Again it pays to be prepared.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Again it pays to be prepared. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Today we had a major water main break and they are estimating we're going to be under a boil advisory for the duration of the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Again it pays to be prepared.

Today we had a major water main break and they are estimating we're going to be under a boil advisory for the duration of the weekend. The good people of my community reacted in the usual form and by 6pm there wasn't a bottle of water to be found outside of the foreign owned gas stations which increased prices between 10 and 20 bucks per case. While everybody was scrambling to get water I strolled to the storage room and pulled a case to drink on and a gallon jug for hygiene and made contact with the rest of the family to make sure they where good.

On another note, I have been rotating through my stock but I hadn't replaced what I've used thus far. When this "crisis" is over its going to happen lol.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Super Moderator

Great feeling huh! Don't they have price gouging laws where you are?
    NotTooProudToHide likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

It is great being prepared. I woke up to a cold house and a boiler that was not running. Got my wood stove up and running in 5 minutes. Having the stove and wood ready is a blessing in MN starting around this time of the year. Now I have to wait for the repair man to show, but at least my maintenance plan will mean that it will not cost me anything, but staying home from work for the day.
    Annie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Not sure if the quote button is going to work since the board is still kind of acting funny. Yes they do have price gouging laws but unlike a lot of others I'm pretty laissez-faire about the whole deal. The gas stations already over charge when there isn't a crisis going on and now that there is I simply remember who did what and when its over I'll choose to spend my money with the ones that didn't gouge. If enough people act that way then the ones that did will go out of business, no need to get the government involved.
    dwight55 and Camel923 like this.

Glad I have a private well and a life straw.
    Annie and Hemi45 like this.

We've had water shutoffs (for repairs) twice recently. It's actually good practice to go into water conservation mode.
    Annie and NotTooProudToHide like this.

Super Moderator

The thing about the water prices...That's just supply and demand. I think to some extent it's fair. If people neglect to purchase when it's cheaper in order to prepare, whose fault is that? The store's? No. If a retailer has say for example, a bunch of Cambels Soup cans that aren't selling, he lowers the price and puts them on sale. It's just the way it works.
    If you're not listening to "The Denton and Sasquatch Show", you're not on the team.

Still can't get the quote feature to work. @Annie I get what your saying but the thing is the owners where running to walmart, krogers, and all the other retailers and buying up all the bottled water then marking it up for resell. Disgusting and distasteful but not illegal. When the ammo shortage was going on one particular store in our area would have their employees stake out walmart while walmart was taking delieveries and would buy the max amount of ammo that walmart would allow per customer, mark that up and resell it in their store. Still haven't been back to buy anything from them and I won't.
    Annie likes this.

Yes it does . Just think how much better things would be when events disrupt life if most were prepared.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Always good to have it on hand.

I keep 20 gallons of distilled water, gallon jugs, in unused hard to get to under counter space.

The Big Berkey on the counter is always filled.

That 20 is just in case we can't leave the house, there is plenty stored in the shop also.

I have a standby well and the river behind the shop if needed, large sand/charcoal filter for both, and a still if needed..

I use town water,

it is free since I designed and built the closed aeration system, free system, free water, they paid for the material.

There is 10 cases, 24 count, of Arizona iced tea with ginseng in the pantry,

kid drinks it, case count stays between 20-24, replenish it every week.

There is enough of everything in the house to last 6 months without going into other buildings or bunker.

Only 10K of assorted ammo inside here.

Well has a pitcher pump and electric, but gets filtered inside home for potable water and is not tied into house plumbing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links