Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Pit bulls harmless puppies

6K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  Old SF Guy 
#1 ·
Reactions: RedLion
#3 ·
Not on their own. Pits bulls have been killing and disfiguring people for years . They are a very flawed breed. They serve no use.

#5 ·
Smitty is mostly correct regarding Pit Bulls.

Mostly because....most people have no idea how to be a true dog owner.

The American Pit Bull Terrier needs an Alpha Owner not someone who thinks that dogs have human instincts because they don't. They have dog instincts.

If the owner does not achieve Pack Leader Status, the Pit Bull is destined to have problems. Do not get a Pit Bull unless you have the proper dog training credentials AND you are sure that you can be the Alpha of your pack. Hell, I wouldn't get a Pit Bull unless I was single because any inconsistency in training, discipline and daily activity can mess the Pit Bull up. You may be able to get away with inconsistencies with other breeds but not the Pit Bull, the Belgian Malinois and a few other breeds.

That's my take.

#8 ·
Smitty is mostly correct regarding Pit Bulls.

Mostly because....most people have no idea how to be a true dog owner.

The American Pit Bull Terrier needs an Alpha Owner not someone who thinks that dogs have human instincts because they don't. They have dog instincts.

If the owner does not achieve Pack Leader Status, the Pit Bull is destined to have problems. Do not get a Pit Bull unless you have the proper dog training credentials AND you are sure that you can be the Alpha of your pack. Hell, I wouldn't get a Pit Bull unless I was single because any inconsistency in training, discipline and daily activity can mess the Pit Bull up. You may be able to get away with inconsistencies with other breeds but not the Pit Bull, the Belgian Malinois and a few other breeds.

That's my take.
Thank you. I have no problem being the Alpha and my dog and my woman know it. That's why they behave so well.....oh crap I'm in it now

#6 ·
The thing people don't know about dogs is 70-80% of dog breeds didn't even exist 90-100 years ago.
What people forget or never give a thought to and far too often just ignore, aside from being animals, is dogs are breed and crossbred to achieve a desired attribute.
If you breed enough of the smallest pups of the litter and keep doing so, you will eventually end up with a dog that will fit in your shirt pocket.
If you bred the dogs that like to swim and cross bred them with dogs that have an interest in birds with dogs that loyaley obey, you'll get a fine bird dog.
I think you all can see where this is going.
They are just animals and can, will and do default to their breeding, it's there nature. It's not the dogs fault regardless of how well or bad it was raised, it's the stupid humans fault.

#10 ·
Top 10 most dangerous dog breeds in the world.

https://www.insidedogsworld.com/top10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-in-theworld

Time and again in that article you will see early socialization, and early training are paramount.

We have had many different dogs over the last 40 years, including 3 on that list. Several German Shepherds, one Boxer and one "pit bull" (that term actually covers several distinct varieties).
Of them all, our full blood Boxer was the most gentle, laid back dog I have ever seen. Other than our Labs, of course. Don't know what her early life was like, she was full grown when my wife rescued her from the side of the road.
Our little pittie was a cool guy but I will never have another. The chance for unpredictable behavior is always there.

Reactions: Denton
#56 ·
How the HELL is a wolf hybrid not #1???!!!???!!!

Cleary the list (apart from wolf hybrid) plays by numbers/popularity as there are several, arguably more, dangerous breeds omitted:

Sharpei, Akita, Dogo Argentino, Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Bull Terrier and Chow Chow.

These are just off the top of my head as I've had the opportunity to work with them personally in my former life as a dog trainer.

#11 ·
I had some great-uncles back in the 30's through the 40's that fought dogs. They didn't fight collies and dachshunds. Yes, I agree that their environment and people play a huge role into it. But some breeds are more likely to attack than others. For those that love their pits, treat them well, and maintain the clarity of which one of you is alpha. I will continue to enjoy her ankle biting Maltese. I prefer my cat MouseTrap, but for similar reasons I took in a stray domestic shorthair, not a puma or a jaguar.

#12 ·
For every pit that attacks someone, millions more never do.
Blaming the breed for a few bad eggs would doom humankind to the trash heap.

As stated, the pit (and numerous other breeds) requires a strong pack leadership. Most working dogs need this. Millions of years of evolution, and thousands of years of domestication, have lead to this. Expecting otherwise is asinine. A working dog with no alpha to follow *WILL* attempt to assume the role. They cannot function in any other state. Either they have a leader they can trust, or they become the leader. Simple as that.
Don't care who I piss off. Stupid people blame the dog. Stupid people ignore millions of years of ingrained instinct.

Yes, I owned a pit bull. I was the alpha, and that dog knew it. He was not a "family lap dog". He was a dog. He was a beta, and I made damn sure of it. He owned NOTHING, and he knew it. He ate AFTER I ate, and he knew it. He was happy to have this relationship because it gave him order. He followed instruction, treated my kids with respect, and was happy all the time. He had a stable pack life to rely on. Unless you really know dogs, you can't possibly understand how important that is for them, especially the working breeds.

Now, if your idea of a dog is some fluffy thing you can carry in your purse, you have no idea what I'm talking about, nor should you ever own a working dog.

If you can't handle 2 tons of machinery, don't own a car. If you can't bear the financial burden, don't have a family. If you can't be the owner your dog needs, DON'T OWN A PIT.

#16 · (Edited)
Good thread. Never owned a Pit but never had any issues with them over the years. Crazy Jerman Jepppards and weenie dogs always bit me. Having raised a big Rotty for 17 years...will testify as mentioned big work breed dogs need to know who is the Alpha. I could get that dog to do about anything. He would mind my wife about half the time and tuned the kids grandkids plumb out of the loop. Best old dog I ever had. They have a two year childhood in which they are crazy. I just dont have the time or energy to raise another.

#17 ·
I like the gun analogy....lets go with that one.....So people want to own a gun. I agree with their right to own that gun...They want to take that gun out in public, we'll Ok...I support your right to defend yourself whenever you feel the need to....so OK.

Now, you stick that gun in your hand and point it in my direction, up down, at me, my kids, letting your gun pee on my grass.... with me not knowing if your gun is loaded or not, is the safety on, can that guy handle that gun?...Well now I have a vested interest in what you can and can't do with your gun.

Its like watching the 90's crew role in on their Harley's and cowboy hats and boots.... Ain't none of them new shit about the bike, had never ridden a damn horse, and didn't even understand the difference in a straw hat or a stetson...They just had to own those things.... Same way with Pit bulls. I want people who have these pets to be put in prison if their dog attacks anyone.... Assault with a deadly weapon.

Like I said before...My son wants to get a Pit... The reason he doesn't is that he knows I will kill it if he lets it near my Grand daughter..... Well....would you let your Grand daughter play with guns? Not me.....just sayin.

#19 · (Edited)
We started out with a little Maltese, 8 pounds. Then we got a miniature dachshund Yorkie mix, 12 lb. Girlfriend knew I didn't want more dogs unless it was a big one, she saw Lola the Pitbull up for adoption at 6 months old, I was nervous when I first heard about it.
Only heard bad things when I heard about them at all. We took her to training immediately which helped us and the dog, and I make sure to socialize and continue training and exercising her everyday. It is a lot of work but she's a great dog that loves everybody, there are some situations with other dogs I still have to be attentive and control of the leash. But that's what I have to do. It's a higher risk dog, takes more attention and effort. That's really it.

The damn eight pound Maltese is the one with the attitude and nipping at people problem, the Pitbull she's a lover.

We also have a cat who came even before the girlfriend, which by the way has been with me for 9 years tomorrow. The cat has been with me for almost 11 years. Anyway all of the pets get along wonderfully

#21 ·
The man across the street is the alpha of the two pits. When the two pits decided to take down my niece's daughter, my wife was the barrier until I backed her up. The "alpha" wasn't there almost in time. He was there just before the .45 pellets fixed the problem.
The dogs are no longer in the equation.
Get the damned point?

I love dogs. I worked them in the army. Don't tell me about dogs. I know dogs.

Dogs are like guns. Can't control or work them? Don't own them. I'll put you and them down. Is it worth it? Is it, punk?

#25 ·
The owner was in his yard at the time, too. He thought he could turn his back for a second, and that's all it takes.

Breeds have characteristics. People may not like that and they may want to argue against that, but it is a fact. I'm not arguing against pitties but I am saying they are what they are.

#30 · (Edited)
Pit bulls are like any other breed. If they are trained wrong they could have the potential of being agressive. My parents dog could have been dangerous if he was trained wrong.The dog’s breed is meant to hunt wild boar. However, he was trained to protect his owners and knows how to be extremely sweet with children and with the people his owners say are good.

#34 ·
If that is your logic, his car, though never having harmed anyone, should share the same fate due to the potential for immense harm that has been shown in wrecks involving other cars.
Faulty logic, @Kauboy. A car is not an animal. It only moves when operated by a human. A dog is not a machine that only operates when operated by a human.

#35 ·
That wasn't his reasoning.
He is making a claim of equality based on superficial characteristics.
Other dogs do bad things, son's potential dog is similar dog, thus son's potential dog will do bad things, solution is to kill the dog.
He isn't giving any consideration to the owner of the dog, nor the dog's training, upbringing, or breeding. Just "thing bad, kill thing".

So, my comparison is in no way different in the same logical conclusion.
No consideration should be given to whether a vehicle's driver is competent, how long the driver has been operating a vehicle, nor the vehicle's safety rating or history.
The vehicle holds the potential for bad things, thus should be killed.

#37 ·
I will put my two cents worth in. Dogs are dogs and all can be dangerous. Treat a dog well and it will behave well, treat a dog poorly and it will be dangerous. Collies have been known for some time to be one of the more dangerous dogs. I almost got my throat torn out by a lab that had been mistreated that I had never seen before when I was 6, but launched at me on sight. Only my reaction to turn my head to the right saved me and it got my shoulder versus my throat. With that said, I will not hesitate to put down any dog, my own or someone else's if they are a danger and a danger in public.

#42 ·
In the South, and probably elsewhere in the country, certain lines of dogs are selectively bred.
For example - Black Mouth Curs are used for wild hog hunting. There are well known breeders that breed the dogs that have the most wanted hog hunting traits.
Any off spring that do not exhibit the needed traits do not get sold, or mated.

When I lived on the Georgia side of the line, my neighbor's prized Black Mouth was killed by a hog it was running. My neighbor drove all the way to South Carolina to buy another dog from the same bloodline - paid $3,000 for it too.

Bulldogs are done the same. Those wanting aggressive dogs, buy puppies of aggressive parents. All fine and well, until one of those selectively bred dogs ends up in the hands of an unsuspecting person.

Early training is important, but SO ARE GENES.

#46 ·
I've figured out after owning German Shepherds, a Border Collie and an Australian Cattle Dog, (My FAVORITE!) that I'm a Herding/Working Dog kinda guy.

If I am fortunate to live long enough, I may try out other breeds, but I will always have a Red or Blue Heeler!:tango_face_smile:

View attachment 96865
I was in Florida about ten years ago, staying with a friend who had a dog breeding ranch... all working dogs. I was AMAZED at the level of instinct and ability of these dogs to round up sheep and horses! Seemed to know what to do right from the get go as pups.

#44 ·
I'm a Lab guy, but when "rescue" is in your heart, you end up with a wide variety.

#63 ·
First dog my family had. He was the most gentle dog I've ever seen. Had epilepsy and died at 8 years old. Buddy was the best boy.

There is a low key sub culture in East Texas that fights both cocks and dogs. Don't tell Michael Vick about it though.
I know a few that raise fighting cocks there. One guy had his right by the road for the world to see, most have them hidden on the property. Walking to them feels like you're being taken to a coke processing station in Columbia or something.

#51 ·
One of our sentry dogs was a "bio dog." Those were dogs raised by the military and not procured from civilians. Vatson had never lived among civilians and had been around trained professionals all his life.Still, we noticed something odd. Upon request, we would let line MP's bring their families to the kennels for a tour. While Vatson had no problem with adults, he'd try to tear through the fencing to kill a kid. We couldn't figure it out.

#55 ·
The "Border Collie Focus" is amazing! She was never happier than when she was "herding". (Even though it was usually tennis balls) She is buried with a brand new bouncy tennis ball near the back gate at Slippy Lodge...

View attachment 96871
Border Collies are beautiful dogs.
And very smart.
We have never owned a purebred, just mixes.

Reactions: Old SF Guy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.