Financially Preparing for SHTF - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Financially Preparing for SHTF

This is a discussion on Financially Preparing for SHTF within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I gather from your previous posts that your are an accomplished machinest and own your own shop. In my opinion that is about the best ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Financially Preparing for SHTF

I gather from your previous posts that your are an accomplished machinest and own your own shop. In my opinion that is about the best security a person could have. That and having some land in a rural location. The house and land will provide you with shelter and food. Your business should provide you with a modest income to cover taxes and other expenses. You are good-to-go as long as you can continue to garden and work in your shop. You got it made because you are already about as independent as anyone can be in America today.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

@Chiefster23 , thanks.

I am not a machinist per se, but a tool and die maker with a degree in ME. primarily a tool design engineer.

I do have a machine shop that employed an average of 12 people, toolmakers and production workers.

No longer working the shop at anything but a part time level, but it is all there and capable of fabricating almost anything I would need.

Everything is paid for, about 500K$ of machinery and support equipment.

I preferred working in the shop building things, would use the drafting board when needed along with the computers and CAD.

Yes, I am rural on six acres, and do grow much of my food but not at the scale like our redneck southern friend.

Here are pictures of a TIG welding fixture built last year to fabricate a parts order I did.

It rotates 360 degrees in one axis and 180 degrees in another.

Financially Preparing for SHTF-weld-one-002.jpg

Financially Preparing for SHTF-weld-one-003.jpg
    Oh, I did the welding also.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-15-2018 at 01:55 PM.

After several hurricanes this past year, I think short of an end off the world as we know it SHTF situation in which case I do not think any money will be worth anything. That having several hundred dollars in small bills and rolled coins is needed.

In both Houston and especially in Puerto Rico things could be bought but only with cash as all credit card machines and ATMs to get more cash were down. Banks did not reopen I think many in Puerto Rico still have not reopened. Some stores somewhat functioned marking prices on items with a magic marker and using a cash box and a battery operated or solar calculator.

You need a calculator as most people now days cannot make change.

Obviously that cash on hand is only for a short term event but I think as part of every ones preps after you get out of short term debt you need that stash of cash. Might be a 5 dollar bill the first month but add to it and keep adding.
    Redwood Country likes this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Seems to me two scenarios are being jumbled together here... a severe economic downturn, be it individual, locally, nationally or global and a SHTF event.

With a severe economic downturn, the banks & government will still be functioning. Money will still have value and your bills will still come due. Think about the great depression. In this case, IMO one is best prepared by having no debt, besides your house note and having at least a year's salary in the bank or easily available. Those with a huge house note & "living the dream" day by day, are screwed. Having at least someone in the family with a secure job during this period will help greatly as will the ability to grow your own food. In this regard I think about the local farmers around here & how they survived the great depression. They had no cash but they didn't starve either. What little cash they needed came from barter, trading farm goods for items at the local store, or from a cash crop like tobacco or cotton. I personally love talking to the old folks who lived thru this and in a lot of ways, pattern my lifestyle on the farmstead on what worked for them.

With a SHTF event, money will very soon be worthless. Banks & your mortgage company will be toast... along with the money in those accounts as well as your mortgage. In this case, the last thing I want is to deal with any outsiders... at least until things settle down. No bartering with strangers. I will work at building a community of my neighbors for joint security & shared workload gardening, etc. This period will involve sharing of resources for the betterment of the group and not keeping a ledger of who has what or who needs what. There will be time enough for that later... if there is a later.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    SHTF savings account. Just a small account. SHTF for real the only investment that will carry you through.

Attachment 66386
    How many people do you plan on using all those guns, -or are you planning on a lot of malfunctions?

I'm wondering because I know a few single preppers who own several shotguns, rifles, and pistols, -and they only have 2 hands.

Back up to the back up and spare parts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    How many people do you plan on using all those guns, -or are you planning on a lot of malfunctions?

I'm wondering because I know a few single preppers who own several shotguns, rifles, and pistols, -and they only have 2 hands.
    Have you lived or spent time in a country where S has hit the fan. Not just a storm or short term disruption but all out SHTF. Every system shut down. I have more than once. Not even gold will buy you food if it gets that bad. Your movie theater view of things are not even close to the out right evil and horror that comes with it.
    I have been preparing for over 40 years. I have not been alone in this mission. Good luck with one shot gun leaning in the corner. And that BS about fearing a man with one gun he knows how to use it , was a phony movie line.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 01-17-2018 at 04:02 AM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Have you lived or spent time in a country where S has hit the fan. Not just a storm or short term disruption but all out SHTF. Every system shut down. I have more than once. Not even gold will buy you food if it gets that bad. Your movie theater view of things are not even close to the out right evil and horror that comes with it.
    I have been preparing for over 40 years. I have not been alone in this mission. Good luck with one shot gun leaning in the corner. And that BS about fearing a man with one gun he knows how to use it , was a phony movie line.

I didn't mean to tick you off. I know that questioning the number of guns some people own is tantamount to questioning the size of their dick, -but we can express genuine questions we have on this forum, no matter how stupid they may be. So, educate me.

I can understand if someone just likes to collect and shoot guns with different variations. I can also understand a prepper owning two or three of each type of firearm, because each variation is a tool with it's specific strengths and weaknesses that they appreciate.

For "firearms", I have a shotgun with interchangeable long and short barrels, my carry pistol, rifle, bow, crossbow, and pellet rifle. I can make best use of each depending on the situation, and I wish I could afford two of each type.

I saw 8 AR-15s in your picture, and I wondered why so many. As I said, I know other preppers who seem to just collect as many guns as they can, including some pieces of shit. Why? What use could they possibly put that many guns to? "You say: Have you lived or spent time in a country where S has hit the fan, -not just a storm or short term disruption, but all out SHTF?" OK, when all-out SHTF happens, how do 8 ARs help you more than say 4 of them? Give me a realistic scenario. If you have a good answer to my honest question, I'll consider buying a lot more guns.
    Last edited by TGus; 01-17-2018 at 09:33 PM.

I have a similar amount of guns myself. I have them to be able to hand them out as necessary to allies/family when and if we have to come together and pull together. I do not have that many AR's (dangit!) but I have inexpensively purchased a good number of good used 12 gauge shotguns and .30-.30's over the years so's I can put a long gun in someone's hands. I am sure there are others who do things different... but this is what will suit my needs and concerns.
    TGus and Smitty901 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    I didn't mean to tick you off. I know that questioning the number of guns some people own is tantamount to questioning the size of their dick, -but we can express genuine questions we have on this forum, no matter how stupid they may be. So, educate me.

I can understand if someone just likes to collect and shoot guns with different variations. I can also understand a prepper owning two or three of each type of firearm, because each variation is a tool with it's specific strengths and weaknesses that they appreciate.

For "firearms", I have a shotgun with interchangeable long and short barrels, my carry pistol, rifle, bow, crossbow, and pellet rifle. I can make best use of each depending on the situation, and I wish I could afford two of each type.

I saw 8 AR-15s in your picture, and I wondered why so many. As I said, I know other preppers who seem to just collect as many guns as they can, including some pieces of shit. Why? What use could they possibly put that many guns to? "You say: Have you lived or spent time in a country where S has hit the fan, -not just a storm or short term disruption, but all out SHTF?" OK, when all-out SHTF happens, how do 8 ARs help you more than say 4 of them? Give me a realistic scenario. If you have a good answer to my honest question, I'll consider buying a lot more guns.
    Consider this. Have one AR with a 20 inch barrel and scope mounted for shooting a a distance. Another AR with a 16 inch barrel and an Eotech for close quarters or home defense. Get an AR pistol for home defense/truck gun. Get another AR in a basic configuration with iron sights as a hand out weapon or for spare parts. Now we are at 4 weapons already and we haven’t even bought one yet “just because it looks cool and I want it!”
    Next we have...... OK, I got the ARs covered but I always liked the look of an AK. Boom. Buy your 1st AK with wooden furniture. Now you decide that one with magpul furniture is pretty nice, too. See where I am going with this?

Now handguns. Start with a subcompact for EDC. But I want to shoot competition so next I need a full size or competion gun. Shooting these guns is expensive so ya need a 22 for cheap practice. Hell, I can’t conceal a 40 caliber sub compact in shorts and a tanktop so next comes a super small pocket gun. Etc. etc. etc.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links