Interesting encounters with Game Wardens
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Interesting encounters with Game Wardens within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Game Wardens here have powers of search and seizure that exceed that of the police, which causes tension sometimes. I’ve encountered Game Wardens only twice. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Interesting encounters with Game Wardens

Game Wardens here have powers of search and seizure that exceed that of the police, which causes tension sometimes.

I’ve encountered Game Wardens only twice. Once when walking along a road in the Allegheny National Forest with my dog. It was hunting season but I wasn’t hunting. He asked a few polite questions, and that was that. The other time I was hiking a trail with a group. We stopped for the night at an “A-Frame” campsite that was full up. No problem, we pitched our tents and when the officer stopped to check the site, he asked what were our intentions. We told him we’d be there just one night, that we had stoves and would not build a fire, and he was happy.

How about you guys? I’m just being nosey, I guess, but any interesting encounters with Game Wardens in your past?
    StratMaster and Annie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Game Wardens here have powers of search and seizure that exceed that of the police, which causes tension sometimes.

I’ve encountered Game Wardens only twice. Once when walking along a road in the Allegheny National Forest with my dog. It was hunting season but I wasn’t hunting. He asked a few polite questions, and that was that. The other time I was hiking a trail with a group. We stopped for the night at an “A-Frame” campsite that was full up. No problem, we pitched our tents and when the officer stopped to check the site, he asked what were our intentions. We told him we’d be there just one night, that we had stoves and would not build a fire, and he was happy.

How about you guys? I’m just being nosey, I guess, but any interesting encounters with Game Wardens in your past?
    Sure.
    Back in '84 when I was 27 a small group of friends and I decided to climb the middle sister in the early summer and camp overnight on top. Not a well thought out plan as it turns out, but that's a story for another day.
    Anyway, we were all pretty dang beefy guys... powerlifters and bodybuilders. I was the smallest, though I had built myself from 145 to around 210 pounds. One guy was 6'8", another was challenging the world record in the bench... you get the idea. Behemoths in tank tops and backpacks..
    In addition, we all had sidearms openly carried.
    Overnight camping was strictly prohibited, as were firearms. As we're going up the trail, coming down were two Game Wardens.
    Their eyes went straight to our gear... tents, sleeping bags and the like. Then they of course saw the firearms.
    They just tipped their hats and kept walking.

Turned a guy for deer baiting on public land. Baiting ban had been on cause of CWD plus no baiting on public land. Took pictures, wrote a letter gave it to the mighty warden and waited. Nothing happened for the 2 months while the guy continued baiting up til deer season started. He would freshen up his bait once a week.

So the last day of deer season after we have a foot of snow here comes the fricken idiot warden. Says he can't find a thing, WELL DUH. Of course the guy baiting is a small town public official. The warden and said official had a thing on the local news couple days later about deer hunting. WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE.

Have been hassled repeatably while fishing. Got life jackets, have a license, boat registration, on board fire extinguisher etc. By the same warden 3 times in 7 days. Christ I figured we where on a first name bases after the first 2. Even gave the idiot some crap on the third time. Just doing my job, sir. Well the life jackets are in the same fricken spot don't you remember??

I've had nothing but bad experiences. All young wannabe state patrol cops that couldn't make the cut.
    Last edited by Chipper; 06-21-2018 at 02:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah I don't have a lot to say that is nice. Everyone that I met had that arrogant cop attitude.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    sideKahr likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Here they are called conservation officers and I have had a number of run ins with them. They have always courteous but suspicious and they always moved on when they determined I had nothing to hide and wasn't breaking any laws. I cut them a lot of slack because they deserve it. They are seriously understaffed everywhere in the US, back up is usually a long ways away, most people they meet are armed, many are 3 crayons short of a box, and no one pats them on the back when they go above and beyond the call of duty.

I have never had a bad experience with one but then again I was ‘t Ignoring fish and game laws. The wardens are like anyone else some are good some are not and some are indifferent. I have herd guys that got fined complain bitterly when they were clearly wrong and knew better. They complained even when they got cut slack on charges and the amount of the fine/restriction of privileges.

One got caught with out a hunting license after dark with an untamed deer on squad with no lights. All fine able offenses of about $800 total and no hunting for three years. He could accept that or allow a search of his house and if illegal game was not present get only the least charge and the smallest fine which was about a hundred. He was upset he got the ticket after the search. I pointed out that he caught a break and they did not have to be bother with a search. He could have not hunted for three years and had a hefty fine. He just could not see it that way.
    sideKahr and Slippy like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I’ve never had a problem with local cops, anywhere I’ve lived, or with sheriffs deputies, fish and wildlife on the other hand....... nothing but trouble, everyone has to swing a d1ck. I’ve been boarded, searched, such a pain. I know they have legitimate reasons occasionally, but the stuff they have had me do; repeatedly flushing die down my head, open the same cupboard 5 times, show them my life jackets and flares... and HERE is the kicker; I know the guys, they are in my marina! I PAY to keep my boat there and to have use of the pump out equipment and bathroom facility, so why pray tell would I risk committing a felony?? Just nuts.
    sideKahr likes this.

Hope I'm not turning this thread too far off course... but I had a run-in with BLM agents as well.
    Went to go shooting up in the hills... a place I have been shooting at since the 60's. SUV pulls up, out pop two BLM guys.

Can't shoot here they say.
    CAN I say. HAVE. For DECADES.
    Nope, this is BLM land and you can't discharge firearms here.

Now I was tempted to go into the unconstitutional idea of the federal government claiming to own ANY land in a sovereign state... but these guys don't make policy they enforce it.
    sideKahr and Slippy like this.

Super Moderator

Nothing about game wardens here but how about a plain old park ranger story? One time we were camping in a state park. Our campground happened to have one of those little lean-tos. Well, a park ranger came up to our site in the middle of the night and told us we couldn't have a tent AND a lean to. So there we were in the wee hours, my husband having to pack up the tent and me having to move two babies into a hot stuffy lean-to. So stoopid.
    StratMaster and sideKahr like this.

Here game wardens can enter property with no warrant search and take evidence . They also have police powers. They are extremely dangerous . They can enter any property at anytime with out Probable cause. I know a man they went in his garage open his freezer and charge him with a crime of having to many fish. No proof of when or what year the number of fish were caught. And there rally was not a lot of them.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links