Cast iron pans - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cast iron pans

This is a discussion on Cast iron pans within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have some that belonged to my grandmother and some that belonged to my husband's grandmother. They work fine, they'll out last me for sure. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Cast iron pans

Super Moderator

I have some that belonged to my grandmother and some that belonged to my husband's grandmother. They work fine, they'll out last me for sure. Prolly be around until the Last Judgment. The only one I ever lost was the griddle pan. One of my girls was cooking pancakes with her friend, burned the cakes, then took it outside on the deck 'cause the pan was smoking. The friend had a bright idea of putting the searing hot pan on the grill cover and the fabric instantly bonded with the pan. I went and tossed, but later thought maybe I should've gotten the sander out and fixed it that way.
    Smitty901 and hawgrider like this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

When I retired took over the kitchen. I have one at a time been tossing those silly magic pans. They make good targets. Cast iron I can fry on stove top, simmer. Broil with it bake. That it out on the grill or camp fire. Nothing makes corn bread better than a good cast Iron pan.
    Old school is not always right. But some thing stand the test of time. Cast iron beats them all
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I have some that belonged to my grandmother and some that belonged to my husband's grandmother. They work fine, they'll out last me for sure. Prolly be around until the Last Judgment. The only one I ever lost was the griddle pan. One of my girls was cooking pancakes with her friend, burned the cakes, then took it outside on the deck 'cause the pan was smoking. The friend had a bright idea of putting the searing hot pan on the grill cover and the fabric instantly bonded with the pan. I went and tossed, but later thought maybe I should've gotten the sander out and fixed it that way.
    A wire brush wheel on an angle grinder will clean up cast iron well. I have had to clean a few that way before.
    Smitty901 and Annie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have several.

I like the fact I can take a good, thick steak, sear it to a good crust is formed, then toss right in a hot oven for a few minutes, plate it up, and you have a perfect medium rare steak.
    Add some smashed potatoes, and a side veggie and bang! Heaven.

My prize possession in the cast iron category is my grandmother's bean pot. It is one of those 1 gallon + sizes that has 3 legs and a bail, . . . but no lid. It originally cooked over a fire place.

I found a glass lid for it just to keep bugs out of it.

It will go to my son when I'm gone, . . . don't have any idea of it's age but granny got married in 1899 or 1900, . . . and it was most likely a "hand me down" to her then.

Have no idea how many bushels of beans it has had through it, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    hawgrider and spork like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have several cast iron skillets and cornbread molds and I use them just about every day. Mine are Wagner brand except 1 Lodge brand griddle. Cast iron is the way to go!
    hawgrider and dwight55 like this.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away...Support the Second Amendment!

We had an elderly neighbor when we moved here that had no family to speak of, her husband died in the 60s and they had no kids, all she had were 3 elderly sister-in-laws. My parents took care of her for almost a decade, and when she died, her family just signed everything over to dad to get rid of it. In her kitchen cabinets were some old cast iron cornbread pans, I have no clue how old they are. One of them is your typical skillet design, but it has dividers cast in so the bread cooks in individual slices. Another is for making corn pones, and it made like ears of corn, right down to the individual kernels. She was born in 1915, so it is possible they could have belonged to her parents, or maybe she bought them after marrying. Either way, they have been around a day or two.

I have a nice set of pans that get used regularly that I got from here and there. Picked this out of the garbage one day and restored it. Now gets used on the firepit regularly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    hawgrider likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links