Stock Market - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Stock Market

This is a discussion on Stock Market within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a credit card for the convenience and because Wifey likes the points she converts to kitchen appliances. I have a car note because ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Stock Market

Super Moderator

I have a credit card for the convenience and because Wifey likes the points she converts to kitchen appliances.
    I have a car note because it is zero percent interest so there was no reason for me to use my own cash.
    I have a trading account but the money has been parked for months because I expected the markets to crater. 1987 made me a tad careful. I'm not out of the game. I'm just watching.
    StratMaster likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    great article, makes my case for getting in and out at the right time... unless you are buying a fund tied to the market

the stocks that were in the S & P 10 years ago have changed... stocks are dropped and stocks are added

if you sold at -8% down when it was dropping to -30% and bought at +10% when it was going to +45% - you would save a lose of 20% and have more to grow..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._500_companies

you could build your won snp fund if you purchased 10 shares of each company
    ---------------------------------------

my point... if you keep a little eye on it and get out/move to safer stuff when it is going down and get back in after it is going back up.. you will LOTS more at retirement

I have about 12 funds to pick from and also a money market account... Months ago I moved out of the funds into the money market... I lost some before the move.. but I got out before the big lose.... so my funds are sitting in low rate 100% non stock money market account earning little to nothing... but I avoided the down that requires time to make up
    Interesting.

From what I got out of that article is you are getting out at the wrong time, and will not benefit from the next economic upswing.
    If anything you will be at a defaecate, and have to work longer and harder than had you stayed in the market.
    Denton likes this.

When I was young I remember my father telling me if you want to make big money make and sell things people don't need . By that he meant have to have. If you want to work steady stick with things people can't live with out . Food shelters in it basic form ect. If you want to work your ass off for dam little farm. He also said if you work construction in FL and want to get paid, make sure the jobs you take are funded by drug money and crime. They never file bankruptcy and always pay.
    I have some what followed that advice in investments. Spread things out Midcap funds that were in company's that made real products people used and needed . Small amounts were in and out of tech but avoid it so the tech crashes never hurt.
    He also warned my about social security and the big lie. His advice don't count on it. Seems he had insight.
    Denton and StratMaster like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post
    Interesting.

From what I got out of that article is you are getting out at the wrong time, and will not benefit from the next economic upswing.
    If anything you will be at a defaecate, and have to work longer and harder than had you stayed in the market.
    so your take is ride it down so you can ride it back up????

of course getting out at the wrong time is bad... but I moved out about 2 months ago.... so was that the wrong time...

AND usually the tricky part is deciding when to get back in.. after all getting out on a down turn will never hurt you...

lets look at two cases

1. let say you got $25000 in the market. it starts going down and you move to a safe account at $24000.... it goes down to 19,000 - you have $24,000

2. you got $25000 in the market and it goes down to $19,000 - you have $19,000

now let say it goes back up to 25,000

1. you get back in at $22,500... you avoided $5,000 in loses so have more to invest

2. you ride it down and up and you end up at $25,000 having gained or lost nothing except time
    Be a Berean

The key to the stock market is to understand rules #1 - #4, and to follow rule #5:

1) Know that your 401k, stocks and bonds, mutual funds, and even your social security, is governed by the US government restricting your taxable rate and even your potential access. It is all tied to a fiat currency that is backed by absolutely no guarantees or anything of tradeable value.

2) Stocks investing is in reality using available funds to buy fictional portions of a company that theoretically grows in theoretical value, creating an assumed increase in said theoretical value which is then sold for fictitious money that never actually existed and then perhaps calling one's self richer.

3) The market is just money moving around, not money disappearing.

4) A stock only has a perceived value driven by optimism, greed, manipulation and fear, making it subject to an uncontrollable fluctuation.

5) Don't get stupid or greedy.
    StratMaster and Prepared One like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    The key to the stock market is to understand rules #1 - #4, and to follow rule #5:

1) Know that your 401k, stocks and bonds, mutual funds, and even your social security, is governed by the US government restricting your taxable rate and even your potential access. It is all tied to a fiat currency that is backed by absolutely no guarantees or anything of tradeable value.

2) Stocks investing is in reality using available funds to buy fictional portions of a company that theoretically grows in theoretical value, creating an assumed increase in said theoretical value which is then sold for fictitious money that never actually existed and then perhaps calling one's self richer.

4) A stock only has a perceived value driven by optimism, greed, manipulation and fear, making it subject to an uncontrollable fluctuation.

there is one site that shows why the stock market is doing what it is doing... one end is fear the other is greed
    A Watchman and Prepared One like this.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post

Could you go over #5 again?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    I love credit cards, I racked up over $800 on my Costco Citi Bank Visa card last year (2017), and the wife gets lots of miles on airlines to go and see friends and family.

Credit Cards... use them, don't abuse them. i.e. pay them off automatically each month.

Rancher
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Haven’t had a credit card since 1986.
    If I can’t pay cash for it I don’t need it.
    The only exception was the homestead.
    Haven’t financed a new vehicle since my 1974 Ford F100.
    Cash is king.
    Sorry maybe I didn't state it correctly, they PAID me over $800 to use their card and then I pay off the balance in cash every month. I owe nothing on anything, but if someone is going to pay me in cash or airline miles to use a credit card, that will be my first choice... Am I missing something?

Rancher

Sorry maybe I didn't state it correctly, they PAID me over $800 to use their card and then I pay off the balance in cash every month. I owe nothing on anything, but if someone is going to pay me in cash or airline miles to use a credit card, that will be my first choice... Am I missing something?

Rancher
    Sounds like a deal to me. AND it helps maintain a good credit rating. I don't do it only because I don't need a credit rating, and I'm not going anywhere soon LOL... but it sounds sensible to me.

Rancher
    Exactly! I stopped using a debit card on advice from a bank manager! I use credit cards that give me 2% cash back on everything. I pay everything off weekly which means I incur zero interest payments and I get the added benefit of closely monitoring my credit. That monitoring thing paid off nicely when I noticed fraudulent charges on my account while they were still ‘pending’.

2% cash back equals a 2% discount. That may not seem like much but it buys me One or two guns every year. Free guns just for shopping and paying my bills! I’ll take it!
    A Watchman likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links