How long can you really survive?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How long can you really survive? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; With so many different types of disasters that can occur, How long can you really survive on your stock pile? My worst fear is Biological ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How long can you really survive?

With so many different types of disasters that can occur, How long can you really survive on your stock pile?
    My worst fear is Biological Warfare. I feel that we can most likely sustain any other disaster but a biological attack.

How long should you plan to have to be in your shelter or area of refuge? I have hear that 2 weeks underground is all you can really take?

What are your thoughts about this?

I can last a month or so on my supplies. Would rather be 6. I'll get there. Haven't got my serious underground bunker yet so I wouldn't survive if a bio attack was close. As far as underground goes I would think some people could las longer than others. If clostrophobia sets in then you have a problem. I think I could do 6 underground if I had to.
    Be prepared.
    Boy Scout Motto.

We don't have an underground bumper, but we do have a fairly deep dirt basement with a water source. With some reinforcements and planning, I wonder if it would provide us enough protection during a biological attack.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

On the items that we have, we can last about a month. But that is for 2 people only.

We have six months supplies if we bug in. Gas mask with a NATO NBC filter should get you through a bio attack. The wind will clear the pathogens in 24 hours. Duct tape some plastic sheeting around all the doors and windows and get a high quality air filter for your air handler. If the attack is a virus that is spread person to person, stay in there til it is all over. This is an extremely abbreviated solution. Anyone who wants to add to it should feel free.
    As far as how long you can take, people get snowed in for months. They get cabin fever, but they get through it. There are people in the International space station who have been up there for a long while. Make sure you have some cards and find some exercises you can do inside. That will help a lot.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dontlookatme View Post
    On the items that we have, we can last about a month. But that is for 2 people only.
    Thanks. That's good info right there. I'll be looking into some masks for sure.
    Be prepared.
    Boy Scout Motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Thanks. That's good info right there. I'll be looking into some masks for sure.
    Filters are only good for 24 to 48 hours max before you are supposed to change them...that includes time breathing through them when there is no hazards as well. Dust / Pollen / Water Vapor can mess up the valves and filters. To buy a couple of masks and simply throw them in a box without totally rebuilding them would be a waste of time / money and maybe your life!...... It's like packing a parachute.....Would you pack your own or let some town idiot pack it for you while your at lunch?

When you dont need those masks anymore remember...the filters will be full of the bio-hazard or chemical agent that was in the area and are DEADLY!....If you dont have another mask to switch to and remain in a level 4 MOPP your going to get a dose anyway unless your experienced with working in these conditions. You have to totally disassemble the mask...decontaminate...change filters and valves and dispose of the old filters . Then decontaminate yourself!

I've worked as an NBC Defense NCO and with Chemical and Nuclear weapons for many years in the military and currently live a few miles from one of the biggest Chemical weapon stockpiles in the world. I know DECONTAMINATION! LOL

Having a bunch of masks and an NBC filter is no good if you dont have spares ...OR a RICH UNCLE SAM to hand you what you need for replacements! You need to find how your particular masks work and know how to replace parts! Dont think because its a "GAS MASK" it just works.

"GAS MASKS" do not work on Ammonia...Carbon Monoxide or any other GAS! Gas masks only work on vapors or "MISTS" as in evaporating chemical agents or the mists/powders that Biological agents are sprayed with! Gas masks will NOT stop RADIATION....However it will stop radioactive dust from entering your lungs!

A basement is no better and probably worse than an above ground home in a bio or chemical attack....Agents can seep in and remain in the basement for days since there is not much airflow...At least with an above ground home you can open doors and windows and air it out. WW1 taught many a soldier not to dive into foxholes if they could help it because they were simply "LAKES" of MUSTARD "GAS" (Actually not a gas but an evaporating chemical)...The same would be true with a basement if it wasn't perfectly sealed!
    Last edited by SSGT; 08-29-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Leon likes this.

Great info...

that is great info, i am going to see if there are any newer military field manuals about mask and changing filters to throw into my pile of books.
    Do you have a recommendation of how far under the ground is safe against a biological attack?
    I guess my other worst fear would be my shelter collapsing and i am buried alive.
    We would like to have a facility big enough to hold water and food, circulate air and live comfortably while we need to.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityExplorations View Post
    that is great info, i am going to see if there are any newer military field manuals about mask and changing filters to throw into my pile of books.
    Do you have a recommendation of how far under the ground is safe against a biological attack?
    I guess my other worst fear would be my shelter collapsing and i am buried alive.
    We would like to have a facility big enough to hold water and food, circulate air and live comfortably while we need to.

Forget underground survival against biological agents (Or Chemical!) 24 hours time and fresh air and it shouldnt be a problem any more!...Leave the area for a short time (About a mile or two upwind will do for biological or chemical agents. They actually have a very small footprint unless thousands of old chemical shells explode!!!)

I used to go into ABOVE GROUND bunkers in Europe (Germany) and inventory stockpiles of Chemical weapons and Nuclear weapons monthly. Even if preliminary testing showed leaking chemical agents we would run a vent fan in the bunkers for an hour and go in Maskless/Moppless to finish the inventory! After the inventory we would don gloves and suits....find the munition leaking....mark it and then remove it by hand(No simple task since it weighed in at 200 pounds plus! / 8 inch /203 mm artillery shells)...No big deal if you have lots of fresh air! We would put it in a sealed container and it would be shipped to the US.!

Below ground Bunkers are good for Nuclear Contamination / Tornadoes / Hurricanes only....Anything else is above ground due to the tendency for the bad stuff to settle in low places and then have no airflow to remove it.

Below ground bunkers are no good for general survival otherwise because of some fool finds your fresh air intake and drops a few cups of gasoline down it....your done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links