If you have several days notice....
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on If you have several days notice.... within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If you have several days notice in advance of an approaching Hurricane thats predicted to in a best case scenario be a Cat 2 and ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: If you have several days notice....

If you have several days notice in advance of an approaching Hurricane thats predicted to in a best case scenario be a Cat 2 and in all probability a Cat 3 almost assured with the possibility of becoming a Cat 4, why do so many able bodied folks remain behind to try and ride it out only to need to be rescued? I understand the elderly maybe not being able to evacuate but why for the love of God if you have children or if you are able bodied would you not evacuate ahead of a Hurricane? They were predicting at least 30 inches of rain, they were predicting at least a 10 ft tidal surge and a Cat 3 is more than capable of blowing out your front door to your house and windows and stripping the roof off your home realistically, once that happens your pretty well screwed for bugging in!

I mean here just North of Dallas proper, there are hundreds of available camping spots that can handle a RV or a 6-8 person tent, many with electrical outlet available at no additional cost, that have potable water, lake side sites (bring your fishing gear and Lic. cuase dinner is readily available!) , Bathroom Facilities, regular police patrols by local authorities for as cheap as 10 bucks a night!!! While most have a 14 day max limit per a stay...I am sure under the circumstances you could probably stay a couple more additional days if you talk to the right person in charge of running the show.

Yes I have lived on the coast in areas where Tsunamis, Earthquakes and Hurricanes were a real possibility. If the Military didnt order me to stay on Base/ship, I would have taken leave and been gone like a thief in the night!!!

Obviously I am missing something here, someone please enlighten me why you would so readily risk your life and the few possesions your car could hold, cuase I just dont get it?

Stubbornness, stupidity and just plain stupid. Oh, I already said that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Very good question, I wondered about such things myself. The only thing I can figure is that people are reluctant to leave their worldly possessions behind, for they know once they leave the looters will move in. But then, what good is anything if you're dead?
    LunaticFringeInc and Camel923 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Let me give you a few reasons. 1. Terrified of the unknown. 2 Yes some are just stupid. 3 where would I go.
    4 I have no money and no car how am I gonna get out of the city. 5 We trusted the mayor even though the
    governor and the president said we should evacuate. 6 Nothing has ever happened so it never will.

Ignorance. They haven't a clue what wind like that can do to modern construction, and they've never looked at a topographic map to find how many feet they stand above the nearest creek.

Our society has been programmed to believe "bad stuff will never happen to me"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Our society has been programmed to believe "bad stuff will never happen to me"
    Ill admit there is a lot of that, no doubt, we are a snowflake society for the most part and cant remember the last time we had a no bull shit reality check in most cases.
    dwight55 and inceptor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Ignorance. They haven't a clue what wind like that can do to modern construction, and they've never looked at a topographic map to find how many feet they stand above the nearest creek.
    You make a pretty good point there as I have never done that myself. However, I do indeed know how high the water is capable of coming up on our lake and I do know for a fact that it can come up about 10 feet before I have to start coming up with a plan B based on several floods in this area over the last 40 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshinedave View Post
    Very good question, I wondered about such things myself. The only thing I can figure is that people are reluctant to leave their worldly possessions behind, for they know once they leave the looters will move in. But then, what good is anything if you're dead?
    That is and would be my mind set from the get go. I understand the strong motivation it takes to leave what you cant take with you behind, but you could end up with nothing in the end and even dead by the time it blows over. Then what do you got to hang your hat on? I mean lets watch a little Dr Phil and get real...
    Moonshinedave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No Body View Post
    Let me give you a few reasons. 1. Terrified of the unknown. 2 Yes some are just stupid. 3 where would I go.
    4 I have no money and no car how am I gonna get out of the city. 5 We trusted the mayor even though the
    governor and the president said we should evacuate. 6 Nothing has ever happened so it never will.
    1. Yes terrified of the unknown and yes it sucks big time. It is a lot easier to stay than it is to go from a mental stand point. But at some point you got to deal with reality and when there is a 10 ft plus storm surge, 50 inches of rain and your on your homes roof is one hell of a time to say to yourself...."I should have left when the getting was good".

2. No thats something I will buy for a dollar no questions asked. But stupid gets a whole lot of folks 6 feet under!

3. Yes thats a killer for sure. Its hard to leave when you dont know where you are going. But you know if you plan a head a little when times are good and life is grand you can often times have that question answered and solved. But hell who doesnt have a smart phone these days...there is this thing called Google that could sure answer a lot of those type questions.

4. For some that indeed is legit, there are some folks so destitute they dont have a couple of hundred to fall back on and dont have wheels that can make a 200 mile drive. But there cant be as many as the news outlets are telling us that fall into that catagory.

5. Do you think the Mayor gives a rats ass about anyone other than Big Number 1? I seriously doubt it. Since its Houston I will assume he is a Democrat anyways and we know how worthless those can be. Has everyone forgot Ray Nagen and Katrina so quickly? How did that work out for New Orleans residents?

6 Yep that Ostrich head in the sand mentality is a real killer!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links