Safe Water Storage-Indoors, in 55 gallon drums - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Safe Water Storage-Indoors, in 55 gallon drums

This is a discussion on Safe Water Storage-Indoors, in 55 gallon drums within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have had the same water in my blue 55 gallon barrels for the past 5 years. I am as confident that the water is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Safe Water Storage-Indoors, in 55 gallon drums

I have had the same water in my blue 55 gallon barrels for the past 5 years. I am as confident that the water is as safe to drink today as the day that I filled the barrels. If you have clean food grade barrels, fill them with treated water and properly store the barrels in a cool and dark place, then you will have nothing to worry about the water needing to be changed or it going bad unless you somehow allow the water to get contaminated.

Clean the barrels with chlorine bleach, no detergent.

Chlorinate the water also when you fill them.

I add fresh chlorine once a year,

but also use a UV sterilizer light inserted into the water at the same time,

leaving it on with a circulator pump running with it.

The light and pump run for 48 hours, the 275 gallon pallet tank is in the dark 99% of the time.

The cap and tank rim are chlorinated just before it is put back on.

I pull a water sample, mount it stained on a slide and check it with the B&L microscope once a year @ 100X,

nothing so far, 15 years running.

I do have a tendency to over chlorinate, but it oxidizes over time,

would run it through my filters anyways, they remove chlorine.

The water storage is a last ditch backup, I have a well, and a river and lake right here, plus town water..

I do have other water storage, five gallon GI cans, five gallon pails and Gallon jugs dispersed.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-30-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    Gunn likes this.

I would wash them out really well with water and dish soap. Then when completely rinsed, I would fill them to the top with water and sanitizer, the same kind used when brewing beer. Let that stand for a few hours or even a few days. Then empty it and refill with clear water as quickly as you can. (Do not let them sit empty after you have dumped the sanitizer.) Then add bleach or whatever other bacteria treatment you want for storage.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

FYI. I've found that when removing the bungs after they have sat for a while, tighten just a touch before loosening to remove them. They stick/tear less.
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    leaving empty for someone like you with a well might be OK - depends on the SHTF scenario ... definitely don't recommend it involving a municipal water supply - having a couple of weeks water securely stashed should be a major relief for all preppers ...
    I think I'm well covered in any scenario. I happen to have a well, well bucket, backup flex well pump (ac or dc) in a Faraday enclosure, 1 acre pond plus a 20 acre lake a couple of hundred yards away. Also have whole house natural gas generator plus a backup gasoline one. I also have municipal water but it is for backup & not used. Something to keep in mind. Many municipal water systems will provide pressure long after the electric goes off. At least around here, the water towers all have backup generators. Plus, the electric is used only to pump water back up into the tank... not to pressurize the system. Water towers are able to supply water even during power outages, because they rely on hydrostatic pressure, due to gravity, produced by the elevation of the water. Lots of water in those water towers, so many people would have time to fill up, but of course depends on the crisis.

if your plan depends on YOU and YOU alone to rig up an emergency water supply - bad plan - terrible planning - even a grade school aged kid should know and be able to utilize the food/water portion of the family plan ....
    What you say is very true but the truth of the matter is I'm the only prepper in my family. Our kids are grown (live locally) so it is just me & the wife on the farm. The hard truth is, if I'm not on the farm, survival will be harder, Sure anyone could survive for a long time on my food stores & I'm sure anyone can use my water filters to filter the water from the pond, lake or rainfall. But I'm the only one that knows how to pull the existing well pump, needed to use the well bucket and/or install the flex well pump. I'm the only one that gardens & has that knowledge/skillset. I'm the only one who shoots & handles the firearms.

I don't think I'm that unusual, at least regarding prepping. I think many, or most preppers are loners... not understood even by family. There are no guarantees in life & none especially during a crisis. All we can do is increase our odds of survival. With me, our family & neighbors have a good chance of surviving most of anything. Without me, they can do OK but would struggle during a full blown collapse of society.

I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I think I'm well covered in any scenario. I happen to have a well, well bucket, backup flex well pump (ac or dc) in a Faraday enclosure, 1 acre pond plus a 20 acre lake a couple of hundred yards away. Also have whole house natural gas generator plus a backup gasoline one. I also have municipal water but it is for backup & not used. Something to keep in mind. Many municipal water systems will provide pressure long after the electric goes off. At least around here, the water towers all have backup generators. Plus, the electric is used only to pump water back up into the tank... not to pressurize the system. Water towers are able to supply water even during power outages, because they rely on hydrostatic pressure, due to gravity, produced by the elevation of the water. Lots of water in those water towers, so many people would have time to fill up, but of course depends on the crisis.

What you say is very true but the truth of the matter is I'm the only prepper in my family. Our kids are grown (live locally) so it is just me & the wife on the farm. The hard truth is, if I'm not on the farm, survival will be harder, Sure anyone could survive for a long time on my food stores & I'm sure anyone can use my water filters to filter the water from the pond, lake or rainfall. But I'm the only one that knows how to pull the existing well pump, needed to use the well bucket and/or install the flex well pump. I'm the only one that gardens & has that knowledge/skillset. I'm the only one who shoots & handles the firearms.

I don't think I'm that unusual, at least regarding prepping. I think many, or most preppers are loners... not understood even by family. There are no guarantees in life & none especially during a crisis. All we can do is increase our odds of survival. With me, our family & neighbors have a good chance of surviving most of anything. Without me, they can do OK but would struggle during a full blown collapse of society.

I'm good with that.

guess I didn't get thru the first time - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit giving out stupid BS advise to people about not stocking water - just what is your f___ing problem already???

newbie come to these prepper sites for advise - and God only knows they get enough wrong ignorant directions already - if it was detrimental in any way-shape-or form to stock water - you'd have a leg to stand on ....

if you need an example - just look to the Houston damn disaster - that entire municipal water system was compromised when the flooding began - any water in the elevated towers can't be transferred safely to homes .... and that's just this SHTF scenario - every SHTF has some possibility of municipal water being compromised .... a good prep plan - both bug in and bug out has the home supply valve being closed to keep the home safe ...

as far as your particular personal plan - you catch a good dose of radiation poisoning screwing around outdoors or get bushwacked dipping water somewhere - I'm putting my own safety into proper prepping of enough water stocked to survive any event ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 08-30-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

guess I didn't get thru the first time - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit giving out stupid BS advise to people about not stocking water - just what is your f___ing problem already???
    Not a matter of you not getting thru, but a matter of you not reading. I never told anyone to not fill up water containers. Folks can do as they choose & how their particular circumstances dictate. My point is, in the vast majority of scenarios, there will be water pressure for a bit. It won't just turn off. You mention the Houston situation. Well damn, how long have folks know a dangerous storm was coming. You seriously stating they didn't have time to fill up containers?

I have been very specific as to my specific situation... not to brag but to illustrate why I do what I do and why. Others in different circumstances, such as city dwellers would need to act differently. We all prep to different extents & all have different circumstances, so no one policy or plan works for all. In my case, I simply store the containers empty. Others will need to store containers full. The key is, have proper containers on hand. Many don't. I have posted discussion here about the containers I have purchased and why I like them better than 55 gallon drums. https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/f...r-reserve.html

I have stated many times I don't buy into the castle mentality of prepping. I will not hunker down in a bunker for months or years. I will survive outdoors as our ancestors did, or die. If it is a nuclear wasteland, I have no desire to live thru that & therefore don't prep for that. I think full blown nuclear exchanges are old school and not the threat we currently face.

We can agree to disagree but there is no need to be a foul mouthed dick.
    Last edited by Redneck; 08-30-2017 at 08:29 AM.

every SHTF has some possibility of municipal water being compromised .... a good prep plan - both bug in and bug out has the home supply valve being closed to keep the home safe ...

as far as your particular personal plan - you catch a good dose of radiation poisoning screwing around outdoors or get bushwacked dipping water somewhere - I'm putting my own safety into proper prepping of enough water stocked to survive any event ....
    This is why I have water stored, even with an over abundance of water less than a 100 feet away.

If I have to lock down, I will have plenty of potable water and food inside the shop, house and bunker for the duration.

I don't store any water but I'm very proficient with the indian rain dance...gotta have some humor. I store water in 40- 7 gallon jugs for water plus the building I'm in has huge sprinkler pipes full of 100's of gallons of water & there at least 50 more building in walking distance. So water is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NKAWTG View Post
    I store water in 55 gallon blue drums and I rotate the water every six months - my preference.
    Attachment 53170
    How do you rotate them? Empty them and fill up with fresh water every 6 months? .... You must have high water bills o.O

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links