Alternative Uses For Honey
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Alternative Uses For Honey within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Alternative Uses For Honey When we speak of honey, the word sweet is usually not far behind. Itís because honey contains different types of sugars ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Alternative Uses For Honey

When we speak of honey, the word sweet is usually not far behind. Itís because honey contains different types of sugars such as fructose, glucose, sucrose, and maltose.

It is produced by bees from the nectar of flowers and stocked up for the long winter season. We, humans, then harvest this honey for our own consumption.

We are all aware of the great uses for honey in the kitchen, but there is more to this sweet nectar than meets the eye.

Much like your regular Swiss Army Knife, honey has a multitude of uses that goes beyond its wonderful taste. It is a little known fact that it contains a lot of nutrients essential to our health.

It also possesses antimicrobial properties that are good for treating bacterial and fungal infections. Honey is also packed with antioxidants which prevent the formation of free radicals that cause a number of diseases.

And so, in prepping for any type of emergency, you better add honey to your stockpile because when SHTF, this sweet little treat will provide you with the much-needed calories for stressful situations.

No need to worry because honey has a long shelf life so itíll last a while, and if youíre still wondering how it will come in handy in disastrous situations, read on because Iíve made a list!

1. Treats wounds and burns

Topical application of honey on your wounds and burns works just as well as commercial antiseptics. The antimicrobial properties of honey prevent bacterial infection while hydrogen peroxide reduces inflammation and cleans the wound.

Continue Reading
    Alternative Uses For Honey | Prepping 1O1
    Denton, redhawk, SDF880 and 1 others like this.
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

We mix the honey with elderberry juice (we grow the plants) as a means to prevent the flu. I add a 1/4 cup of moonshine/pint of mix ------ to help prevent cough of course. The grandkids take the un-doctored mix.

Make meade.
    Also, good for allergies if you use local honey.
    SDF880, Denton and RJAMES like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Have it in 60 pound pails and 5 pound jugs.

I use the 5 pound ones for making bread.
    Denton, SDF880, paraquack and 1 others like this.

Best use for honey is on buttered biscuit followed by making beer/ bread . Yes you can use it on wounds. Good Idea to stockpile but a better idea is to keep bees. The bees are good for pollination and you can use the honey to replace sugar or other sweeteners.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    Best use for honey is on buttered biscuit followed by making beer/ bread . Yes you can use it on wounds. Good Idea to stockpile but a better idea is to keep bees. The bees are good for pollination and you can use the honey to replace sugar or other sweeteners.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm too old to start another project as demanding as beekeeping, but my neighbor has hives and I have two top bar hives and all necessary equipment/protective gear, where post crisis, we could greatly increase honey production.
    paraquack likes this.

Actually, . . . beekeeping is not that labor intensive, . . . if you are a lazy cuss like me.

I go out and flip my top brood box to the bottom, . . . bottom brood box to the top, . . . generally the first good 65 degree sunshiney day in March.

Once the weather starts to warm up a bit, . . . after I flip the boxes, . . . mix up some honey and water, . . . put in the feeder jars, . . . put on the hive.

I'll feed them for a couple of weeks.

Put the feeders away, . . . put a super or two on the hive, . . .

Come September, . . . go get the honey. Can it, . . . kick back and make some biscuits.

Generally speaking, . . . I get 8 to 11 quarts of honey for each super, . . . with two supers on my one hive.

Gonna have two hives hopefully this year, . . . so it'll double my work, . . . but I like honey, . . . and have lots of friends with a sweet tooth, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I Take a daily dose of local honey and turmeric.

I would love to have a hive or two, but sting gets me a restricted/swollen airway. Hell I stockpile epipens and epinephrine vials and syringes.......
    paraquack and dwight55 like this.

I find that a spoon of honey in a glass of hot milk helps me sleep. Maybe the honey activates the tryptophan in the milk.
    Steve40th likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links