Battery backup for furnace
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Battery backup for furnace within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am working on a design for a battery backup for my furnace in the event we lose power, i currently have 8 Lead Acid ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery backup for furnace

I am working on a design for a battery backup for my furnace in the event we lose power, i currently have 8 Lead Acid (Rechargeable) Batteries rated at 12v and 12Ah each.
    Wired in parallel ill achieve 12v and can run 12A for up to 8 hours, which should run my furnace for around 7-8 hours. The means of charging will be electric with solar backup. I have most of the components except the solar. So ill start wiring it in a few weeks and maybe next year add the solar part of it. Not to mention, the batteries are new and i got them for free from work because the piece of equipment they came out of was "Defective" and needed disposed. (It was a battery powered 2-stage snow blower, the blower motor was bad but the charger and batteries were all still good)

I will post pictures as the project progresses and keep everyone up to date.

EDIT: I will be using a power inverter to convert the 12v DC to a usable AC current. (Still need to buy one of these)
    hayden likes this.

Sounds interesting, can't wait for pix.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

The fans on a furnace draw a bit of power and the modern ones also have blower fans It would take some major power to run one for a long length of time . At least it seems that way. I have a generator and a wood/coal back up
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

That is an interesting idea,,,, That might work.
    Let us know when you try it out. Boy just think if you had one of the old style gas
    furnaces that didn't have blower motor.
    (I think that was called gravity heat)

Banned

how many batteries is it?

Are you taking into consideration that your batteries will drop voltage as they drain?

How many watts does your furnace surge at.

There are lots of inverter options based on your wattage needs. If you are trying to keep your price down you can stick to about your surge or peak wattage draw for the inverter max.
    Last edited by Will2; 06-06-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Furnace backup = fireplace.
    jimb1972 likes this.

Banned

Definitely let us know how it works! I often think how I would run my furnace if I lost power? Which, winter is about the only time that sort of thing happens. Just when you need it most.

I don't have a generator or anywhere to store one and keep it from getting stolen. I rent a house, but it's older, in a medium density neighborhood, and have no shed or garage. And since I rent, I'm not building or buying either one.

Interested in your results.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    That is an interesting idea,,,, That might work.
    Let us know when you try it out. Boy just think if you had one of the old style gas
    furnaces that didn't have blower motor.
    (I think that was called gravity heat)
    I heat my whole house with a propane floor furnace. No electricity required. I added an aftermarket set-back thermostat which runs on 2 AA batteries.
    When we moved in here 30 years ago, we last power almost weekly. That's the main reason we went this way.
    They are still available. Empire and Williams are two current brands.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    Samuel Adams

Wood stove fan?? Low tech is best.

Banned

I forgot to add that you should check with your furnace manufacturer if the control board - furnace can operate with PWM
    (pulse modulated wave, or if it needs a pure sine wave.

AC devices, especially sensitive electronics which are more common as things get newer and smaller can have more stringent requirements.

While things like power tools are often fine with PMW - medical, audio equipment etc.. can be thrown off heavily by PMW.

This is true when using backup generators also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links