How to work a room ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to work a room ?

This is a discussion on How to work a room ? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I may have asked this a few years ago I dont recall. I have yet to find much info on this topic. You hear about ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How to work a room ?

How to work a room ?

I may have asked this a few years ago I dont recall. I have yet to find much info on this topic.
    You hear about trained people like soldiers and police and such that walk into a room and immeditaly look for exits and positions with a tactical advantage and observe others in the room. This may be a question for some such professionals in the group. Where can a person learn this ? Im searching for information resources on this topic.
    Thanks again!

WHat you have to do it begin to develop your attention to detail...Have your spouse, friend, whoever lay out about 20 random items on a table and then cover it with a sheet. Then you come in and have them expose it for 20-30 seconds and then cover it back up. Then you have to write down what was there with as much detail you can. Repeat this adding more objects and reducing the exposure time until you can in about 3-5 second get most of the objects listed. Use different objects too...not just the same ones.

And as with anything like this...the training never ends...you just can choose to continue it and get better, or not and slowly lose what you have gained.
    Blackcat, Jeep, Arklatex and 5 others like this.

Thanks! Thats the goal to learn it just seems like a kind of mythical skill set. Not much info out there or perhaps im just not sure what to look for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

As far as tactical advantages...this takes some more understanding. What is cover? What is concealment? Do I want to see well or do I want to be obscure or hidden?

WHen I go in to places over seas I always look around the outside for how the routes look from each direction leading to and away. I look for places that have a direct view into where I am going and look for any activity.

I walk around the building looking for the number and type of exits.

I look for cameras and ATM machines. as I approach them I lower my head and usually put my hand to my mouth/nose area like I'm rubbing my nose with the back of my hand.

When I go into an restaurant I immediately go all the way through to the restroom and look for any obscure entrances, the doors to the kitchen, storage rooms, etc. I then try to get a seat with my back to a solid wall where I can see the majority of the room and any doorways that someone could approach me. I then think about what will I do if someone comes from there, or there, or there, until I have a good egress plan. If I am unarmed, as I am often over in other countries, I immediately open up the utensil napkins and get whatever knife is available with it and place it in my lap or under my leg. I then roll it the napkin back up as though it was unused.

I read the menus that many restaurants have out in front and choose before I even go in so that I will not have my head down in a menu distracted while the waiter is at my table.

Other than that...I can't tell you all the innate things I do...but my wife could cause it pisses her off when we eat out. I know I ask the waiter for the ticket as soon as they bring my food. I eat quickly pay with cash and leave before they usually even have a chance to refill my drink. I often chose take out over dining in to lower my risk, and eat either in another location or in my hotel room.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 09-25-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Blackcat, Renec and AquaHull like this.

Its called hyper vigilance. If you walk into a bar you have never been to, look about casually. ID anyone you think could pose you a problem. Where is the back door? where are you setting relativ to the entrance? is your back to the wall or exit. Are you carrying anything ?

From what I get you may have no experience with this and your asking. I and others can tell you. However, if your looking to be John J Rambo, not gonna happen
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

where can you learn it? Right there at home...start pretending your in danger every time you go out. Start trying to recognize anyone who maybe carrying a concealed weapon. As far as courses you can take? No idea buddy...all of mine are through the military and a few select courses that you couldn't afford.

I learned to hotwire cars in New Orleans, pick locks in Virginia, attention to detail in Sniper school in North Carolina and about 20 deployments. I learned to trust no one from my former friends, to be on the alert for violence- from my drunkard father, and to always think on my feet from just living life.

wish I could help more...but I can't.

and don't think I'm trolling for sympathy...it made me who I am and I am thankful for that which made me stronger.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 09-26-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Jeep, Arklatex, Blackcat and 2 others like this.

I won't touch OSFG's post. I had it rough but not that bad.

You learn these things from being around and paying attention to detail. As a cop anyone I did not know was potential trash to be watched. As a Marine and Soldier, anyone not wearing what I was wearing was trash and to be watched.

I don't know how old you are or what you know already, but you have been indoctrinated to things that really an't be taught. you learn through XP
    Old SF Guy, Arklatex and Blackcat like this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

This is exactly the sort of thing im trying to learn and as much as possible. I have a few questions id like to ask about some of your techniques when I get a chance. Im just studying for an exam tomorrow. Your right Jeep I have no experience with these skills thats why im trying to learn. I tend to be a bit more oblivious than most and it tends to lead me into trouble. Id like to learn how to spot a bad situation before im right in the middle of it.
    Jeep likes this.

This is great stuff OSFG and Jeep. As a lifetime civilian all I know to do is keep the safety off and keep a close watch on people I pre judge to be dirtbags. I also keep an eye on the doors for anyone new to judge as a threat/nonthreat. Situational awareness and intuition are my tools. But I have only been trained by the school of hard knocks...
    Jeep, Blackcat and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    This is exactly the sort of thing im trying to learn and as much as possible. I have a few questions id like to ask about some of your techniques when I get a chance. Im just studying for an exam tomorrow. Your right Jeep I have no experience with these skills thats why im trying to learn. I tend to be a bit more oblivious than most and it tends to lead me into trouble. Id like to learn how to spot a bad situation before im right in the middle of it.
    Well if you pass me your address I'll arrange for someone to beat your ass out of bed in the morning....LOL.
    Blackcat likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links