Realizations.. maybe a rant - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Realizations.. maybe a rant

This is a discussion on Realizations.. maybe a rant within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; We sometimes only consider the squeaky wheels and crybabies... meanwhile, plenty of very capable millennials are taking the wheel and prepared to run the world....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Realizations.. maybe a rant

We sometimes only consider the squeaky wheels and crybabies... meanwhile, plenty of very capable millennials are taking the wheel and prepared to run the world.
    rice paddy daddy and inceptor like this.

What if the trough an end of the world as we know party and no one showed up. We prep for what may come not what will come. We prep not only for our-self but family and maybe others around us. If we never have to use them , great. But if we need them or they do even better. If the next generation fails to listen to our voice them good luck to them.
    There is not one single prep we have done that does not benefit us SHTF or not.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I hear you @pakrat

Hang in there buddy!
    stevekozak likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    Now, I think that at some point people are going to rummage through my gathered worldly possessions and book shelves, and think, ďwhat a crazy old bastard he was.Ē

The material things will survive and hopefully eventually end up in the hands of people who appreciate and know how to use them, but the knowledge and skills Iíve worked decades to accumulate and refine will have been a complete loss.

Look here you crazy old bastard ÖÖ Being smart and living your life with the mental peace of knowing you were prepared and did all you can do is never a loss. Some behind you will be thankful and even appreciative of your efforts, worry not over those who choose the path of foolishness. Carry on, you have laid the foundation of a great example.
    inceptor and BookWorm like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    worry not over those who choose the path of foolishness.
    I think your comment is correct in discussing preppers in general. But we all have to make choices, and I'm thrashing an idea around now.

I carry a .45 and have for many years, seven alone because of a CCW provision. In the 1980s you could carry at work if your boss changed your position description, which mine did for me.

But sometimes it feels like boat anchor, and with new advances in bullets, a .380 is now quite a defensive weapon. I have one, a P238.

Because I'm really only in danger in bigger places like malls, and because I have so much tied up in the pistol itself and accoutrements, I'm thinking of selling the .45 off. Here's where your comment comes into play.

We all know really serious guys who are hoarding and/or burying all kinds of tools for TEOTWAWKI. I could toss the .45 on the shelf and just wait for the end, but that seems wasteful. However, selling off survival gear might buy into your view of "the path of foolishness."

How do we decide where the prudent line should be drawn?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Surly your preps have allowed you to get thru things like a ice storm, 2 or 3 day power outage, tornado, hurricane some time in the last 50 years without any worry or drama. May not have been the big SHTF but you have had countless times that because of your materials and training things went real well instead of being a problem.

Get your younger family members to take a look at what you have if you can explain they are in the will and you want them to know what you got and they will get. Leave them a note or tape explaining your preps. Why you did it and how to use them.

Best you can do.

I encourage young folks to take up camping as a hobby as many of the items you use for camping are prepping items. The big SHTF never happened but you used all that gear not for bugging out but backpacking in the mountains. You get to seem sane, get to exercise and have fun, practice your SHTF map reading skills and using your gear- backpack stove as an example.

For sure stop stocking up in fact use some of items if you really think your family members won't want the materials. Consider selling some ammo and even some weapons. Not saying rush out and sell it all but if you are 75 -80 and think you got about 5-7 years left if you got 5 thousand rounds maybe sell 500 this year and 500 a year till you get it to 2 thousand.

If all your family says no way I want any of that food - you could start selling off some of it in a year or two. Use that money to travel or take grand kids to movies.

But do not think your efforts have been wasted or not used. Your efforts have benefited you, your family and your community.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I think your comment is correct in discussing preppers in general. But we all have to make choices, and I'm thrashing an idea around now.

I carry a .45 and have for many years, seven alone because of a CCW provision. In the 1980s you could carry at work if your boss changed your position description, which mine did for me.

But sometimes it feels like boat anchor, and with new advances in bullets, a .380 is now quite a defensive weapon. I have one, a P238.

Because I'm really only in danger in bigger places like malls, and because I have so much tied up in the pistol itself and accoutrements, I'm thinking of selling the .45 off. Here's where your comment comes into play.

We all know really serious guys who are hoarding and/or burying all kinds of tools for TEOTWAWKI. I could toss the .45 on the shelf and just wait for the end, but that seems wasteful. However, selling off survival gear might buy into your view of "the path of foolishness."

I enjoy accumulating guns. It would never occur to me to get rid of a gun simply because I may only shoot it once a year.
    45ís? Scattered about my house are four 1911ís, plus three single action revolvers in 45 Colt.
    Do those 45 revolvers serve any purpose other than to give me joy? Nope. And Iím not getting rid of them either.

Life means more to me than mere survival from one day to the next. I prefer to enjoy life as I go.
    stevekozak likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

Its a personal decision with many varying factors, such as:
    Your age
    Your locale
    Your financial resources
    The size and ages of your family
    Your worldview on the potential of events and the kind
    You priorities (they change according to the other factors)

The fool is the one who chooses to ignore his own decisions and the driving factors behind his choices. He would like to think that "others" or the government will have his back.

Your good, change firearms if you wish.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Life means more to me than mere survival from one day to the next. I prefer to enjoy life as I go.
    Oh, I was a gun collector myself. But I did a lot of "sport shooting," not combat shooting. Then for some reason I quit reloading, and slowly most of the pistols went. They ceased being "toys" and became "defensive tools."

You mentioned enjoying life. That's part of the issue. A few years ago I started just living in a 'funk.' Nothing really moved me or caught me eye. I made a routine appointment with my doctor and thought he would put me on vitamins. He looked over my chart, and told me that he had "ten other guys hitting 65 that felt this way." It did help a bit, but I got injured a few weeks after that appointment and the 'funk' never really went away.

The biggest problem is sleep.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

The Good Cop

I havenít had a good nights sleep since the war, 50 years now.
    None of the guys I served with in Nam has either. Our brain chemistry has been permanently altered.

Probably the same as WW2 guys. Or Civil War guys.
    Itís the nature of the beast.

But Iím not going to let that strip me of my joy of life. After all, Iím one of the lucky ones, Iíve been living on borrowed time since 1969. And once I was able to let the survivors guilt go things just kept getting better.

My faith in Jesus Christ brings me a sense of peace and comfort.
    inceptor likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links