How to work a room ? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to work a room ?

This is a discussion on How to work a room ? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Jeep I like this thought. I was never one to seek cover. My theory was to advance and end it quickly....or get ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How to work a room ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like this thought. I was never one to seek cover. My theory was to advance and end it quickly....or get ended. Someone said the only thing more scary than a person with a gun, is a person with a gun coming towards you.
    That's especially good when you add Winston Churchill to the statement: "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

May God Bless,
    Dwight
    Blackcat likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Hotwiring cars.... You bring back some very pleasant memories of my youth.

When I was in high school, my dad owned a gas station and I worked there every day after school and on weekends. The station was not in the greatest part of town and he had a contract with a local repo-man to repossess cars from the welfare queens in the projects that did not pay their bills. Once I got old enough to drive, my job was to drive around in the tow truck and haul cars over to the repo-man's lot. It was a great gig because the repo-man always paid in cash and always had as much work as we could take. The old man had it down to a science on how many cars I could tow in a six hour shift and he would ream me out something awful if I ever came up short on my cash count at the end of the night.

That went on for about 6 months and then the repo-man taught me how to greatly improve my productivity! I quit taking the tow truck to get the cars and instead I just used a 4 oz ball-peen hammer to tap a hole in the steering column just below the ignition switch. Using a screw driver, I could then push down the rod to start the car (and disengage the steering wheel lock) and drive it to his lot! Like I say, it was a great gig because with my productivity improvements, I could continue to give the old man the cash for the 7 cars a night he expected and the cash for anything beyond that went straight into young Inor's party fund!

After a short time, I got pretty good at it. This was in the early 80's and all the brothers were driving Cadillacs and Buicks, and GMs were by far the easiest cars to rip. So here I was, 17 years old and basically a "professional car thief" and it was all 100% legal!

Years later I fessed up to the old man about my productivity improvements and how I had shorted him on the cash. I even offered to pay him back. Apparently, he had known about what was going on the whole time and we both had a good laugh about it. :D

Thanks SF! That is a good memory of a much simpler time.
    Love it! What a great experience.

Zed

need to give a thought on this topic

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like this thought. I was never one to seek cover. My theory was to advance and end it quickly....or get ended. Someone said the only thing more scary than a person with a gun, is a person with a gun coming towards you.

Good point. Thats why when cops get into shoot outs with ex-military type folks..the cops often lose. The military training is offensive. Cop training tends toward being defensive.
    CWOLDOJAX and James m like this.

Bingo
    CWOLDOJAX and James m like this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

I try to read personalities. It takes a physical person to start problems. Loudmouths etc.
    Yesterday for example im at the drug store at the check out line. Theres a few people in front they are a big welfare family. All females and take forever in line. As im waiting a guy comes in looking for steak rolls and they don't have any. He remarks to the check out girls and they have no idea what hes saying and state so after he mumbles about having to walk to Wal-Mart or the grocery store. Both don't look like they are going to start anything. Then as im leaving what do I see. A young woman pushing a baby carrier through the street. Loudmouth boyfriend in tow. I see these types all over this town. Ain't got no job so ain't got no car. That's why they're pushing the cart in the street. Sometimes you see double carriers too.
    Where am I going. Oh yea it takes a person to start a problem.

I dont trust anyone in general and im highly suspicious of people who try to move into your life and offer to much way to fast. The phrase "the proof is in the pudding" often come up in my mind. As far as working a room i pay attention and look at peoples eyes and hands. Nervous people tend to be shifty and fidgety. They often exhibit involuntary signs that they are not present and with some event going on on their heads past or soon to be. For the most part im not too worried per sey. But if the hackles go up i become hyper vigilant until im away or the person(s) leave the immediate area. You cant call authorities on a feeling and a few times over the years these bad vibes from certain people have proven true. One dude i hung with a bit at a pool hall always rubbed me the wrong way so i started to avoid the dude. He ended up murdering a woman. Another was jailed for arson. Trust your gut and keep your emotions out of the logic and listening process. We may not as a society be in touch with all our instincts that go unused in the bulk of the population because they are happy to be told what think say do and wear.
    bigwheel and CWOLDOJAX like this.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Walking into a public space, you need to be aware of the entrances and exits. The people who are there and their attitudes and presentations. You need to sit in a place that you can see the entrances and where no one can get behind you but where you have a relatively clear path to at least one exit. Look at the ceiling, the floor and all around. Sweep with your eyes for cameras and mirrors they can help or hurt your chances if something happens.

Watch your local cops when they go into a place to eat. They find a table in the rear of the room, up against the wall, where they can see the entrance and exits.

Cops never go in a place that they feel uneasy unless it is on a call - you should do the same if you don't feel relaxed then get out NOW!

Michael_Js likes this.

I'm new to the forum, lots of reading and questions but on this topic I can give "some" insight I have gained from my years from the school of hard knocks.

I'm not going to touch on Jeep or OSFG posts lots of good info there, but to "Work a room" to me means you are clearing it, left to right top to bottom depending on where you are in the stack. IF you are Detail you know who should be there and you know who shouldn't be there, you are on the clock so that means you should have been brief and "walked" the room before and maybe even after the event, this depends on your part in the detail. IF you are "baby sitting" you are the "comfortable" meter, if you look comfortable they'll be comfortable...

Though as I read the posts, what you seem to be more curious of is knowing your environment or having good (SA) situational awareness.
    Unless you are being paid to kick down that door or hold that property there is no reason to put yourself in that situation.

Rules:
    #1 "stay or go". If you walk two feet to the left, right or whatever and your gut says turn around and leave, turn the F-around and leave. In my younger days I thought I knew better than my gut. I ended up picking up a lot of stitches in the ER late one night because I was not listening to my gut, thinking 6ft2 & 240 is a deterrent. Sounds stupid but 99.9% of the time your gut is right.

#2 Always face the main door and keep any other doors to your sides, not your back. If that can't be done you'll be amazed at how reflective a cell phone screen is when placed on your table. Wife use to hate that I would put my cell phone on the table but the dark glass makes for a natural "low key" mirror. You might look rude, but at least you have 360 SA.

#3 Don't draw attention to yourself, if you know your going to be in a sketchy area, then blend in don't stand out. When I travel, I take a few days off from work, grow some scruff pass up a hair cut, jeans old sneakers, hoody, no camo, nothing that says hey "I'm American". If we are talking travel in the states I'm not going toss on my best suit and walk the wal-mart on the wrong side of town.

#4 if it worked in the movies, it is not going to work for you. You are not going to take out 5 guys in a bar fight with your key chain or some other super weapon.

#5 you don't win a fight you survive a fight, those who do fight know it is not a show of force but overwhelming force, fast and quick. There are no rules, the "person" you may be dealing with isn't going to have a "no face punches" rule he or SHE will beat the holy hell out of you and maybe his/her buddies will to. One of the worst beatings I responded to was 3 20-something girls basically "stomping" a mud hole in some drunk guy.

Remember you shouldn't place yourself in a situation that is going to get you in a set of handcuffs and a date with a judge and more importantly a criminal record that will now follow you that will limit your basic freedoms. Depending on who you and where you are that could go very bad very fast.
    dannydefense likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
    I'm new to the forum, lots of reading and questions but on this topic I can give "some" insight I have gained from my years from the school of hard knocks.

I'm not going to touch on Jeep or OSFG posts lots of good info there, but to "Work a room" to me means you are clearing it, left to right top to bottom depending on where you are in the stack. IF you are Detail you know who should be there and you know who shouldn't be there, you are on the clock so that means you should have been brief and "walked" the room before and maybe even after the event, this depends on your part in the detail. IF you are "baby sitting" you are the "comfortable" meter, if you look comfortable they'll be comfortable...

Though as I read the posts, what you seem to be more curious of is knowing your environment or having good (SA) situational awareness.
    Unless you are being paid to kick down that door or hold that property there is no reason to put yourself in that situation.

Rules:
    #1 "stay or go". If you walk two feet to the left, right or whatever and your gut says turn around and leave, turn the F-around and leave. In my younger days I thought I knew better than my gut. I ended up picking up a lot of stitches in the ER late one night because I was not listening to my gut, thinking 6ft2 & 240 is a deterrent. Sounds stupid but 99.9% of the time your gut is right.

#2 Always face the main door and keep any other doors to your sides, not your back. If that can't be done you'll be amazed at how reflective a cell phone screen is when placed on your table. Wife use to hate that I would put my cell phone on the table but the dark glass makes for a natural "low key" mirror. You might look rude, but at least you have 360 SA.

#3 Don't draw attention to yourself, if you know your going to be in a sketchy area, then blend in don't stand out. When I travel, I take a few days off from work, grow some scruff pass up a hair cut, jeans old sneakers, hoody, no camo, nothing that says hey "I'm American". If we are talking travel in the states I'm not going toss on my best suit and walk the wal-mart on the wrong side of town.

#4 if it worked in the movies, it is not going to work for you. You are not going to take out 5 guys in a bar fight with your key chain or some other super weapon.

#5 you don't win a fight you survive a fight, those who do fight know it is not a show of force but overwhelming force, fast and quick. There are no rules, the "person" you may be dealing with isn't going to have a "no face punches" rule he or SHE will beat the holy hell out of you and maybe his/her buddies will to. One of the worst beatings I responded to was 3 20-something girls basically "stomping" a mud hole in some drunk guy.

Remember you shouldn't place yourself in a situation that is going to get you in a set of handcuffs and a date with a judge and more importantly a criminal record that will now follow you that will limit your basic freedoms. Depending on who you and where you are that could go very bad very fast.
    I will only say that as a single person I never think in terms of "Clearing" a room.. I think in terms of getting my ass out alive. My clearing thoughts are done with respect to assaults that I don;t do alone or as an adhoc attack. But I don't find fault in your logic. Survival is utmost of importance and I fight like a wraith to maintain it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links