Cast iron pans
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cast iron pans

This is a discussion on Cast iron pans within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; No doubt about it, good cast iron pans last for generation. They work great are a easy to care for. Long after your fancy copper,or ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Cast iron pans

Cast iron pans

No doubt about it, good cast iron pans last for generation. They work great are a easy to care for. Long after your fancy copper,or blue coat or the other fancy coated pans are in the trash or used as targets on the range.
    Refreshing one I use everyday this morning.
    Personally i use the Lodge brand. Outstanding US company. Great product. If you ever get the chance stop in and visit them. For a preper it has to be Cast Iron .
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Love to cook in cast iron. Just seems to taste better. Ham and eggs, bacon, cornbread, you name it.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Sadly there aren't any left in the house, something to do with this woman that has shared my bed for the past 22 years.
    But I have managed to hold on to 3 of my Old Hickory knives.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We buy our cast iron cookware at Academy. Its made in China by Christian Slave Laborers but its cheap and works great. I got a full set for forty bucks or so a a decade or two back. and they came in a nice wooden box which makes a neat table or seat. Looks like they have went up since I bought mine.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/out...e-set-in-a-box
    Slippy likes this.

Lodge cast iron pans Made in TN can it get any better? yes read on. Just like Ruger.

Is Lodge cookware guaranteed?

There is not a written warranty for Lodge Cast Iron cookware; however, we do stand behind every product manufactured. For product problems, please contact Lodge Customer Care and we will solve the problem to your satisfaction. Lodge Enamel Cookware is covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Lodge Cast Iron | About

Nestled alongside the Cumberland Plateau of the Appalachian Mountains is the town of South Pittsburg, Tennessee (population 3,300). It was here that Joseph Lodge and his wife settled and, in 1896 opened his first foundry.

Well into our second century in business, Lodge continued to innovate. In 2002, the legendary Lodge Logic line of pre-seasoned cookware was introduced, eliminating the hassle of its unseasoned counterparts. It was an industry first that has since become an industry standard.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 10-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Fry and bake in cast, nothing else comes close...

We started gathering good quality US-made cast iron cookware (frying pans to Dutch Ovens) about two decades ago… yard sales, flea markets, etc. We cleaned them up well and seasoned each in the gas grill at about 400 degree F for about an hour. Most are in the pantry, but three of them are in regular use in the kitchen. The other day our daughter was visiting and grabbed the little 6” one to cook a couple eggs in and was blown away by how nice and evenly it cooked on a low heat and the whole non-stick thing. She’d expected a major cleanup chore, and was amazed that she could just wipe it down hot and set it aside.
    We have a rocket stove for SHTF cooking on the deck. That stove and the cast iron pans are match made in heaven. A handful of sticks from the back yard provide enough heat to fry up just about anything. We cooked up a deep pot of chili using only one chunk of fireplace wood split up with a hatchet into a small bundle of 1” kindling pieces.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

We have a cast iron skillet that belonged to my mother's grandfather, still use it at least once a week. I am not certain anymore, but I believe some of the other cast iron stuff was his as well. Been years since she was well enough to tell the old stories. Also have his 1890's hand grinder. About 10 or so years back, dad bought her a rather large Lodge brand deep skillet. I forget what the size is, but it weighs a ton. It cooks wonderfully though.

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    We started gathering good quality US-made cast iron cookware (frying pans to Dutch Ovens) about two decades ago… yard sales, flea markets, etc. We cleaned them up well and seasoned each in the gas grill at about 400 degree F for about an hour. Most are in the pantry, but three of them are in regular use in the kitchen. The other day our daughter was visiting and grabbed the little 6” one to cook a couple eggs in and was blown away by how nice and evenly it cooked on a low heat and the whole non-stick thing. She’d expected a major cleanup chore, and was amazed that she could just wipe it down hot and set it aside.
    We have a rocket stove for SHTF cooking on the deck. That stove and the cast iron pans are match made in heaven. A handful of sticks from the back yard provide enough heat to fry up just about anything. We cooked up a deep pot of chili using only one chunk of fireplace wood split up with a hatchet into a small bundle of 1” kindling pieces.
    Related to cooking on wood stove.

"We measure from outside rim to outside rim across the top of the cookware, not the bottom. Please note that the item number may differ from the actual size. For example the L10SK3 is not a 10", but a 12" skillet. The 10 in the item number comes the days from when cast iron pots and pans were sized to fit on the numbered eyes of a wood stove. The L10SK3 was for a #10 stove eye."

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Black iron everyday. Lodge and several Wagner's and some un marked antiques still in service.
    Annie and MI.oldguy like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links