Why buy Wheat and Oats from the Mormons
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Why buy Wheat and Oats from the Mormons within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...0_-1_N_image_0 The LDS Store has the best price on canned long term food. They are not looking to make the profit they are looking to ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Why buy Wheat and Oats from the Mormons

https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...0_-1_N_image_0

The LDS Store has the best price on canned long term food. They are not looking to make the profit they are looking to help people

Why buy Wheat and Oats from the Mormons-oats.png

Shipping is very inexpensive and fast

For new preppers this is a very very very cost effective way to get some basic supplies quickly

so
    PRICE, QUALITY, and SERVICE in one package
    Be a Berean

lots of items
    Why buy Wheat and Oats from the Mormons-lds.png
    SOCOM42 and Mickey D like this.
    Be a Berean

Joe

@Maine-Marine has a good point. It is already canned and boxed for you. spaghetti bites are a particularly good product. They cook easier and are great especially for kids (and adults) to eat. As they are not so messy to eat. (Yep at 59 I am still a messy eater)
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

wheat not weat.. dang it
    Be a Berean

Banned

I also like LDS food.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post

Shipping is very inexpensive and fast

For new preppers this is a very very very cost effective way to get some basic supplies quickly

so
    PRICE, QUALITY, and SERVICE in one package
    I have bought my bulk wheat & oats mainly from walmart.com. Looks like with the LDS store, a case of hard red wheat weighs 33 lbs and costs $32.25 plus $3 freight, for a total of $35.25 for 33 lbs.. Right now, I can get an Emergency Essentials 38 lb superpail (bucket, lid, mylar & oxygen absorber) at Walmart.com for $30.18 with free pickup or free shipping if you spend $35. Walmart puts these on special all throughout the year, so if you keep looking, it is very normal for them to offer even better pricing.

I'm a big fan of Emergency Essentials product. The Augason Farms product can be cheaper but they don't package the product as well. I also appreciate free freight from Walmart. The LDS cans are probably a better choice for folks with limited storage space.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Emergency...ppgHX65VNUCVuU

Last edited by Redneck; 01-10-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    Annie likes this.

I have never bought emergency essentials food but most of the rest of there products are chinese crap. Also for the $5 your saving i would pay for the LDS stuff packed in smaller cans. You have all your eggs in one basket with a 5gal bucket.

Has any one tryed rainy day foods cans? I got two of there verity cans. There dryed fruit is quite good and i think most of there stuff is cheaper than LDS and def cheaper than augason farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I have bought my bulk wheat & oats mainly from walmart.com. Looks like with the LDS store, a case of hard red wheat weighs 33 lbs and costs $32.25 plus $3 freight, for a total of $35.25 for 33 lbs.. Right now, I can get an Emergency Essentials 38 lb superpail (bucket, lid, mylar & oxygen absorber) at Walmart.com for $30.18 with free pickup or free shipping if you spend $35. Walmart puts these on special all throughout the year, so if you keep looking, it is very normal for them to offer even better pricing.

I'm a big fan of Emergency Essentials product. The Augason Farms product can be cheaper but they don't package the product as well. I also appreciate free freight from Walmart. The LDS cans are probably a better choice for folks with limited storage space.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Emergency...ppgHX65VNUCVuU

now we can talk about bucket versus metal can and the benefit of opening smaller cans versus a whole pail
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
    I have never bought emergency essentials food but most of the rest of there products are chinese crap.
    Well I don't buy gear from any of these preparedness companies & this discussion is about food. I've never seen a bad review on these folks and they have been in this business longer than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
    Also for the $5 your saving i would pay for the LDS stuff packed in smaller cans. You have all your eggs in one basket with a 5gal bucket.
    As I stated, if someone has limited storage, these LDS cans might be better. A 5 gallon pail & all my eggs in one basket? Now that is funny when you consider I measure my food stores by the tons.

Here is my take on food storage. If you are only gonna keep say 100 lbs or less of wheat in storage... don't bother. Just keep more flour in your pantry and rotate it. This red wheat is the berry. It must be ground using a grain mill or similar, which aren't cheap. IMO, this hard red & white wheat is for bulk storage... large quantities. In large quantities, the price per pound is very important plus IMO, I'd rather have the superpails than #10 cans for long term, bulk storage. I do have a whole bunch of cans in storage but that is more along the lines of powdered eggs, baking powder, tomato powder, peanut powder, etc. Now all my #10 cans also come from Emergency Essentials because they are packaged with an oxygen absorber in a stainless steel can that is double-enameled to prevent aging and rust. I'd verify the LDS cans are packaged similarly or better. You know their specs on cans & if they add oxygen absorbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    now we can talk about bucket versus metal can and the benefit of opening smaller cans versus a whole pail
    Exactly. I've tried to hit on the basics of maybe who should use cans & who should use pails. We all prep differently.

If I'm gonna be pulling out a grinder & making flour, then I have no issue opening a big pail. Why would anyone only want to grind 5.5 lbs during a crisis? My big use items, such as wheat, oats, rice, beans, pasta, etc are in pails. However, if I want seasonings or other product that would be used less, then I purchase in cans. I wouldn't want a 5 gallon pail of baking powder, tomato powder or powdered eggs.

As I asked before, you know the specs on the LDS cans? Do they use oxygen absorbers?
    Last edited by Redneck; 01-10-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links