I blame (and thank) Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I blame (and thank) Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

This is a discussion on I blame (and thank) Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Redneck As opposed to going to external holding tanks, the Grundfos flex pump would be setup to fill the underground pressure tank ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: I blame (and thank) Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    As opposed to going to external holding tanks, the Grundfos flex pump would be setup to fill the underground pressure tank already in use by the ac well pump. All the controllers and pressure switch are inside a Faraday enclosure too. I understand that capacity is somewhat limited, but I can live with that. I want the current water system to stay pressurized and could live with very limited water pressure at nights or exceedingly cloudy days. I have extra panels that could be attached to the well if needed when cloudy. Cool thing about the flex pump is it keeps working when the power level drops without damaging the pump... as would occur on a normal pump. The gallons per minute is just reduced.

I do have some external talks that could be filled but nothing larger than a 160 gallon tank.

Sounds like you're pretty well good to go. My next buy will be a backup inverter, to run the ac pump controller off the battery bank - and will just use manual switches to fill tanks from yard spigot/hoses... but it's a lot different set-up than yours, oh hell this is so off-topic. Oh well. My thread, my bad.

Thanks for your reply!
    Annie and Redneck like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Sounds like you're pretty well good to go. My next buy will be a backup inverter, to run the ac pump controller off the battery bank - and will just use manual switches to fill tanks from yard spigot/hoses... but it's a lot different set-up than yours, oh hell this is so off-topic. Oh well. My thread, my bad.

Thanks for your reply!
    That's the thing about preparedness, right? So many proverbial avenues to turn down and it's just amazing the amount you have to think about.
    MountainGirl and inceptor like this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    That's the thing about preparedness, right? So many proverbial avenues to turn down and it's just amazing the amount you have to think about.
    Very true! Hi Annie, nice to meet you. Urinal Cake says you might want some snow. Any truth to that rumor? What started you on this path, if I may ask? If you don't want to tell, that's okay. No harm, no foul.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Did anyone else read Lucifer's Hammer in their formative years?

For those who haven't, it's THE (imo) classic end of the world novel - and started me, in 1978, on the path of 'keep cool, travel light, stay low'.

What 'started' you?
    Yes. Read Lucifer's Hammer but it didn't start me on the path of preparad-ness.

Growing up on the Gulf Coast and the threat of Tropical Storms and Hurricane's started me on the path to being prepared. Watching my Grandparents "Can" and put up food, watching my parents fix stuff, watching my neighbors be self sufficient during times of no power or water, etc.

Not wanting to be dependent on others, being Free and experiencing Liberty...that is what motivates me.

Malevil in about 1973, I read Lucifer's hammer later. I've really become addicted to post apocalyptic.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best
    Worry about the things you can control, Plan for the things you can't

Alas Babylon was my introduction to prepping.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Yes. Read Lucifer's Hammer but it didn't start me on the path of preparad-ness.

Growing up on the Gulf Coast and the threat of Tropical Storms and Hurricane's started me on the path to being prepared. Watching my Grandparents "Can" and put up food, watching my parents fix stuff, watching my neighbors be self sufficient during times of no power or water, etc.

Not wanting to be dependent on others, being Free and experiencing Liberty...that is what motivates me.
    Hi Slippy, that's a big part of it for me too. You're lucky to have seen how things are done growing up. Lots of us didn't, back then; and my guess is very few do now. Maybe the localized disasters now - will help wake folks up a bit, even if they're only watching from a safe distance, so they have a better chance of making it when/if a really big event happens. That, and there's no bigger liberty and freedom - than being able to take care of ourselves. Thanks for your reply.
    Slippy and Redneck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by modfan View Post
    Malevil in about 1973, I read Lucifer's hammer later. I've really become addicted to post apocalyptic.
    Hi modfan, have your readings affected your lifestyle or choices at all? You keepin a good balanced perspective? Whenever I re-read LH, I go check my gear & make sure everything is still there and working, lol, and it takes me a good day to 'come back down' a bit.

I came out of a section of very rural America (locked in the 50's) at age 19 to join the Navy. After 5 years of seeing “the world”, I took my separation papers, bought 162 acres on a back road, off a back road of my home turf and worked hard to avoid regular contact with people for 25 years. I walked away from the farm 15 years ago, but the attitude has stayed for life.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    I came out of a section of very rural America (locked in the 50's) at age 19 to join the Navy. After 5 years of seeing “the world”, I took my separation papers, bought 162 acres on a back road, off a back road of my home turf and worked hard to avoid regular contact with people for 25 years. I walked away from the farm 15 years ago, but the attitude has stayed for life.
    Hi pakrat, it does abide. Thanks for the reply, warm regards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links