him in the eye in an unexpected manner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links