Molle vs Hellcat
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Molle vs Hellcat

This is a discussion on Molle vs Hellcat within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hey guys, I'm not somebody that needs a bug out for end of the world use use, but I would like to keep a BOB ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob Roy
  • 2 Post By Alpha-17
  • 2 Post By Kauboy

Thread: Molle vs Hellcat

Molle vs Hellcat

Hey guys,

I'm not somebody that needs a bug out for end of the world use use, but I would like to keep a BOB for my 3 person family to survive in the event of a disaster lasting a few days. Im thinking of making 1-2 bags for the family, with a main bag for myself.

I'm not completely sure whether to go with the hellcat pack from Tony's ( Shop for Army Navy Surplus and More at Tony's Tactical Surplus and Supplies) or to go with the molle. I want a simple BOB, mainly holding food and water, maybe pistol ammo and a first aid kit.

All in all, I really would like to find a BOB that has good value, and can hold lots of food and water. Should I go with the molle pack or the modified Alice?

Thanks!
    EastCoast

Supporting Vendor

Here's an option that will allow you Molle and is versatile. On top of that, it's already packed for you.

The 'Nomad' Go Bag
    EastCoast likes this.
    This mindful minute was brought to you by Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Here's an option that will allow you Molle and is versatile. On top of that, it's already packed for you.

The 'Nomad' Go Bag
    Great suggestion, but I was hoping to make the BOB myself. I'm still on the philosophy if you want something done right do it yourself. It also seemed small for my needs.
    Which has better functionality, the molle or the hellcat?
    Thanks again,
    EastCoast
    Last edited by EastCoast; 07-01-2014 at 08:38 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor

I was link-bombing your link, but if you're really looking for suggestions, are 3 separate bags an option? Or is the 3rd member too small for their own bag? I find one big bag gets uber-cumbersome and if something happens to it, you're out everything. With 2-3 smaller bags (not necessarily the link suggested, but any bag) you can really free up your options and span out types of supplies. Not to mention distribute the weight over 4-6 shoulders.

Modular tactical bags (MOLLE) offer add-on options, but look militant and can dray unwanted attention (so goes a popular theory).
    They still win my vote though
    This mindful minute was brought to you by Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    I was link-bombing your link, but if you're really looking for suggestions, are 3 separate bags an option? Or is the 3rd member too small for their own bag? I find one big bag gets uber-cumbersome and if something happens to it, you're out everything. With 2-3 smaller bags (not necessarily the link suggested, but any bag) you can really free up your options and span out types of supplies. Not to mention distribute the weight over 4-6 shoulders.

Modular tactical bags (MOLLE) offer add-on options, but look militant and can dray unwanted attention (so goes a popular theory).
    They still win my vote though
    I think I might make one main pack(the hellcat or Mollie) and a second smaller pack, maybe a condor assault pack.
    If the hellcat has the comfort of the Mollie with the Alice ruck should I go with that?

Which MOLLE pack are you considering? If it's the Army-issue MOLLE ruck or assault pack, I'd advise against them. The ruck, quite frankly, is just a big ball of [email protected], and should be avoided at all cost, while the assault pack is OK, just very limited. The Marine Corps ILBE ruck is a much better option, IMO. I ordered one last summer, and love it, something I can't say for my issue MOLLE ruck.

I have to agree with Alpha-17. I got the ILBE a few months ago and it’s a great bag for the money. It can pack out more than I can carry.

First off, put aside the idea of getting a bag for now.

Assemble all of the items you intend to carry first.
    How much water, how much food, how much ammo, what size FAK?
    Should you pack a shelter option(tube tent, tarp, etc...)?
    Extra clothing? Heat retention blanket? Handy tools? Lights?

Once you've covered the basics of what you think you will need, pack it together as well as you can, and measure it.
    Then, go find a bag that will hold that size of "stuff".

There is a tendency to fill voids in our gear bags. Everything we add just adds more weight, but we justify it in one way or another.
    If you get a pack that is too large for what you need, you will attempt to fill it.
    Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.
    Go with the minimum pack you need to carry your necessities.
    If your needs consist of 3 days worth of items, so be it. Just don't pack fluff stuff only to fill a bag.
    EastCoast and omegabrock like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post

Once you've covered the basics of what you think you will need, pack it together as well as you can, and measure it.

There is a tendency to fill voids in our gear bags. Everything we add just adds more weight, but we justify it in one way or another.
    If you get a pack that is too large for what you need, you will attempt to fill it.
    If your needs consist of 3 days worth of items, so be it. Just don't pack fluff stuff only to fill a bag.
    Thank you that really has put the whole thing in perspective for me. Knowing myself I'd find gadgets or something else to stuff in the empty spots!

This probably belongs in its own thread, but what kind of first aid kit bag would you suggest for 3 people? I'm planning on making my own, and the bag choices are endless.

Thanks again,
    EastCoast

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post

this topic has been discussed a few times and this response has always been the best.

Sponsored Links