Question...one of many
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question...one of many

This is a discussion on Question...one of many within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If you have not guessed by now I am new to all prepping so I have many questions and here is one of them. I ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Question...one of many

Question...one of many

If you have not guessed by now I am new to all prepping so I have many questions and here is one of them. I don't have a BOL, I am working on that, and I am worried that if I store all preps here and I have to leave then I have to leave all the things here. I thought about a storage facility somewhere but I have heard that the gov can take that if an "emergency" came up so I am thinking that isn't such a great idea. Then I thought of my mom's house and she has said NO. My step dad was a prepper and she is trying to get rid all his stuff, yes, it kills me. No, she won't give to me but I can buy it. So do I just make cache all over the place. I need help as you can probably tell by now. Are there any good prepping books out there? I am prepping for me and 2 adult daughters.

I for one like the idea of caches but that all depends on where, what, and for how long. I for one would cache some ammo/food along egress routes and possibly some weapons. The ammo I would simply store in the ammo cans that are used by the military and carefully hidden and camouflaged vice buried because of the need to get them quickly. Placing the ammo can and some MRE's and water in a small pack and then wrapping it well to protect from weather, insects, and animals. This would require periodic checks and replacement. As far as other methods of Cache here is a reference document to consider. It's a bit dry to read but there are many more references with drawings out there on the WWW to look at. My simple rule is "A lot of little treasures are harder to take from me, than one big treasure" so I will spread my stuff around accordingly. Some will never be recovered, some will get found or destroyed... but a small kit with the basics to let me start over (knife, seeds, fish hooks, string, fire starter, meds, water purification -iodine-) will seem like a gift from God when you have had to flee with nothing from the place your stuff was.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PQM8U5u5nhObtw
    omegabrock and oldmurph58 like this.

Since your mother is getting rid of your father's preps, can you get them for free?
    Do to my age and some physical impairments, I figure I have no choice but to Bug In. My plan is to make my house look like its already been looted and hide as best as possible. I'm on the edge of town and roads are pretty much going to be blocked by traffic. Right now the only thing that would cause me Bug Out is a chemical spill or the like, a nuke that was too close, or if ice caps melt and the water is 2500 feet above normal sea level.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

On the cache I know to do it along a route but, I know this sounds silly, where? On public or private land and if private should I sneak on someone else's land/farm to dig a hole, that might get me shot at. I know all of this sounds "blonde" but I am the type of gal that loves specifics and as much as possible. Growing up a Marine Corp brat I have learned to love the details. Thanks for the link.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

How far do you plan to bug out to. How many people going with you? What is the area you are in and bugging out to where/how far would you like to go. What is your physical condition and I don't mean just being female, that's not a plus or minus if your in shape. What are you willing / able to do to survive if it comes to that? Any young kids/children. You probably know many of the answers you seek, you just need to think about it some, but asking questions doesn't hurt. Common sense will go a long way, just try not to think with your heart/emotions to much as those will conflict with what you may need to do!
    dutch16 likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

No reason to think about a cache until you decide on a bug out location. You have to look at the pluses & minuses of where you live. What scenarios would cause you to leave your home?

Think about the inner city people that all they own is in a shopping cart. You can do a two wheel cart & move alot of gear depending on terrain & distance. Wildfire is about the only thing that would make me bug out.

An option very few think about if bugging out to a church.

To get an idea of where/how people cache today I will recommend something my family did for fun for many years. Go to Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site It is a simple little treasure hunt deal that is global. The cache idea is basically the same...obviously without the posting on line to the world. However I would make sure your daughters could get to them in the event you weren't with them. And HH I disagree about not thinking about it until you have a BOL. I think its never to early and it could be simply based on which direction will I have to run and what will I need. I'm not talking about a months worth of food... just some basics.

My mom will only sell the step dad’s preps and not give them away to anyone. The only thing that would make me leave is if I could not live in this house, govt doing house to house searches for supplies, or chemical. I workout 6 days a week so I think I am in pretty good shape. If I have to bug out then I will go as far as necessary to get somewhere safe and most likely back home in the mountains. My dad use to play a treasure hunting game when we were kids and now I see that he was just preparing so the future. I have done it a few times with my girls when they were smaller. I have routes planned for two BOL. One is back home and the other is way north, not pinpointed that one yet, of my location now. I am still working out the details and thanks for everyone asking me question that I need to think about. There are things I can’t do cause I either don’t have the know, tools or strength to do some things but I will work on those things later. One step at a time.

I'm not a big fan of bugging out. Long-term preps are usually not something easily transported in a bag. That being said, sometimes folks have no choice. Try to think about your situation in particular. What are you prepping for? How long are you trying to prep for? What special circumstances do you have to consider? What have you accomplished already? These are questions just to help you start thinking about not wasting money or resources on things you don't/won't need. Once we narrow it down, we can start tailoring your preps to suit your needs.
    oldmurph58 likes this.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

Always a good idea to keep supplies spread out. If you keep everything in one place, you run the risk of loosing everything you have in one attack, one fire, one storm, ect. Diversify!
    Old SF Guy likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links