A Solution for the Cities in SHTF? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A Solution for the Cities in SHTF?

This is a discussion on A Solution for the Cities in SHTF? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by TGus Food: Gardens can be grown on roofs and local parks That's it? That's all it takes, plus maybe catching a few ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: A Solution for the Cities in SHTF?

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    Food: Gardens can be grown on roofs and local parks
    That's it? That's all it takes, plus maybe catching a few fish? You understand for experienced farmers, it can take a minimum of one acre per person, with many groups saying up to 5? Where will all this seed come from? Have you given thought to what food would be best to grow to maximize nutrition & calories? Are all these seeds open pollinated so that you can save seed for next year? Where will all the tools come from? How do you protect these gardens from some of the hundreds of thousands of starving folk nearby? What will you do during drought or when an unexpected freeze kills off all your work? How will you stop plant disease and insect attack? Mother Nature can be a bitch. You really have that many experienced farmers in the city?

For any plan to work requires preparation. Besides dreaming about this, how are you prepared to actually make it work? Just saying we can grow crops in the parks or on the roofs ain't a plan. At the point you provide a workable answer/solution for all these questions, and a hundred more, then maybe you have a chance.
    Last edited by Redneck; 01-23-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    A Watchman and MountainGirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    Food: Gardens can be grown on roofs and local parks
    Let's not forget the fertile grounds of the subway! Oh My!
    Redneck likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Let's not forget the fertile grounds of the subway! Oh My!
    I was playing nice & didn't even go there. Like, where is all this rich, garden soil going to come from & who is going to haul it by hand up on the roofs of dozens/hundreds of buildings?
    A Watchman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    More like Homie will beat, kill and take anything they have weather they needed it or not.
    C’mon Smitty901, you must be some kind of pessimist. Look at what the nice folks (read that as protesters) in Baltimore did a few years back. Ooops, you’re a realist, not a pessimist. I like watching the less fortunate get a chance to go on “shopping sprees”.

Far too many, I believe realistic post apocalyptic movies and books out there showing what “life” will be like. If that is not convincing and I understand nay sayers thinking that this is Hollywood or some ones idea of what post catastrophe life could be like, look no further than how real life examples have played out. Baltimore, Ferguson had a police presence and post Katrina where the police went home, IMHO, gives all of us a sneak preview of what life in a SHTF or WROL life will be like. Bands of marauders went and took food, etc from the aged. They start with the soft targets first then work their way up the food chain.

Just my cheerful outlook.
    Last edited by 0rocky; 01-23-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    MountainGirl likes this.

I am not sure how anybody (even me) could make it work.. it is not like you have a community of like minded folks willing to get together and plant crops and fish..... NY, Detroit, Chicago, Miami, LA.. you will have takers like locusts feeding on the labors of others and killing them or leaving them to die.

not enough land in major cities to grow crops.. the best they could hope for is to have uncle sam arrive with help... which in the event of a major SHTF will be short lived

Serious.. lets look at the things need for survival..

WATER - CLEAN WATER... unless you are prepared now to filter it you are going to be sick if you live in a city .... tell me how you are going to get enough CLEAN water to live... how many other GROUPS territories will you have to pass through to get it

Food - where is the renewable source of food

shelter... how will you heat the place in the middle of sub zero winter
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    That's it? That's all it takes, plus maybe catching a few fish? You understand for experienced farmers, it can take a minimum of one acre per person, with many groups saying up to 5? Where will all this seed come from? Have you given thought to what food would be best to grow to maximize nutrition & calories? Are all these seeds open pollinated so that you can save seed for next year? Where will all the tools come from? How do you protect these gardens from some of the hundreds of thousands of starving folk nearby? What will you do during drought or when an unexpected freeze kills off all your work? How will you stop plant disease and insect attack? Mother Nature can be a bitch. You really have that many experienced farmers in the city?

For any plan to work requires preparation. Besides dreaming about this, how are you prepared to actually make it work? Just saying we can grow crops in the parks or on the roofs ain't a plan. At the point you provide a workable answer/solution for all these questions, and a hundred more, then maybe you have a chance.
    Right. And unless @TGus can come back and prove otherwise... he's like the people who have read all kinds of books on construction but never had a hammer in their hands.

Everybody is entitled to their own delusions- forces of nature will weed them out quickly. The danger in posts of this nature is when others here, especially those who are just learning how to prep, start to believe this spew and bank their lives, and the lives of their families, on it.

JMO
    Redneck likes this.
    Vanished, into the mist.

For all the positives I can think of with my current neighbours and the sense of community, I can't shake the pessimistic (realistic?) thought train that, while the dozen or so houses directly surrounding mine would be well and good (older generations that know a thing or two about manually doing a thing or two, already run solar/alternative energy sources and rain collection, maintain gardens with seeds and surplus year over year, etc), that doesn't account for the other couple hundred houses in the streets surrounding us. Nor does it take into account the fact that we're about 500ft from the back of a WalMart - once that place is ransacked, the next 'logical' thought is that the houses nearest to it obviously got there first and so they have the supplies these slackers need. I guess the one saving grace is that we aren't directly across the front of it.

If only I could pick us all up and move us far away
    Redneck, sideKahr and 0rocky like this.
    :: Mia

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    I do not see people banding together successfully in places like Newark, Detroit and other bastions of liberalism. I predict they will eat each other.
    The S has NOT YET hit the fan in these cities and they eat each other (not in a nice way) already. I remember during the Mini WROL during the riots in Baltimore, they were murdering each other in a fast pace. It was like a free day to do whatever you want without consequence. Just imagine if it was a full blown SHTF.
    Camel923 and SOCOM42 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Right. And unless @TGus can come back and prove otherwise... he's like the people who have read all kinds of books on construction but never had a hammer in their hands.

Everybody is entitled to their own delusions- forces of nature will weed them out quickly. The danger in posts of this nature is when others here, especially those who are just learning how to prep, start to believe this spew and bank their lives, and the lives of their families, on it.

JMO
    I can't prove it to you, but I've been an ardent prepper since 1999, and a survivalist for half my 63 year old life. -And there's nothing wrong with reading a lot of books. I read at least one per week, and it used to be 2. Furthermore, I've organized survival outings, and been in many leadership and administrative positions since I was 25. If you want proof of my experience, I suggest you read past posts of mine, and see how realistic or practical the suggestions are.

Lastly, please don't resort to ad hominem attacks when you can't argue successfully against someone else's points. Why attack me, when I have nothing but respect for you?
    Louie’sMom2 likes this.

Super Moderator

if I'm stuck in this heavily populated area and something really bad happens, probably the best I can hope for is to keep indoors for a few months then if we're lucky we could bug out after the dust settles.
    MountainGirl and sideKahr like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links