What Kind of Prepper Are You?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What Kind of Prepper Are You? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; What are you "prepping" for? No, not which event... WHY are you prepping? To what end? I consider myself a Survivalist. I'm not getting ready ...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: What Kind of Prepper Are You?

Banned

What are you "prepping" for? No, not which event... WHY are you prepping? To what end?

I consider myself a Survivalist. I'm not getting ready for something, I strive to be ready for anything. I place flexibility and adaptability over buying things. I don't believe you can escape to some magic place where you will be safe. You make where you are safe.
    Stored food won't last forever. Proper mutual relations with good people means long term survival. More ammo and better optics do not.

I look at what it will take to move from one crisis period to another. See if you can find a video from "The Maine Prepper" (he's teamed-up w/ Patriot Nurse). That thinking about covers my view. Each period will have it's own set of challenges and requirements. For example, during a fire or flood, your weapon is much less necessary than it will be days later when the looting start. Growing food isn't even a concern if things "get back to normal" in a couple of months. But, do I have some seeds stored, just in case? Of course.

Being specialized is great. I'm an arms and tactics guy. A couple of neighbors are medical trained. A friend is a homestead genius. Another is a mechanical wiz. We will survive. Not because we isolate ourselves, but because we realize and value the strength in others.

So, do you stockpile masks and medicine because you're sure we'll have a pandemic? Do you maintain an arsenal because Civil War II is just around the corner?
    I'm not asking what you do. I'm asking why.

For the same reason(s) you do

Super Moderator

I don't worry about what I haven't done yet, I just do what I can each week, be it learning a new skill or gathering resources. Why, you ask? I believe society has hit rock bottom and we're just waiting for the fallout from that.
    If you're not listening to "The Denton and Sasquatch Show", you're not on the team.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=Winston Smith;1499962]What are you "prepping" for? No, not which event... WHY are you prepping? To what end?

I consider myself a Survivalist. I'm not getting ready for something, I strive to be ready for anything. I place flexibility and adaptability over buying things. I don't believe you can escape to some magic place where you will be safe. You make where you are safe.
    Stored food won't last forever. Proper mutual relations with good people means long term survival. More ammo and better optics do not.

I look at what it will take to move from one crisis period to another. See if you can find a video from "The Maine Prepper" (he's teamed-up w/ Patriot Nurse). That thinking about covers my view. Each period will have it's own set of challenges and requirements. For example, during a fire or flood, your weapon is much less necessary than it will be days later when the looting start. Growing food isn't even a concern if things "get back to normal" in a couple of months. But, do I have some seeds stored, just in case? Of course.

Being specialized is great. I'm an arms and tactics guy. A couple of neighbors are medical trained. A friend is a homestead genius. Another is a mechanical wiz. We will survive. Not because we isolate ourselves, but because we realize and value the strength in others.

So, do you stockpile masks and medicine because you're sure we'll have a pandemic? Do you maintain an arsenal because Civil War II is just around the corner?
    I'm not asking what you do. I'm asking why.[/QUOTE}

Patriot effing Nurse says I die first, so I don't worry and I'm happy.

That changes my outlook a bit though. I may not die first, in fact questionable folk may go first.

Stay Off My Lawn.
    hawgrider likes this.

It’s like eating an elephant. An enormous task accomplished one bite at a time. I am quite about what I assemble as I do not believe in letting the neighborhood think I am the designated Walmart. Things get bad then I know who to work with and who to keep tabs on. Several widows around that will need help and one bastard the entire neighborhood would be better off without. Would not give him the sweat off my balls.
    Redneck likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    It’s like eating an elephant. An enormous task accomplished one bite at a time. I am quite about what I assemble as I do not believe in letting the neighborhood think I am the designated Walmart. Things get bad then I know who to work with and who to keep tabs on. Several widows around that will need help and one bastard the entire neighborhood would be better off without. Would not give him the sweat off my balls.
    Sounds like you've studied "grey man" theory? Some take that to an extreme, and try to hide everything that they do. That itself attracts attention.
    Me? I don't advertise to folks that don't need to know. I will help others the best that I can (within the limits of The Life Boat). And I will work with the other Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Sounds like you've studied "grey man" theory? Some take that to an extreme, and try to hide everything that they do. That itself attracts attention.
    Me? I don't advertise to folks that don't need to know. I will help others the best that I can (within the limits of The Life Boat). And I will work with the other Sheepdogs.
    Different circumstances dictate different strategies. At the present, this suites me fine.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I am rural and more or less isolated, I keep it that way.

No one sees what I do outside of going to the mail box on the town road.

I live on my own road which is a dead end, once in a while some ass drives down it.

My home and shop cannot be seen from the town road and I like it that way.

Very few people know that I prep, none around here in town.

I have nothing to do with most of them, only two I even associate with.

Preps come in handy every winter with power outages.

In snowstorms the road may not be plowed for a week or more, by the town.

Most of the time I can get out with the Jeeps, if not no hurry just sit and relax, I don't have to get to a job.

Have not been employed in my trade by others since 1982.

I am an omnibus prepper and have been since 1978.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-25-2017 at 07:42 PM.

I'm not sure of anything. I stockpile masks & meds because I fear pandemic at the worst or the spread of disease after any SHTF crisis. I maintain an arsenal because I know what humans are capable of... especially when their family may be starving.

What are you "prepping" for? No, not which event... WHY are you prepping? To what end?
    I prep for a SHTF event, where at worst, society collapses. I prep for most of the families on our rural, dead end lane... without them knowing anything about what I have. My stores are designed to hold us off until we can become self sufficient, which means surviving a crisis that starts at the end of the growing season. My stores include hundreds of pounds of seed, which are added to & refreshed yearly. Hopefully the stores will provide the glue to hold our little community together.

I don't have a bunker mentality. I will survive, or won't, doing as our ancestors & living off the land.
    Last edited by Redneck; 11-25-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    Redwood Country likes this.

WHY cause it's the smart thing to do. Heck even a squirrel has enough smarts to put a nut or two away for a rainy day.
    Redneck, Camel923, OSC and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links