Avoiding IR Detection
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Avoiding IR Detection

This is a discussion on Avoiding IR Detection within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Iím new here, but a long-time prepper. Iíd like to get your opinions about prepping plans Iíve developed. Feel free to be very critical; Iím ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Avoiding IR Detection

Avoiding IR Detection

Iím new here, but a long-time prepper. Iíd like to get your opinions about prepping plans Iíve developed. Feel free to be very critical; Iím just trying to get your ideas.

I think that the problem of IR detection is usually made out to be a much bigger problem than it actually would be during EROL. (No special suits needed)

As I see it, the only time to be concerned about it is during martial law, when it would be used by high-flying drones to detect people violating curfew or campfires of people hiding out in the wilderness. If the whole country is under martial law, there won't be many available to observe the wilderness, because most of them would be used in urban areas to locate people breaking curfew. Also, being IR devices, they would only work well during the night. Additionally, at a higher altitude, peering into a forest, they cannot differentiate between the heat signature of a human, a moose, a coyote, a bear, or a deer. Stay under tree cover as much as possible. They won't be tracking down every animal they see, possibly losing the drone to a tree branch. They will look for campfires only, and if they locate one, they will not send a team into unfamiliar territory until early morning, when they can see and move quietly. They will assume you won't break camp until at least 8 AM, and that they will catch you by surprise. If you used a fire during the night and do not move on early in the morning, you may find yourself captured.

Drones also won't be used during inclement weather; they are too valuable to lose, and perhaps irreplaceable during SHTF. Even if it's cold out, or you need a fire to cook on, unless its inclement weather, don't set fires at night, be they wood, alcohol, Sterno, or gas. Try to create your fires during the day, using only dry wood or charcoal you made in the previous fire, to reduce smoke. Save part of your cooked food for night time, when you can eat it cold. Use a Dakota fire hole if the terrain allows it, and don't even start it until you place a camo tarp over it, just to be on the safe side. You probably won't be seen from above; there will be few drones in use during the day; people will be servicing last night's drones for the next night.

People will get sloppy and get caught, -all because they wanted a little comfort, (warmth or a hot meal). In a situation where avoiding detection is important, don't cut corners, -or eventually you'll pay with your freedom.

Err, sorry, passive IR can be used during the day also. Night vision, passive type is used in the night.

Active IR is not used much anymore.

Helicopters today are using thermal imaging for detection and targeting more than NVD.

That is your problem.

If you are in beantown, you haven't got a chance, I live in the central part of the state,

and I worry about the trash from Boston and Worcester slithering out this way post SHTF.

Further, why worry about detection in the woods, they will have plenty to do with the masses in Cambridge and Brighton.

That is unless you blew up something and are being hunted.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-20-2017 at 04:16 AM.

I'm more curious to learn what situation would preclude martial law, and what entity is in power that has IR detecting drones but not NV gear to hunt at night.

Don't put to much worry into martial law. I can't work over any large area. Maybe... MAYBE a city, but that's about where it will stop.
    And it sure won't fly in some parts of the country.

Come to think of it, nor will those drones... for long.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Socom has the word there: thermal.

IR has not outlived it's usefulness, . . . but thermal is so much better.

I love the little video where two hog hunters are down in Tx, . . . one asks what that was across the screen some 40 or 50 yds out, . . . other guy had to wait till he saw it again.

Aww, . . . just a mouse.

My thermal will also see that mouse, . . . as well as a full grown man almost a mile away, . . .

Thermal also "sees" thru smoke, fog, even light to moderate rain.

AND, . . . thermal works as well during the day as it does at night.

Thermal???? Yes, . . . be afraid of it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Has somebody been reading the EFAD trilogy?

Super Moderator

I'm thinking you've never sat in the cockpit and used the FLIR or the thermal imaging. You won't hear the helicopter that clearly sees you. You won't have a clue about what is about to deliver a very bad day to you.

Break camp until at least 0800 hrs? You must be a civilian. If you are going to "break camp," you start before light.
    Kauboy, dwight55, RedLion and 4 others like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Luckily, I live only 3 blocks from a big rocky forest, called the Fells, which has several isolated reservoirs in it. I've already found 2 excellent, nearly inaccessible bug-out locations there.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I'm thinking you've never sat in the cockpit and used the FLIR or the thermal imaging. You won't hear the helicopter that clearly sees you. You won't have a clue about what is about to deliver a very bad day to you.

Break camp until at least 0800 hrs? You must be a civilian. If you are going to "break camp," you start before light.
    I think I said to break camp at first light.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Socom has the word there: thermal.

IR has not outlived it's usefulness, . . . but thermal is so much better.

I love the little video where two hog hunters are down in Tx, . . . one asks what that was across the screen some 40 or 50 yds out, . . . other guy had to wait till he saw it again.

Aww, . . . just a mouse.

My thermal will also see that mouse, . . . as well as a full grown man almost a mile away, . . .

Thermal also "sees" thru smoke, fog, even light to moderate rain.

AND, . . . thermal works as well during the day as it does at night.

Thermal???? Yes, . . . be afraid of it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Yes, but can it discern what type of mammal you are through a tree canopy?
    Old SF Guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    I'm more curious to learn what situation would preclude martial law, and what entity is in power that has IR detecting drones but not NV gear to hunt at night.

Don't put to much worry into martial law. I can't work over any large area. Maybe... MAYBE a city, but that's about where it will stop.
    And it sure won't fly in some parts of the country.

Come to think of it, nor will those drones... for long.
    I'm sure they have NV gear, but I doubt they would send out a patrol that proficient with NV gear at night just to arrest some stragglers.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links