Solo Camping Tips & Concerns Needed - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solo Camping Tips & Concerns Needed

This is a discussion on Solo Camping Tips & Concerns Needed within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Better yet forget the doggys, get Bill Murray!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Solo Camping Tips & Concerns Needed

Better yet forget the doggys, get Bill Murray!

Name:  Stripes.png
Views: 23
Size:  256.3 KB
    Mish likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Better yet forget the doggys, get Bill Murray!

Love that movie!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Now we're taking!! That can also hold my stash of alcohol. The ingredients for a good margarita get heavy while hiking. =)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I forgot the first aid kit I've made over the years, it's a little bigger than a quart packed.

1) has saved myself many times, epipen, moleskin for blisters, all sorts of dressings, salve antibiotics, tools: tweezers, scissors, suture kit, scapel, mirror (shit in your eye or a tick on your butt, signal too) betadine, eyewash/viseine, left over pain meds (opiates w/script), other pain stuff Ibu, asp, prescribeded antibiotics ( doxy, a cillin I'm not allergic too, something for intestinal).

2) for city folk just get this, it even screwed the Russians that liberals are so scared about.

Mish, You should be safe with this.

P.S. I carry 190 grain, it is < 1/2 weight, disinfects, and a firestarter. If ya want a city drink mexican whiskey is not what you want camping. I take some whylers dry drink mix, grain, and a way to make water pure.

Last edited by Mad Trapper; 04-04-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Mish likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I love camping alone. Mainly because I hate people. My only concern when u solo camp is getting injured. I took a spill coming down the mountain once. I rolled my ankle and went down. I was worried I may have sprained my ankle so I immediately popped up hoping to keep it from swelling up on me.

Most people cant solo camp because they cant handle being alone with themself. You have to be secure with who you are as a person.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Mostly this. I enjoy being alone, knowing that it is just me that I can rely on. Even the injury thing is different. You are a bit more careful when you know you don't have anyone else to count on. Also, if I gotta die, I can't think of any place I would rather do it than alone in country.

The Number 1 thing to do when Camping or Hiking alone is notify someone of your Plan.

When you plan to Camp/Hike
    Where you plan to Camp/Hike
    How Long you plan to Camp/Hike

In Black Bear country I'd have a firearm with a caliber that starts with a .35 and ends with a 7 minimum

In Brown Bear country, a .44 minimum

(When camping near Urban animals, something that starts with a 9 and ends with mm is acceptable but something that starts with a .45 and ends with acp is better! ...but I digress)

Most people don't have the ability to go for more than 3 days so food is not a big concern, but you better have your shelter and water covered. Plan for the weather and the season and also for any accident so a first aid kit is a must. Everywhere I go I have a Fire Starter kit so that should be second nature when camping alone or with people.

Good luck!

(About the Author; Slippy has hiked many a mile in State and National Parks in all areas of the US both alone and with family/friends. As of late, his solo camping trips are usually at NASCAR races in his trusty cabin style tent next to his buddy's RV!)
    Cricket and stevekozak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    The Number 1 thing to do when Camping or Hiking alone is notify someone of your Plan.

When you plan to Camp/Hike
    Where you plan to Camp/Hike
    How Long you plan to Camp/Hike

In Black Bear country I'd have a firearm with a caliber that starts with a .35 and ends with a 7 minimum

In Brown Bear country, a .44 minimum

(When camping near Urban animals, something that starts with a 9 and ends with mm is acceptable but something that starts with a .45 and ends with acp is better! ...but I digress)

Most people don't have the ability to go for more than 3 days so food is not a big concern, but you better have your shelter and water covered. Plan for the weather and the season and also for any accident so a first aid kit is a must. Everywhere I go I have a Fire Starter kit so that should be second nature when camping alone or with people.

Good luck!

(About the Author; Slippy has hiked many a mile in State and National Parks in all areas of the US both alone and with family/friends. As of late, his solo camping trips are usually at NASCAR races in his trusty cabin style tent next to his buddy's RV!)
    Seen many but never had a problem w/black bears, some moose have scared me good. Think 1 foot taller at shoulder and going fast as a SUV. They both never did me harm.

If you get a 44 , learn to shoot it, after targets I did woodchucks, at 75yds they are about 1-L bottle size. Perfects your stealth and accuracy, keeps them out of the garden too.

BBear I'd want a 12ga or rifle that ends in 06.

Don't be scared of the woods, I've went a few days with what I had in my pockets, even winter. Summer can be pleasant, except bugs, winter You have to be careful, make/find you're shelter before you need it.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Seen many but never had a problem w/black bears, some moose have scared me good. Think 1 foot taller at shoulder and going fast as a SUV. They both never did me harm.

If you get a 44 , learn to shoot it, after targets I did woodchucks, at 75yds they are about 1-L bottle size. Perfects your stealth and accuracy, keeps them out of the garden too.

BBear I'd want a 12ga or rifle that ends in 06.

Don't be scared of the woods, I've went a few days with what I had in my pockets, even winter. Summer can be pleasant, except bugs, winter You have to be careful, make/find you're shelter before you need it.
    How 'bout this one for Brown Bear? Named after my boy Mad TRAPPER in 45-70!

Solo Camping Tips &amp; Concerns Needed-working-file-70450_marlin_1895tsbl_trapper_45-70_16in_right.png.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    How 'bout this one for Brown Bear? Named after my boy Mad TRAPPER in 45-70!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Working-File-70450_Marlin_1895TSBL_Trapper_45-70_16in_right.png.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	97133
    I've liked marlins in 30-30 for years, first CF rifle I shot was my uncles, the 45-70 is an upgrade. Even a cast 400-500gr bullet is going to hurt something. I'm still won't trade my pre-64 Win though.

I've got into 45-50 cal MLers (Gibbs/Whitworth, TC w/GM barrels aperture sights) with quality fast twist barrels and good sights, same bullets and will reach out and touch, think Creedmore or Friendship, 500+ yds with opens.

If you want security and a pistole check this out, 2 X 12 ga, legal everywhere. Load it up with 4s in one and a PRB in the other, a 12ga PRB is a mighty piece of lead.

Solo Camping Tips &amp; Concerns Needed-12-double.png
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

I've taken plenty of solo trips so far back into the sticks that if I got into trouble I'd be in a real pickle.

I always leave an itinerary with several trusted people. I know my limits and take special care not to over-extend myself. I am always aware of my surroundings and never take chances.
    Slippy likes this.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Solo anything is something to think about. It is about ones comfort level as well as ones risk assessment in the area.
    a) is it remote or do you expect nearby activity...other hikers etc.
    b) is it inherently dangerous? Steep hills, rocks, heavy vegetation, animal activity.
    c) what is your skill level in all related activities? Firsy aid, fire, water, food procurement.
    d) what are your obligations? Family dependent on you?

Me? I love doing things on my own, but I'm not stupid about it. I kayak alone, but I never kayak turbulent water alone. I camp alone, but I won't enter the grand Canyon or the Appalachian mountain range to deeply alone or at least in an area that I could crawl to get help.

I have the skills I need for the most part, but I too don't practice them enough. Solo camping gives me the chance to see how well I have prepared without relying on anyone else. How can you help others when you can't deal with yourself?

I have lived a good life and dying doesn't worry me to much, and my family is taken care of....so when I do things I understand the risks. I let people know where I'm going, and where I'm planning to be and when. I don't really care if I die out there, I'd just want my family to know how I went. Drowned, eaten by a bear, dehydration, etc. and have closure. I ain't wanting to die, but I also ain't afraid of it when it comes.
    Prepared One and A Watchman like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links