Baofeng Radios - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Baofeng Radios

This is a discussion on Baofeng Radios within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Brettny They will get the job done but have many many options built in the radio. It's the other options that caused ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Baofeng Radios

Quote Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
    They will get the job done but have many many options built in the radio.
    It's the other options that caused me to buy one.

........ I suggest you learn how to use the radio before you actualy need it............
    Just don't expect to read the manual................... because there isn't one these days. You'll need to do an innernets search and spend some time on YouBoob to learn about it.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Can you give the rest of us a quick "This is what you do" lesson: what, . . . where, . . . how, . . .??

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight
    To get your license? I used a mobile phone app to study, Ham boss Technician. The question pool for technician is about 426 question, and the test is 35 of those. It lets you look at all the test questions by category and take practice tests. After I was passing the practice tests 90%+ every time I felt I was ready to take the test. Testing locations can be found here. It is $15 to take the test so that's about what I had in Ham radio to get started.

After that a google search of "Ham radio clubs in (insert your area here)" should find you a local club where you can go to meetings and learn more / find someone willing to help you along.

Like others have said, while licenses wont really matter in true SHTF event, it costs you next to nothing to get licensed and allows you to legally practice using the radio. Buying SHTF equipment just to set on a shelf instead of being familiar / proficient in it will just leave you ill prepared.
    Last edited by PrepperLite; 08-29-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: i dunt know how too gramher
    SGG and dwight55 like this.
    "There, comrades, is the answer to all our problems. It is summed up in a single word--Man"

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes the manual is prety useless for most things. I learned how to use it via the internet. Thats why i say learn how to use it before you actualy need it.

Yes the manual is prety useless for most things. I learned how to use it via the internet. Thats why i say learn how to use it before you actualy need it.
    The manuals for name brand stuff can get pretty confusing too. There is still a lot of trial and error. Plus you need to understand how to set the offsets and tones for each repeater.

Most people confuse ham radio with CB. CB's are a lot easier to use but you can still fry the innards if you have no idea what you're doing.

Is this model a good deal or a waste of money?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi45 View Post
    Is this model a good deal or a waste of money?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    That link is not working for me. It goes to Amazon CA and is not available. "We're sorry. The Web address you've entered is not a functioning page on our site."

What you have to keep in mind is you get what you pay for. Baofeng has it's uses. I own one and may buy another. Get your license and learn how to use the equipment before you need it. Practice with it. Learn how it operates. Get familiar with it. That's the main reoccurring theme here.
    Hemi45 likes this.

You should go with the 5-watt version. You will not notice any difference in the performance of the radio and you will save a lot of money. I would go this route and have 2 one for you and another for someone else in your group.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...B5M4%3Fpsc%3D1
    Hemi45 likes this.

IF you want a Baofeng and IF you want to be able to use all the features designed for the radio then you need to buy it from China. The FCC has put some restrictions on the features allowed to be sold by US companies.

This blogger is on this forum with same user name
    beofeng banned Archives - The Quiet Survivalist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links