Make Your Own Ration Bars
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Make Your Own Ration Bars within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Make Your Own Ration Bars By 'Above Average' Joe 3 Comments Want to be the BEST prepared for the WORST to come? Click here to ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Urinal Cake
  • 4 Post By TGus
  • 2 Post By charito
  • 1 Post By acidMia
  • 2 Post By charito

Thread: Make Your Own Ration Bars

By 'Above Average' Joe 3 Comments

Want to be the BEST prepared
    for the WORST to come? Click here to sign up NOW! We'll even throw in a FREE survival tool! (just pay s&h)
    Have you ever wanted to make your own survival ration bars? Like the survival ration bars the stores sell, but homemade so you know what’s in them. Well, I got together with a few friends to make some homemade survival ration bars and here’s how it turned out. Make sure to read through the comments when you’re done for some suggestions on making them better!

Apparently there are a couple of different recipes out there for these survival bars, we just used one I had been given by a food storage lady. This was really an interesting experiment, because there were 6 of us making these survival bread loaves, and of course they turned out 6 different ways. We’ll discuss what happened as we go through the directions.

Ingredients:

2 cups oats

2 1/2 cups powdered milk

1 cup sugar

3 TB honey

1 3 oz package jello (orange or lemon)

3 TB water

Mix the oats, powdered milk, and sugar together in a bowl: A couple of us used regular oats, a couple used quick oats. I really don’t think it matters which you use—whatever you have on hand is fine.

In a medium pan mix water, jello and honey. Bring to a boil. This is just the 3 TB water called for, not the cup of water you’d usually use when making jello. We found that a rolling boil was better than just beginning to boil for the mixing step. The recipe I had specifically called for lemon or orange jello, but we didn’t know why that would be, so we made some with raspberry and watermelon jello also. After we tasted them, we figured the lemon or orange were specified due to the high amount of sugar in this recipe! The loaves made with sweet jello flavors were REALLY sweet when they were done!

https://survivallife.com/make-ration...n=slnl20180128
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

Thanks. We try to make granola bars to have for breakfast with our yogurt. This sounds like a winner.

Here's something that'll last as long as a holiday fruit cake: (My wife made some yesterday, and she couldn't tell me exact proportions.)

SLOWLY melt marshmallows in a pot. When they are melted, thoroughly mix in Rice Krispies, (I've seen her use granola instead.), and any combination of seeds, nuts, or dried fruit. I think you can put in at least 3 times as much dry stuff as marshmallow. (The marshmallow only acts as a thin binder.) After it's thoroughly mixed, put it in a baking pan, then cut it into whatever sizes you want while it's still warm.

When it cools, it won't be sticky, and will have the consistency of a well-baked cookie. It can last a year bagged in plastic.

As honey deters mold, you may want to add a little honey when mixing to make it last even longer.
    Last edited by TGus; 01-29-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    bigwheel, charito, acidMia and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I made non-baked granola bars and they're cut and individually wrapped in the freezer. Aside from oats, they're also loaded with squash seeds, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, cranberries and raisins. Because they're also loaded with protein, they are very filling.

I aim to make different types with varying mixes - one would even have citrus peel. Adding dates and prunes are also in the card.

Freezer space becomes valuable, therefore what I keep in the freezer must be worth the space.
    I would also venture into making some baked ones.....when I get the time.
    Last edited by charito; 02-02-2018 at 05:23 AM.
    bigwheel and JustAnotherNut like this.

Why have I never thought to add Jell-o in to these bars. And adding to the rice krispie squares - what a great idea!

Clearly I'm lacking some imagination in the kitchen
    @charito do you add powdered protein, or are your ingredients just protein packed for themselves?
    bigwheel likes this.
    :: Mia

Quote Originally Posted by acidMia View Post
    Why have I never thought to add Jell-o in to these bars. And adding to the rice krispie squares - what a great idea!

Clearly I'm lacking some imagination in the kitchen
    @charito do you add powdered protein, or are your ingredients just protein packed for themselves?

They're just protein-packed with nuts and seeds. Remember that oats has decent amount of protein.

Salted peanuts will be good in contrast with the sweet.
    Also a chocolatey kind of granola (melted chocolate chips) - rice krispies, raisins and peanuts will be good
    with it.

I'm also intrigued by the jello. Never heard of that.....sounds good.
    Last edited by charito; 02-02-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    acidMia and bigwheel like this.

Sponsored Links