On Being Prepared - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

On Being Prepared

This is a discussion on On Being Prepared within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by charito I'm in my 60's too....if it last longer than 3 years, do I really want to survive at that point? I ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: On Being Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    I'm in my 60's too....if it last longer than 3 years, do I really want to survive at that point?
    I have a wife and 3 older teenagers I'm responsible for. What I'd want doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Keep in mind that even if a person has the skills and basic tools to produce what they require to live they still need a secure location to practice those skills. Living off the land when there is little pressure from others (no SHTF crisis) is great but when a lot of people try to live off the land, particularly public lands, then things will be very different.

Where I live we have an abundance of deer and rabbits, but if every Tom, Dick, and Harry decided they needed those animals for food the woods would be hunted out within a few weeks. The ponds would be fished out, and the easy to identify and harvest plants eaten not to long after; and that's just from the locals. Now add thousands of people fleeing the city and you see why it's important to have a firm claim on the area where you plan to use your skills to live off the land.
    Everything you say is true, -but what choice do we have, but to prep as well as we can, and hope for the best?

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    I have a wife and 3 older teenagers I'm responsible for. What I'd want doesn't matter.
    Hubby is older than me, we both think the same. We don't have any children.
    We have teenage foreign students though, staying with us at the moment. We're prepping for them, too.

Your situation is vastly different from ours.

That's another thing. We can't tell these students about our prepping. We don't want to take the risk of it being blabbed to friends, and neighbors (three of their friends are staying with our neighbor). Fortunately, they're usually out of the house when we do our shopping, so they don't see what we buy.
    Last edited by charito; 10-07-2017 at 04:21 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

@TGus I'm my situation I have more land than many on this site but not enough to realistically supply my my food needs. To a large degree I would depend on trade with neighbors who have more land and livestock than I do. I've met and visit my neighbors because I like their company but in bad times these relationships will make trading easier.
    yooper_sjd and Redneck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I'm my situation I have more land than many on this site but not enough to realistically supply my my food needs. To a large degree I would depend on trade with neighbors who have more land and livestock than I do. I've met and visit my neighbors because I like their company but in bad times these relationships will make trading easier.
    John, something to keep in mind is during a crisis, these larger landowner friends of yours will need manpower to work the land. We could easily head back to farming as they did long before we had tractors & such... maybe as far back as how the native Americans farmed. Way back then, folks had huge families to have workers for the farm plus added more help... as to having slavery.

My point is, after a crisis, self sufficiency will be possible but it will take changes to how we now farm. I HIGHLY suggest preppers that don't live on their own farm still prep accordingly. Have some garden tools & stock seed just like you do food. Then during a crisis, you have something to contribute to build a new society. Be a net positive and you stand a great chance of being added to a group or farm. Be a net negative and expect to be shown the door.

Good manpower & supplies will be in demand.
    Last edited by Redneck; 10-07-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Banned

Actually with my skill set I suspect I won't need to hire out to get food ect.
    Redneck and yooper_sjd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    Hubby is older than me, we both think the same. We don't have any children.
    We have teenage foreign students though, staying with us at the moment. We're prepping for them, too.

Your situation is vastly different from ours.

That's another thing. We can't tell these students about our prepping. We don't want to take the risk of it being blabbed to friends, and neighbors (three of their friends are staying with our neighbor). Fortunately, they're usually out of the house when we do our shopping, so they don't see what we buy.
    I have the same situation with renters of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    I have the same situation with renters of mine.
    Of course you have a similar situation! I demand pictures of your tenants!!

@TGus <~~~Is this handle code for Chuck Norris? Maybe a close relative? Are you some kind of distant aunt of his?

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Good thing you explained it to him.
    It appears that there is a hole in my education.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links