Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

ISIS attack on US electriccould kill 9 out of 10- From Washington Examiner.com 9-3-14

4K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  RNprepper 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The result of an EMP attack on the U.S. grid system has been well known for years. The entire U.S. grid system of the U.S. could be protected from both EMP and a Carrington type event from the Sun for approximately 4 Billion dollars, not exactly chump change but when considering the huge amount of deaths it could prevent, well worth the money. The U.S. be on the receiving end of an EMP attack is a very good possibility. The U.S. someday being on the receiving end of another Carrington type of even is a CERTAINTY.

#3 ·
The result of an EMP attack on the U.S. grid system has been well known for years. The entire U.S. grid system of the U.S. could be protected from both EMP and a Carrington type event from the Sun for approximately 4 Billion dollars, not exactly chump change but when considering the huge amount of deaths it could prevent, well worth the money. The U.S. be on the receiving end of an EMP attack is a very good possibility. The U.S. someday being on the receiving end of another Carrington type of even is a CERTAINTY.
I'm sure you have some data on how this is? How ISIS has the means and abilities to affect such a threat?

#4 · (Edited)
The muslime in chief and his EPA are doing a much better job of attacking our power grid, attacking our coal production and our current coal power plants, attacking the oil industry at the federal level by not opening more oil and gas exploration on Federal Land, making it difficult and costly to open up new refineries. My prediction is that new laws and regulations will be enacted for our "safety"; inspired by the threat of ISIS, which will be another attack on our fuel and power production.

What these muslime's have learned is that the mere threat of an attack will cause our bureaucrats to pass laws and stifling regulations "to save the children" that end up hurting us...without them firing a shot. But when the time is right, and we are so overcome with oppressive regulations and laws and are unable to defend, they will strike.

FUBAR isn't it?

#5 ·
come on we have been screaming for years that the power grid is a big target, and now the media starts paying attention...

oh its because of Isis, let's face it, this is not the first "terror" group to be a threat to the USA.... so why listen to us now, we have the I told you so sympathy cards all ready to go

#14 ·
I could care less if the system goes down, not one more cent for any more government projects, by now we know the drill they complain the end of the world is coming and they need to tax everything and not one cent will be spent on what the money was supposed to be used on. What happened to all those billions spent on shovel read jobs nothing happened except a lot more government made millionaires.

#22 ·
out of all the vents... an EMP event would make it a very short struggle for many.. if it happened in the middle of winter... the northern states would be toast.. if it happened in winter and then there was a large snow storm.. we would for sure lose much of new york, pittsburgh, detroit, etc

I would prefer not to have SHTF..however EMP would be preferred over pandemic, nuke, or some other events

#23 ·
a year? how about 2 months? we would emerge out the other side a very very different country.
I was in NY during the last big blackout...3 days in and there was the beginnings of panic. never mind the fact that we still had running water!
Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#27 ·
A Congressional report on the subject projected that within 1 year 9 out of 10 Americans would be dead from starvation, exposure to the elements, medical emergencies, and civil unrest. 90% dead. The estimate on how long it would take to restore the grid is not months but YEARS, if at all. Large transformers have to be ordered 1 year in advance. They are NOT manufactured in the U.S., that's done in Germany and China. If it takes one year to manufacture NOW, how long would it take if those countries were flooded with orders, and would a country like China prefer to sit back and let the U.S. totally collapse and then just walk in and take over, or would they try to get as many transformers to us as possible? Personally I don't think that they would be too concerned about helping us out.

Transportation, food distribution and production, medical care, emergency services, law enforcement, and communications systems would all collapse. Vehicles may or may not work, but if they did work it would only be until gasoline ran out, and regular pumps at the gas station would not work. Basically the only fresh food that you would be able to acquire would be whatever you grow or raise yourself, and whatever you can get hunting. Speaking of hunting, for those who are planning on living from that, how many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, will decide that they need to hunt for game to survive? Think game might become scarce real fast?

#29 ·
Basically the only fresh food that you would be able to acquire would be whatever you grow or raise yourself, and whatever you can get hunting. Speaking of hunting, for those who are planning on living from that, how many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, will decide that they need to hunt for game to survive? Think game might become scarce real fast?
There won't be time to hunt. You'll be too busy protecting what you already have.

#28 ·
There is a lot of truths in the previous posts and some misunderstandings. I'm not going to go into a big rehash about this because it's previous threads have pretty well covered it. There is a big difference between an EMP and a Geomagnetic Storm. The $4 billion was a number bandied about to protect the grid from a large Geomagnetic Storm, not an EMP. Each requires its own type of safety equipment. An EMP mainly effects micro circuitry such as almost everything we use today, a Geomag. Storm will effect the highlines and the transformers (especially the giant ones) connected to long line "electrical grid"
Electromagnetic Pulse - EMP Myths - futurescience.com
HowStuffWorks "How Faraday Cages Work"
Protecting Your Electrical Equipment from Solar Flares

#31 ·
My neighborhood which is hardly a neighborhood is widely known as Prepper country and Freeman. Very few will venture this way to raid and plunder, no matter the disaster

#36 ·
Once again,I must agree with Para...a year? no way! 2-3 months and the population would be decimated!
2 days without water,2 weeks without food..that would wipe out most urban areas within a month. Half of those folks don't realize that food doesn't actually get made at the supermarket!!!
and hunt? Even if the urbanites could get past actually handling a gun,and get lucky enough to shoot wild game..they likely wouldn't have the stomach to butcher it.
contaminated water would claim many with the first weeks.

Reactions: Zed
#39 ·
Cannibal-1, " Wow the body of Maine-Marine tastes good...ok the dessert time, where is the brain?"
Cannibal-2," Boss he got no brain."
Cannibal-3," Boss i think cannibal-4 ate it when we were eating meat."
Cannibal-4," How dare you say that?" Shoots Cannibal-3.
Cannibal-2 shoots Cannibal-4...
Now Cannibal -2 and Cannibal - 1 look at each other for gourmet...the Balls...
Both draw guns and shoot each other..
Maine - Marine in heaven yells, " Told you idiot, don't eat me!!" :lol:

#41 ·
Actually, the first explorers and gold seekers who went into the highlands of New Guinea learned real fast about how to smoke cigarettes. Seems the native people (who were cannibalistic at the time) didn't like the taste of the meat from smokers. The only time in history that smoking saved lives!

#42 ·
Sun spots 2157 and 2158 have been pretty active. They will rotate into perfect geo-effective position in the next day or two. 2158 put out a good sized flare (M4.5) and CME this morning. The shock wave should hit earth on 9/12. Not to worry this time, but one of these days the Big One will hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.