Stock Market - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Stock Market

This is a discussion on Stock Market within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Maine-Marine I do not plan on retiring at 62.. heck my social security does not kick in 100% until 67.... AND - ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Stock Market

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    I do not plan on retiring at 62.. heck my social security does not kick in 100% until 67....

AND - since I have time to research and watch why should I earn 2% when I can make more

AND frankly moving to safer things despite what the market is doing sounds like surrender to me. My best year in the market I made a little over $35000 my worse year I lost $950....

I am not a pro but it is easy to see larger moves.

oh and to show how crazy I am - I once bought some stock in a company working to develop a flying car... not a ton but some... it is all gone now

luck also has some benefits. I once sold all my shares in a tech company on a friday for $38 and then on a monday it was announced the CEO was under investigation for lying about revenue.. it dropped to $12 in less then 1 trading day and by the end of the week was around $5
    A different way of looking at it from a historical perspective.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ter-2018-12-24

I've spent millions of dollars on;

Dirt (Slippy Lodge ),

Plastic and Steel (Guns/Ammo ),

Whisky (duh ),

Woman (Mrs Slippy )

and 18 years of associating with Idiots (Son1 and Son2; they've been on their own since they turned 18 )

The rest I just wasted...
    ekim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I've spent millions of dollars on;

Dirt (Slippy Lodge ),

Plastic and Steel (Guns/Ammo ),

Whisky (duh ),

Woman (Mrs Slippy )

and 18 years of associating with Idiots (Son1 and Son2; they've been on their own since they turned 18 )

The rest I just wasted...
    as a wise man once said.. I spent most of my money on whiskey and women.. the rest I just wasted
    Slippy, bigwheel, ekim and 1 others like this.
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post
    A different way of looking at it from a historical perspective.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ter-2018-12-24
    great article, makes my case for getting in and out at the right time... unless you are buying a fund tied to the market

the stocks that were in the S & P 10 years ago have changed... stocks are dropped and stocks are added

if you sold at -8% down when it was dropping to -30% and bought at +10% when it was going to +45% - you would save a lose of 20% and have more to grow..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._500_companies

you could build your won snp fund if you purchased 10 shares of each company
    ---------------------------------------

my point... if you keep a little eye on it and get out/move to safer stuff when it is going down and get back in after it is going back up.. you will LOTS more at retirement

I have about 12 funds to pick from and also a money market account... Months ago I moved out of the funds into the money market... I lost some before the move.. but I got out before the big lose.... so my funds are sitting in low rate 100% non stock money market account earning little to nothing... but I avoided the down that requires time to make up
    Be a Berean

An old pal was a part time stock broker and was an investor himself. He was watching TV when the space shuttle blew up in 83. He said nobody said anything about what was going on with it for about 45 mins. Which was just enough time to get on the phone and sell all the stock he had. Which he then bought back for much less after a few days. He said he made a tidy profit. Guess the moral of the story is watch more live TV broadcasts and have the stock brokers number on speed dial.
    Denton and ekim like this.

The Good Cop

[QUOTE=Maine-Marine;1873611]stocks will go up and down. as they always do. The thing is to try and buy low and sell high.[/QUOTE

Not Always.
    My 100 shares of General Motors became instantly worthless when Obama "bailed out" GM.
    ekim and Denton like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Havenít had a credit card since 1986.
    If I canít pay cash for it I donít need it.
    The only exception was the homestead.
    Havenít financed a new vehicle since my 1974 Ford F100.
    Cash is king.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have not used credit, had a loan or mortgage in 15 years. Set up my retirement to be debt-free, with tons of cash rolling in every month... (OK, not TONS, but my pension, my SS, an annuity, and payments on a land sales contract). Amazing how good a guy/gal can live when nobody has their hand in your shirt squeezing your teat purple!

[QUOTE=rice paddy daddy;1873655]
    stocks will go up and down. as they always do. The thing is to try and buy low and sell high.[/QUOTE

Not Always.
    My 100 shares of General Motors became instantly worthless when Obama "bailed out" GM.
    I feel for you. although saying it went instantly worthless is not exactly what happened -, 2007 the stock was at around $43.. over 18 months it slide down to $0 in 2009... it went through $40's, $30's, $20's, Teens, then into single digits.... and then pennies...

April 2000 it was at $93 and over the next 7 years it lost $50 per share

at some point, you have to decide to get off the slide

I owned stock in nortel at one time... when i sold it I lost about $25 per share... but I sold - and invested in something else

Name:  may.png
Views: 75
Size:  4.9 KB
    ekim likes this.
    Be a Berean

The Good Cop

[QUOTE=Maine-Marine;1873661]
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post

I feel for you. although saying it went instantly worthless is not exactly what happened -, 2007 the stock was at around $43.. over 18 months it slide down to $0 in 2009... it went through $40's, $30's, $20's, Teens, then into single digits.... and then pennies...

April 2000 it was at $93 and over the next 7 years it lost $50 per share

at some point, you have to decide to get off the slide

I owned stock in nortel at one time... when i sold it I lost about $25 per share... but I sold - and invested in something else

Name:  may.png
Views: 75
Size:  4.9 KB
    I never claimed to be a financial whizz kid, just an old country boy.
    I inherited all my stocks in July, 2007. Never owned a lick of stock before, will never own any again.
    Slippy, StratMaster and Denton like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

[QUOTE=rice paddy daddy;1873665]

I never claimed to be a financial whizz kid, just an old country boy.
    I inherited all my stocks in July, 2007. Never owned a lick of stock before, will never own any again.
    Me either. If a guy sticks to what he knows, he can do pretty well. Not that I am against learning new things... I just felt that I was too far behind research-wise to speculate in the stock market, so I never owned any stock. But I knew real estate, vintage guitar stuff, vacuum tubes, and knives, and had a good run in each of those areas businesswise. Buy low, sell high... even a brute like me would have trouble mixing that up LOL.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links