How to work a room ? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to work a room ?

This is a discussion on How to work a room ? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Im late 30s and travel quite a bit to various countries which takes me into some pretty rough areas. I know... Some of the basics ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How to work a room ?

Im late 30s and travel quite a bit to various countries which takes me into some pretty rough areas. I know... Some of the basics dealing with confrontations and such. What little I know ive picked up myself over time. I tend to be less observant than most and things just seem to go un noticed all around me. It gets me into pretty bad situations fairly frequently. Ive been reading information about situational awareness to develop this skill. I havent really had a rough life or anything to really challenge me to develop these skills naturally. It also makes me feel less capable of protecting my family. Not incapable Im good as long as I see whats coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Well if you pass me your address I'll arrange for someone to beat your ass out of bed in the morning....LOL.
    Haha thanks thats a tempting offer.

I grew up in Long Beach Ca. Los Angeles County, at the height of gang warfare. I went to school with about 200 guys who are now dead. None even made it to the service. Before I went into the Marines, I wore a Red sweatshirt, not good if Crips were about. They like Blue not red. Caused problems. When I went to my future wifes local it was Mexican gangs. By brother in law was killed about 4 years after we divorced.

I was skinny but in great shape. I had a title some gang members respected. But I was alone.
    Last edited by Jeep; 09-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

OSFG & Jeep, . . . thanks, guys, . . . you made my day at 0800 on a Friday morning.

Your "building checkout" and your "restaurant" ideas, . . . I do those things without even thinking about it any more.

I do sometimes get into the menu though, . . . at 69 I sometimes need something a bit different just to keep my interest kicked up.

But it's good info from both, . . . thanks.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 09-26-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

My friends always thought I was weird for scanning a bar/restaurant and for sitting with my back to the wall.
    I guess my Tunnel Rat friend taught me well.
    Old SF Guy, dwight55 and Slippy like this.

Usually ask where the restroom is and pick out details there and back if we have to wait for a table.
    As often as I can I sit with my back to a wall. Once seated I read nearby faces.
    I've gotten better at that since my hearing is bad.
    Old SF Guy, Jeep and dwight55 like this.
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    I learned to hotwire cars in New Orleans
    Hotwiring cars.... You bring back some very pleasant memories of my youth.

When I was in high school, my dad owned a gas station and I worked there every day after school and on weekends. The station was not in the greatest part of town and he had a contract with a local repo-man to repossess cars from the welfare queens in the projects that did not pay their bills. Once I got old enough to drive, my job was to drive around in the tow truck and haul cars over to the repo-man's lot. It was a great gig because the repo-man always paid in cash and always had as much work as we could take. The old man had it down to a science on how many cars I could tow in a six hour shift and he would ream me out something awful if I ever came up short on my cash count at the end of the night.

That went on for about 6 months and then the repo-man taught me how to greatly improve my productivity! I quit taking the tow truck to get the cars and instead I just used a 4 oz ball-peen hammer to tap a hole in the steering column just below the ignition switch. Using a screw driver, I could then push down the rod to start the car (and disengage the steering wheel lock) and drive it to his lot! Like I say, it was a great gig because with my productivity improvements, I could continue to give the old man the cash for the 7 cars a night he expected and the cash for anything beyond that went straight into young Inor's party fund!

After a short time, I got pretty good at it. This was in the early 80's and all the brothers were driving Cadillacs and Buicks, and GMs were by far the easiest cars to rip. So here I was, 17 years old and basically a "professional car thief" and it was all 100% legal!

Years later I fessed up to the old man about my productivity improvements and how I had shorted him on the cash. I even offered to pay him back. Apparently, he had known about what was going on the whole time and we both had a good laugh about it. :D

Thanks SF! That is a good memory of a much simpler time.
    Last edited by Inor; 09-26-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I may have asked this a few years ago I dont recall. I have yet to find much info on this topic.
    You hear about trained people like soldiers and police and such that walk into a room and immeditaly look for exits and positions with a tactical advantage and observe others in the room. This may be a question for some such professionals in the group. Where can a person learn this ? Im searching for information resources on this topic.
    Thanks again!
    Sounds a bit like you may be looking for what is called "Active Shooter Training." It was developed mainly in response to the mass murders at Columbine. It teaches the responders to go toward the action as opposed to setting up a perimeter and calling SWAT. Its sort of an abbreviated version of what SWAT and prob some military folks go through. Its a real good course but not sure its offered to civilians. Sure the School Districts where they are allowing the staff to pack are utilizing it. They are putting just about all cops through it. Its funded by the Feds. I been through it twice. Felt like I learned a lot. This tells a bit about it I think.
    Active Shooter Preparedness | Homeland Security

Also check out "slicing the pie"
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-a-Building-with-a-Firearm
    Last edited by bigwheel; 09-26-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Jeep likes this.

I like this thought. I was never one to seek cover. My theory was to advance and end it quickly....or get ended. Someone said the only thing more scary than a person with a gun, is a person with a gun coming towards you.
    dwight55, CWOLDOJAX and bigwheel like this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

fear is the mind killer.
    dwight55 likes this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links