Who Survives/Dies in SHTF?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Who Survives/Dies in SHTF? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Gotta be flexible, resilient, decisive and determined among other things to have a real chance in real chaos.... Did you ever wonder about the differences ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Who Survives/Dies in SHTF?

Gotta be flexible, resilient, decisive and determined among other things to have a real chance in real chaos....

Did you ever wonder about the differences in how people behave in a crisis? Why some people survive and some people die? Are there characteristics that we can nurture now in good times that could help see us through bad times?

I’d talked with Selco previously about who lives and who doesn’t in a long-term emergency, and a great determiner is a flexible mindset. In this interview, we go deeper into who can withstand the stress of an SHTF event and who crumbles. Today he shares his insights from the Balkan War.
    Selco: Who Survives and Who Dies When the SHTF?

Obviously, luck plays a big part, as stated in that article. I hope I have what it takes. I prep well, have lots of food/seed in storage and am well along in my journey for self reliance. But maybe my best trait is knowing that shit happens... and you just deal with it. I'm generally a problem solver & don't get all bothered when things go wrong. My first thoughts are how to fix it or how to circumvent it... not cry about it. Guess I'm a glass half empty kinda guy. I expect bad things to happen.
    RedLion and TGus like this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    We can do our best to plan , but we all are subject to outside forces of which we cannot predict, we can prepare but we can’t predict......
    Last edited by rstanek; 01-19-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
    RedLion and dwight55 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If you are under the A-bomb when it explodes your, dead. If you're 25 miles away, you live for a while.
    If you have plenty of supplies, knowledge, skills, good health, a non-lazy mind set, and the mind set
    to actually do what is absolutely necessary to survive, including defending yourself and your family,
    there's a chance you might live longer. If you are in a trustworthy group of like minded people with you,
    you might live a lot longer. Take away any one of these and your life depends on a lot of luck.
    Redneck, RedLion, Camel923 and 3 others like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    If you are under the A-bomb when it explodes your, dead. If you're 25 miles away, you live for a while.
    If you have plenty of supplies, knowledge, skills, good health, a non-lazy mind set, and the mind set
    to actually do what is absolutely necessary to survive, including defending yourself and your family,
    there's a chance you might live longer. If you are in a trustworthy group of like minded people with you,
    you might live a lot longer. Take away any one of these and your life depends on a lot of luck.
    If your 25 miles away and down wind, you are still dead......eventually......
    Redwood Country likes this.

So much goes into it. Long term, short term, causes of the S hitting the fan ect.
    Security, without it your are done.
    Control your space another part of security if you don't hold your ground you will lose it.
    Distance from others, If they are not with you then you want them as far away as you can keep them. Security again.
    Courage to take action, you must be willing and ready to act. Back to Security again.
    While you move on and deal with what must be done continue to improve Security.
    sideKahr and Prepared One like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Obviously, luck plays a big part, as stated in that article. I hope I have what it takes. I prep well, have lots of food/seed in storage and am well along in my journey for self reliance. But maybe my best trait is knowing that shit happens... and you just deal with it. I'm generally a problem solver & don't get all bothered when things go wrong. My first thoughts are how to fix it or how to circumvent it... not cry about it. Guess I'm a glass half empty kinda guy. I expect bad things to happen.
    You sound like a well prepared man. I like to think that I hold similar abilities to make things happen when they must and not hesitate. Not saying that I would not get wound-up, but that I have been in enough stressful and life and death situations to know that I can respond even if fearful.
    Redneck and dwight55 like this.

A lot depends on your mind set. Do you remember the Finnish ferry that sunk in the Baltic Sea, with 800+ dead? The survivors reported that many people just sat there, refusing to act to save themselves. It's a recognized psychological response to a deadly threat: people freeze. In a SHTF situation, we'll see a lot of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/29/wo...pagewanted=all

All depends on if your in range and whether you realize it before it's to late.

At 73, . . . I've seen enough to know or at least be convinced, . . . the greatest asset is "mindset".

Without the mindset to survive, . . . might as well take the cyanide pill right now, . . . because it will not happen.

With the mindset to survive, . . . just maybe, given the right circumstances, . . . right opportunities.

I preach and teach at my church that the words "luck" and "coincidence" are made up words. Neither are found anywhere in the Bible. But OTOH, . . . if you trust in the Lord, follow His leading, no matter the outcome, . . . you will be in His will, . . . nothing could be better.

I'm "prepared" to try to survive, . . . but I don't know if He intends for me to do that. But, . . . I'm a winner either way.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links