EMP protection
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

EMP protection

This is a discussion on EMP protection within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; How can I protect my 7000 watt portable LP generator from and EMP? It is stored in my garage. What do I need to do ...

Thread: EMP protection

EMP protection

How can I protect my 7000 watt portable LP generator from and EMP? It is stored in my garage. What do I need to do to protect it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ajk1941 View Post
    How can I protect my 7000 watt portable LP generator from and EMP? It is stored in my garage. What do I need to do to protect it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I believe that an EMP from a solar flare would only affect items that were connected to the grid at the time, however an EMP from a Nuke would affect all electronics whether connected at the time or not.

A Faraday Cage will protect against these types of EMP. A Microwave oven that has good seals and doesn't leak and is grounded may help protect small electronic items. For something as big as a generator it may be more difficult. Some have suggested wrapping in alternate layers of film and foil. You may need a lot of film and foil!

None of this will help though if an enemy like Russia has a new unimaginable weapon that sends out an EMP that isn't affected by shielding nor how deep underground you hide. If it is true that Russia has 4th generation Scalar weapons I think we are all stuffed and it is only a matter of time before all this dangerous Bear prodding being done by the US/NATO via the EU especially in Ukraine as well as Russian allies results in a major conflict.

I don't see Russia appearing to be all that concern about our president's protests and feeble attempts to scare the Russians.
    As far as the generator, you will need to find out if it is using simple ignition parts (points and condenser or magneto) or has some kind of computer controlled ignition. if it is an expensive inverter type, you've more than likely got worries. If it has any kind of computer/IC logic Inverter controls, you might have to look at stocking a new bunch of parts for after the SHTF. A real cheap/old fashioned generator is probably going to be fine. Or take the electronics of your generator and shield them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I fear Putin is just crazy enough to pull off something bad. He lives in the Cold War. What an Lunatic.
    Violence is in the person, not in the Gun !

I feel he is a man of a different culture. One I do not understand. Of course I can say the say for Muslims. They are a different culture. So different, none of us could ever understand. I guess that's the problem. We keep trying to win their hearts and minds by sending bazillions of US greenbacks to them. Like the little rich kid who nobody in school plays with, so he buys candy for everyone. We all know how well that works. I can't help but feel that the only ones who really understand Muslims are the Israelis. But then again, they've had a few years to learn the art of diplomacy. I wish I could fathom why our government keeps implementing the same diplomacy model over there and expects different results. Oh, that's the definition of insane = doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. At least Putin gets the same result each time he butts heads with Obama. So who the lunatic? But then again, who elected him. Did they really expect different results from Obama after the first four years???? I can't believe so many people drank the koolaid, not once but twice. And not the polls indicate that the little 20 somethings that went gah gah over him are so fed up they won't even vote again. Is this what our education systems is teaching?

Sorry for venting in your thread. I need another cup of coffee to chill.

Back to your original question. A Faraday cage is basically a metal box, with no holes or gaps big enough for the high frequency electric currents to get inside. How about this? We've all seen them on construction sites. Buy one big enough. Hopefully you could find a used one on Craig's List or?
    Attachment 5329
    They're strong, and lockable and frequently have wheels. All holes would have to be brazed/soldered shut. The seam between lid and door could be sealed with foil tape with conductive adhesive after paint was removed from the area so tape would be electrically conductive to the box and lid.
    Here is a links to foil tapes.
    McMaster-Carr
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-foil-tape/=rx3h0u

An ac generator - most are - will only need to be protected from the E-1 pulse of an HEMP. If you don't use it you can make a wooden frame for it to sit on and before you place the generator on the frame glue some HD aluminum foil on the frame. Put newsprint - a couple of layers - over that then another layer of foil - a couple more layers of newsprint and another layer of foil. Then place a couple layers of newsprint and set your generator on that. Wrap the gen-set in the layer of newsprint covering everything. Wrap the foil you placed last over and around the paper covered generator. Seal all the seams with a double fold. Wrap the next layer of paper and the cover with the next layer of foil. Continue the process until the last layer of foil covers the entire rig. You should have three distinct layers of HD foil separated by newsprint with each layer completely sealed from the others.

That is all there is to it. When you need to use it you tear off the covering and when you are done you cover it again. Steel is not good protection because it is only about 6% as conductive as Aluminum. It would work if you had 48 layers of the steel insulated from one another but that would be more expensive than using silver to cover it which is the best conductor that we have (for room temperature applications).

Sponsored Links