Non Perishable Small Preps - Advise?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Non Perishable Small Preps - Advise? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Looking for a list from this great community. The project I'm about to engage includes a tote like this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...anium/15940602 It will be wrapped in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Non Perishable Small Preps - Advise?

Looking for a list from this great community. The project I'm
    about to engage includes a tote like this.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...anium/15940602
    It will be wrapped in plastic. Then bagged in plastic.
    Then buried not too deep. I don't plan on digging it up unless
    its crisis time. The other element of this is that its at a bug out
    location. Its something I may reach only with my wife and what
    I can carry on foot. So when I reach it I want things in it that I
    need but couldn't have carried.

Clearly I need non perishable goods or if perishable a very very
    long life span. I'm really not worried about it being found. Its too
    remote a location. Extremely remote. I got to hike in this area
    this weekend and its awesome. There are other preppers in my
    group who will settle in this area.

What would I add to the tote: I was thinking a couple of 25
    year life cans of food items. First aid non perishable. Blankets
    the small mylar type. Small tools. Maybe a little ammo.

I'm thinking that I may try to add a tote to this area once a
    year maybe twice. What would be your priority?
    RedLion likes this.

Personally I would not trust my preps to a weak container like that. You can buy PVC cheaply and make sturdy water-proof container tubes using it. Ammo cans, including larger 25mm cans are good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    Personally I would not trust my preps to a weak container like that. You can buy PVC cheaply and make sturdy water-proof container tubes using it. Ammo cans, including larger 25mm cans are good as well.
    I was hoping for something around 40 - 50
    gallon. The tote I used in the link is an example.
    I'm still looking for a viable option. PVC with
    caps seems so much smaller in dimension.
    Cost is also a factor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Mickey D and SGG like this.

You could also look to use buckets and lids as well. Not food grade, but that non-food grade variety found at lowes. The tote you posted is too flimsy.
    Redneck and Redwood Country like this.

How long you planning on staying at this location? Two people will go through a lot of food & other items.

Would it be possible to rent a storage unit in the closest town, where you could store 6 gal. pails of long term storage food? Then make the occasional hike to retrieve it? Worst case, pull out all the storage & hide it short term until you can later retrieve it? I'm not a fan of underground storage and not a fan of running out of food.
    Last edited by Redneck; 01-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    RedLion and Redwood Country like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    How long you planning on staying at this location? Two people will go through a lot of food & other items.

Would it be possible to rent a storage unit in the closest town, where you could store 6 gal. pails of long term storage food? Then make the occasional hike to retrieve it? Worst case, pull out all the storage & hide it short term until you can later retrieve it? I'm not a fan of underground storage and not a fan of running out of food.
    It is too remote. If I bug out to this spot I doubt that I'm
    coming back to any sort of town. The closest community
    will be a decent group of prepared people from our church.
    The land is public but surrounded by private property owned
    by one of our members.

This is a latch ditch bug out.

If it is that remote consider a metal shipping container if you can afford it. I read about some preps found in a national forest after wild fires the sites had been there for years with no one noticing until the fire crews were literally on top of it fighting the fire. Unfortunate it was found.

I would want heavier plastic for the container. What ever you get pack it completely full and use silicon sealant on the lid. Enclose everything inside in zip locks or shrink wrap plastic. A container of water proof containers . It has to be buried in an area with no danger of flooding, below the frost line.

Canned meals like- chili, beef stew, ravioli, spam , canned ham -stuff you do not have to cook, water filter, collapsible water containers, matches, knife/ multi tool, a couple plastic spoons. The next container or containers added, think about dehydrated #10 cans of food. Use a can to heat water to re hydrate the food you set the can on and off the fire with the multi tool so you do not burn the hell out of your hand.

Besides people you have to worry about animals digging things up. Try to be very careful not to get any food odors on the contents or the container. After you dig the hole and place your container pour just a a little 1 or 2 ounces of used motor oil then finish covering with soil.

If you are doing this in a grassy area cut the sod out in pieces dig your hole and put the dirt on a tarp what ever you do not put back on top spread so it is not obvious , put the grass back on top and water well If you do it right you can look a the area the next day , the next week and you cannot tell where it is.

You will need a land mark or marks to figure out where the containers are. If you try a radio multiple layers zip locks then a water tight hard case inside of a zip lock. Pack each battery separately. Dry paper towels around the battery then plastic bag. Pack a small hard case full then zip lock the case. Do not put all the batteries in one case.

After the food I would pack a solar charger, solar lights or rechargeable lights from the panel. Tarps/tent and tools- shovel, ax. If you can a gun. Heavy grease /oil the gun, oil the ammo and magazines if any. I would want a youth shot gun 12 gauge pump action. Others will give other advice. Why a youth shot gun - Price of gun, how easy is it to buy, how long -easy to bury.
    RedLion, Annie and Stockton like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Go with a metal container, mice can chew through practically anything. If you want to put food in it, cans would be best, followed by glass jars.
    RedLion, Annie and Redwood Country like this.

Super Moderator

What RJAMES said, only don't forget a P38 can opener or two. They're so small they don't take up any space, and they're a good back-up just in case the multitool fails you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links