Need to pick your brains

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need to pick your brains

This is a discussion on Need to pick your brains within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys, I was at my stepsons house today doing a little yard work. The wife and I are moving into his house while he ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Need to pick your brains

Need to pick your brains

Hey guys,
    I was at my stepsons house today doing a little yard work. The wife and I are moving into his house while he is traveling. His neighbor is a cop and good friend of mine. Today he was cutting down a tree in his yard, and as it happens so often ... Murphy's law kicked in and things went south real quick. The tree spun and fell the wrong direction and took out the power lines to the whole neighborhood. No damage to property other than the power lines and the top third of one power pole.
    My question is what the hell happened when the lines snapped and the transformer blew?
    Didn't think much about it until we left to go eat dinner out since we could not cook in the house... Step son is not prepped for such situations.
    Any way, I digress, when we drove out of the yard I noticed the clock in the car indicated it was 3:00 pm instead of the correct time of 6:45 pm.
    It was nearly three hours sce the tree fell... So I'm wondering if the incident created a small scale EMP?
    I hypotolize this since the clock starts at 12:00 when the battery has been interrupted and the only thing out of the norm was the lines down and transformer blowing
    Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Sasquatch, redhawk and RedLion like this.
    Cogito, ergo sum. Rene' Descartes

Super Moderator

That is curious. I would think it was a coincidence but an odd one for sure.

I suppose it could be what you mentioned but I am not the resident expert on the subject. @BackPackHack and @Kauboy seem to be pretty knowledgeable on EMP's if not a few others in the community. Interested to see what they think.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

I, like you, am not very experienced in EMP field, but I do know how my clock in this car works and it is the first time it has ever eset without my or some other input, such as removing the battery. I have owned this car for eight years and don't believe in coincidence, I am open to any and all reasonable explanations... Just throwing the EMP possibility out there for lack of another cause. Hope to generate some feedback and maybe get an answer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

A lightning strike can cause a small scale localised EMP event so it doesn’t seem too far fetched that a sudden power surge caused by the power lines touching might do the same.

Have a look here for some thoughts (albeit on lightning)

http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/li...emp_damage.htm

Fangfarrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bigfoot63 likes this.

Thanks for the link @fangfarrier , it sheds some light on the possibility

Idiot cop should have just called the local power company and had the tree removed. At least in my area they will gladly cut any trees for free to avoid damage to their lines. If in doubt call them, FIRST.

Yes it easily could have taken 3 hours to repair the damage. Should have a neighborhood blanket party to teach the cop a lesson and send the bill to him.
    Bigfoot63 likes this.

Now we have a Sasquatch *AND* a Bigfoot? Can the site handle this much fur? @Cricket , better tell the IT guys to add a backup air filter to the server room...

The localized EMP phenomenon is not out of the question. The fact that the car's clock seems to be the only thing affected makes it a bit of a stretch for me. Surely somebody had a cell phone closer to the action???
    If it wasn't affected, nor anything else, I would tend to rule out an EMP. The voltage potential in a transformer is likely sufficient to produce one if shorted in just the right manner, but it should have more noticeable affects than just a clock getting reset.

With the limited info provided, I'm skeptical.
    This did remind me of the scene in Toy Soldiers when an overloaded transformer was used to EMP some toys that had run amok. RIP Phil Hartman.
    Sasquatch, redhawk and Bigfoot63 like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

By chance did you check to see if the radio station pre-sets you had in your radio were still programmed correctly.
    I'd be really curious to know. Also since the computer in the car takes about 30 minutes to "relearn" your driving
    habits, did the car act abnormal in it's acceleration, etc?
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

If the tree managed to take down the utility lines, there would have been one helluva Big Blue Zot if things got shorted out. Keep in mind utility wires aren't protected by 'normal' breakers like the wiring in your homes and businesses. Yes, there are breakers, but they are set to open on a short-circuit that lasts for several seconds not as soon as it can react like the breakers at home.

But between the transformers that drop the high-voltage (usually 7200 or 14400 volts) lines down to the 120/240 volts feeding the house, there is NO protection of any sort. Basically the wiring is a 'fusible link'. The protection comes from the wires burning away until the short clears itself. Electricians affectionately refer to this as "Nothing between you and Hoover Dam."

So the Big Blue Zot could have easily created a large enough electro-magnetic field to affect nearby electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Now we have a Sasquatch *AND* a Bigfoot? Can the site handle this much fur? @Cricket , better tell the IT guys to add a backup air filter to the server room...
    And not allow anyone using Yeti, Skunk Ape or Abominable Snowman to register on the forum.
    Last edited by Back Pack Hack; 11-21-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Bigfoot63 likes this.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post

The localized EMP phenomenon is not out of the question. The fact that the car's clock seems to be the only thing affected makes it a bit of a stretch for me. Surely somebody had a cell phone closer to the action???
    If it wasn't affected, nor anything else, I would tend to rule out an EMP. The voltage potential in a transformer is likely sufficient to produce one if shorted in just the right manner, but it should have more noticeable affects than just a clock getting reset.

With the limited info provided, I'm skeptical.
    This did remind me of the scene in Toy Soldiers when an overloaded transformer was used to EMP some toys that had run amok. RIP Phil Hartman.
    I was the only one in my step sons yard and I don't carry a cell phone. I don't know about the cop or anyone else in the immediate area. And yes I remember the movie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links