Baofeng Radios
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Baofeng Radios

This is a discussion on Baofeng Radios within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Thoughts on Baofeng Radios? Looking at the 8 watt to put up for just in case they would be needed in an emergency....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Baofeng Radios

Baofeng Radios

Thoughts on Baofeng Radios? Looking at the 8 watt to put up for just in case they would be needed in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Thoughts on Baofeng Radios? Looking at the 8 watt to put up for just in case they would be needed in an emergency.
    I would say the use of a Baofeng for reliable communication during an emergency would be dependent on so many factors. You get what you pay for. Source: There is a Baofeng UV-5R sitting on my desk right now.

If you are truly interested in learning about emergency communication or HAM radio I would get your tech license (not hard, I crammed for 24 hours and $15 later I had my license) and look around. The world of emergency communications is vast and crazy!
    "There, comrades, is the answer to all our problems. It is summed up in a single word--Man"

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperLite View Post
    I would say the use of a Baofeng for reliable communication during an emergency would be dependent on so many factors. You get what you pay for. Source: There is a Baofeng UV-5R sitting on my desk right now.

If you are truly interested in learning about emergency communication or HAM radio I would get your tech license (not hard, I crammed for 24 hours and $15 later I had my license) and look around. The world of emergency communications is vast and crazy!
    Can you give the rest of us a quick "This is what you do" lesson: what, . . . where, . . . how, . . .??

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight
    Denton likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Can you give the rest of us a quick "This is what you do" lesson: what, . . . where, . . . how, . . .??

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight
    Handheld radios are dependent on repeaters being up to get any distance. 8 watts isn't bad, there are a couple of repeaters near me I can hit on 5 watts. The real issue is the antenna. And that applies to all radios. The antenna is the pick up and delivery mechanism. Handhelds have small antenna's and the are hard to get into a repeater. Some use a handheld in their car with a magnetic mobile antenna which works better with the handheld.

I own a Baofeng along with a Kenwood and several Motorola's. I rarely use a handheld simply because of the issue of getting out.
    Fish likes this.

not sure how it all works but I was always told it is about a mile per watt so 8 watts =about 8 miles on a flat clear day possible mor on a cloudy one or maybe shooting skip or something on sideban.
    oops

Back when CB was beginning to be the rage, . . . licenses were "required", . . . then that went by the wayside. Too many people using it, . . . to monitor it.

Have they figured out some new way to keep a lid on these frequencies?

Or will it become the next CB band??

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Back when CB was beginning to be the rage, . . . licenses were "required", . . . then that went by the wayside. Too many people using it, . . . to monitor it.

Have they figured out some new way to keep a lid on these frequencies?

Or will it become the next CB band??

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Not on the HAM frequencies, seriously, HAM operators are serious "rules guys" for the most part. Not only will they hunt non-licensed users down (via triangulation) they will nark you out to the FCC.

I am a member of a radio club, and trust me, they will nark.

For no more expense and hassle than it is to get legal, I recommend getting 100 percent legal on this stuff. If the SHTF it may not matter, but why not get legal and use the radio all the time?
    Check out my prepping/survival website for my podcast, down to earth reviews, advice and a bit of humor thrown in as well.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Salt-N-Pepper View Post
    Not on the HAM frequencies, seriously, HAM operators are serious "rules guys" for the most part. Not only will they hunt non-licensed users down (via triangulation) they will nark you out to the FCC.

I am a member of a radio club, and trust me, they will nark.

For no more expense and hassle than it is to get legal, I recommend getting 100 percent legal on this stuff. If the SHTF it may not matter, but why not get legal and use the radio all the time?
    Yup, trying to use equipment you know little to nothing about can be tough at it's easiest and it's possible to fry components.

It's kinda like buying a car but waiting to learn to drive until you have an emergency.

As a Technician Class instructor, I can tell you it is well worth the few bucks to get your license.
    Once you are licensed you can get a lot of advice from hams in your area. They are obviously
    not going to talk with someone who isn't licensed. You can find a ham club in the area for even
    more help. The little Baofengs are reasonable for beginners and preppers who want to put one
    away for SHTF. BUT it is only going to transmit a short distance with the shorty rubber duck
    that comes with it. The class or book will help you understand the ins and outs of antenna.
    Long distance communications will cost you some hefty change and if that's what you're
    looking for for, I'd say get your Technician and General class licenses so you understand what
    you're doing. Here's a link to Amazon for the Tech. book I use and have had good luck with.
    Some of my students have found it so good they have dropped out of class and taken their FCC
    exam after a few weeks.

If you get it, PM me so I can give you some important tips to the book to make it easier and
    I can email you a Power Point Presentation that I use in the class. Not necessary to take the
    test for the FCC but helps with understanding.

http://www.amazon.com/Technician-201...ds=gordon+west
    Baofeng Radios-ham-tech-book.jpg
    A Watchman likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I had a 5w uv5r5 version. Then went to the 4w uv5r. With that little power your not going to notice a few watts. Just get the 4w version or two for the price they are. I believe i paid $46 for two.
    They will get the job done but have many many options built in the radio. I suggest you learn how to use the radio before you actualy need it. Buying it just to put it away isnt going to work out so well.

If your looking for more range you will need to step up to a mobile radio.
    inceptor likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links