Looking to buy an RV to use as full time work locations living quarters.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Looking to buy an RV to use as full time work locations living quarters. within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm looking for information, reviews, advice about Travel Trailers in the 30 foot range. Makes models and issues to consider before buy used. I've looked ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By Old SF Guy
  • 1 Post By Steven
  • 2 Post By Denton
  • 3 Post By jim-henscheli
  • 1 Post By Gunn
  • 5 Post By Slippy
  • 2 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 2 Post By Piratesailor
  • 1 Post By RJAMES
  • 1 Post By Lowtechredneck

Thread: Looking to buy an RV to use as full time work locations living quarters.

I'm looking for information, reviews, advice about Travel Trailers in the 30 foot range. Makes models and issues to consider before buy used.

I've looked at 2007 Jayco Eagle, 2010 Keystone Passport, 2010 Eclipse.

I just want enough room for me to lounge around and have the occasional guest or two over for a weekend.

Any experience out there?

OSFG
    RedLion, Denton and Annie like this.

NEVER buy an RV. buy a full size van and convert it. RV's are overpriced and they leak and start molding deteriorating really fast, you'd be wasting all your time trying to fix the damned thing. If you wanted even more space than the van get a cargo trailer. Many good how to videos online showing the process.
    RedLion likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    I'm looking for information, reviews, advice about Travel Trailers in the 30 foot range. Makes models and issues to consider before buy used.

I just want enough room for me to lounge around and have the occasional guest or two over for a weekend.

OSFG
    My folks have had the same travel trailer for thirty-five years, now. Matter of fact, my son used it for a couple years when he went to Auburn. Keep them clean and they'll last a long, long time.
    I don't have to tell an old SF guy how to maintain equipment.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

i spent two years in a 10x7x6 camper with a woman. Then another two in a 28x10x7 class b rv with her and a cat, and the last 3 in a 30ft sailboat, the first year had me, my woman, a cat and a hedgehog.. I know of what I speak.
    The camper was just small; we cooked outdoors, and set up a tarp to make and outdoor dining area/cooking area. It was fun, but inconvenient.we also had no indoor plumbing...

The Rv was real good, it had plumbing with a shower, slept 8 close friends, and had ac! It was built on a 78 desoto van. It was close to perfect....
    The rv was a bitch to find parking for, it had a scary, high revving top speed of 65, and it was LOUD. It was however, only 3k..
    Denton, Slippy and Old SF Guy like this.

We had a 30' Alpin Lite for about 15 years. Gave it to my daughter 8 years ago. Still going strong. Take care of it. It will take care of you. It was a fifth wheel.
    Denton likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by jim-henscheli View Post
    i spent two years in a 10x7x6 camper with a woman. Then another two in a 28x10x7 class b rv with her and a cat, and the last 3 in a 30ft sailboat, the first year had me, my woman, a cat and a hedgehog.. I know of what I speak.
    The camper was just small; we cooked outdoors, and set up a tarp to make and outdoor dining area/cooking area. It was fun, but inconvenient.we also had no indoor plumbing...

The Rv was real good, it had plumbing with a shower, slept 8 close friends, and had ac! It was built on a 78 desoto van. It was close to perfect....
    The rv was a bitch to find parking for, it had a scary, high revving top speed of 65, and it was LOUD. It was however, only 3k..
    @Old SF Guy , splurge and get an Airstream!

But more importantly to my good friend Jimbo; C'mon man, a HEDGEHOG? Don't leave us hangin', give us more about this woman, a cat and hedgehog!

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post

OSFG
    I have a 21 foot KZ Sportsmen Ultra Light. It has a shower, toilet, full kitchen. It is tight quarters, but one person could live in it alone quite handily. Two people? Maybe for a weekend.
    The wife has a trailer that is about the size you mentioned - it's a 4 horse trailer with living quarters in the nose. The big difference is mine's a bumper pull, hers is a goose neck.

The BIG concern you will have is truck size / trailer size. If you are serious about a 30+ foot travel trailer you will need at least a 2500 Heavy Duty pickup, preferably diesel.
    The wife has a Chevy Crew Cab 4X4 2500 Heavy Duty diesel with a factory heavy duty towing package and a professionally mounted hitch. Her trailer weighs over 7,000 empty, and her truck pulls it no problem, other than less than a 2MPG drop in fuel efficiency.

My truck is a GMC 4X4 1500 Crew Cab with a gasoline V-8 (335 horsepower) with the factory heavy duty towing package. My trailer weighs 3,000 empty and my truck pulls it fine, EXCEPT highway mileage drops from 19-20 MPG to 9.5 MPG. And that adds up real quick when on the road.

In the 30 foot + class, make sure the trailer is a goose neck, that puts the tongue weight directly over the rear axle for better stability. AVOID a 5th wheel set up, they render your pick up bed mostly useless when not towing.
    Wife's is a true gooseneck - it rides on a ball hitch mounted in the bed. The good thing about this is when not in use, which is most of the time, the ball is flipped over in its mount and becomes flush with the bed.

Travel trailers are the way to go. You pull them to location, drop them, and are free to motor around in your truck. And they are a fraction of the price of a motor coach.
    I have taken mine to several of my Army unit reunions, and stayed in an RV park nearby to avoid the ridiculous hotel room fees.

A friend of mine is retired Navy, and he and his wife live in a 30+ foot trailer. At the RV park he permanently stays at, he acts as part time grounds keeper in exchange for the fees everyone else would pay. He, too has a Chevy Crew Cab 2500 Heavy Duty, but I think his is gasoline.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 10-23-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    Denton and RedLion like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    @Old SF Guy , splurge and get an Airstream!

But more importantly to my good friend Jimbo; C'mon man, a HEDGEHOG? Don't leave us hangin', give us more about this woman, a cat and hedgehog!
    ... and a 30’ sailboat..
    Slippy and jim-henscheli like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

I knew 2 guys who got orders from Ft Sam Houston / San Antonio to Ft Hood . One had kids in HIgh School / wife with a job she did not want to leave and a high prabability of moving back to Ft Sam. The other had 2 years till retirement and a new wife tha thad no interest in moving anywhere.

Solution RV parked at the Ft Hood Recreation Area . They sold it for close to what they paid for it to anther service member and did not hav eto move it. They never did have a truck to move it with. It works as that one had a "kids" bunk area in the back they simply modified the bunks. So one sleeping are up front and one in the back.

The size you are talking about will work. I do not have any recommendations one model over anther.

Which one has fewer nights used, been stored inside. Maintenance wise the roof , The Roof , THE ROOF. Followed by slide outs.
    Denton likes this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Although probably not practical for everyone, I love the look of a classic Airstream. If I had won the lottery, I probably would have bought one.
    RJAMES likes this.

Sponsored Links