Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Gun Shop Requires Copy of Photo ID for Every Person Walking Through The Door

4K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 ·
Need some opinions...

There is a retired State Trooper running a recently opened gun shop in my hometown...

I came across a thread recently on social media where a guy said he went in and they threw him out because he wouldn't hand over a copy of his photo ID because he was only looking around.

So it comes out that the store owner requires every person to indeed hand over a photo ID so the store can make a copy before they are allowed to even peruse the store.

Their explanation is that this is for "security reasons" and "they don't want to have to waste their time with felons" meaning they are running a search of some sort on every photo ID.

I asked the store owner specifically how the ID were being used, stored, disposed of, shared, and what information was being put where on the interwebs AND if or how any of this was being disclosed to the people submitting to this practice. (I'm still waiting for answers).

What I suspect I'm going to hear is, "it's my business and I'll do what I want" but here's the thing...if you want information for the purpose of "clearing it" on any person then that person needs to know how its being used and for what purpose. She could be doing anything from running google searches to background checks (she is retired LEO) and who knows what else.

I work in an industry where once I take basic name, address, dob, and license # infor from someone I'm on the hook for a slew of disclosures right then and for a minimum of 12 mos after depending on how I use the information. And I have to keep record of it for 27 months minimum. And I have to send a notice to the customer in the mail within a certain period of time regarding the way the information was used with 3rd parties. I can't even put somebodies name into google search for business reasons unless I have signatures in the right places. (And I don't really think that's a bad thing).

I personally would never use a gun shop that merely wanted my photo ID for just walking in the door. That's complete BS in my opinion. But to each their own.

I warned the lady she should probably consult an attorney because she could be in for a serious world of hurt if this personal info is compromised or if someone really wants to push it legally.

What say you PF? Does this practice seem out of line?

See less See more
#3 ·
Mos,

I fully support the owner doing whatever he decides to do.

Property Rights, Brother, Property Rights.

I also fully support anyone refusing to patronize his store because of his business practice.

Free Market, Brother, Free Market!
But your personal info is your property. 4th amendment > Free market in my humble opinion.

#7 ·
This guy is nuts or running a sting operation via data collection on who and where to find private arms. Either way it’s relatively easy to avoid by shopping elsewhere. Whit the Internet, facial recognition software and video cameras the idea of privacy is pretty much out the window.

#26 · (Edited)
Agreed. You make no mention of the shop or where it is located. It ultimately doesn't help complaining about this if nobody knows who it is or where it is so that one can check into the place for themselves and help spread the word to avoid it.

While I agree that a private business owner should be able to run his business however he wants and hire whomever he wants there is just something wrong and hypocritical when gun dealer, who are supposed to pride themselves on the rights of citizens, "cards" people at the door as if it was some kind of shady nightclub.

There are plenty of things one can purchase at a LGS that shouldn't require any ID, even for a minor.

#11 ·
No, it is not out of line, it is the shops decision, and if they want ID, well OK. It is pretty sound thinking if you ask me.
I was surprised at the grocery store though. I went to Winn Dixie, and I needed to get a strore card to get the sales discount, and they asked for my driver license.
I gave it to them, and I will be darned if she didn't swipe it through her computer! Then they went to a web based card, Jesus! I haven't been back recently, I think that they have gone down a rabbit hole.

#13 ·
I would say if you want to see it, here it is but it does not leave my hands. You want to verify that I'm over 21 fine, but you will not do any searches on me from a DL

I would certainly not shop there. If they keep that up they will be out of business soon. If not then we know some deep pockets are behind them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#17 ·
My guess is they set up a business for their brothers in arms and simply don't want to deal with the public. Until they check them out. I really don't blame them in the long run. It's getting worse all the time with dead beats, thieves and losers on drugs etc. Security at gun shops is a major issue.

You don't have to shop there if you have issues. If your serious they'll get your DL anyway.

#18 ·
............You don't have to shop there if you have issues. ..........
I'm not the one with an 'issue'. The owner has one.

#21 ·
While I may have some understanding of his reasoning, I would walk right out. Now if he required it to handle a firearm I maybe more his side. He is at jeopardy , if he places a firearm in a prohibited hands. We had a place in Milwaukee that had been harassed by the City for years, and they changed them over and over . So when the place was handed over to new people to run it they required a membership to handle any fire arms and would not show you one if you were not a member. To become a member you had to be recommended by another member and they checked you out.

Reactions: ekim
#36 ·
I would be on board with a store policy of handing over an ID to be allowed to handle a firearm you were looking at purchasing. Liability, theft, etc. That's reasonable in my opinion. But taking a copy just to walk through the door pushed the limits.

I'm glad we had the conversation here. I think we will see more and more of this as time moves on. Better to talk among ourselves and figure out what's going on then walk in to a situation cold. At least that's why I wanted to ping it across PF.

Reactions: Kauboy
#24 ·
Why not just out the store publically, word of mouth, and on social media?

Problem solved!

Nobody who owns a gun, has self respect, will ever buy ANYTHING there again unless it's a 'cop only' store.

If the place stays in business, well.....says something about the clientele.......

#25 ·
Why not just out the store publically, word of mouth, and on social media?

Problem solved!

Nobody who owns a gun, has self respect, will ever buy ANYTHING there again unless it's a 'cop only' store.

If the place stays in business, well.....says something about the clientele.......
Maybe the target market is gun grabbers. :vs_lol:

#34 ·
If I walked into a gun store, and was asked for my driver license at the door, I'd happily reach into my wallet and proceed to slide out and show my License To Carry. That's literally ALL they need to know, and it will remain in my possession the whole time. In Texas, an LTC is legally sufficient to avoid the NICS call formality.
It's up to them whether I'm allowed in or not after that.

Can they do this? Yes.
Is it smart for a regulated FFL to pre-screen potential gun buyers? Yes.
Is copying a DL and running background checks before any purchase is initiated good for business? No.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.