Prepper to become gardener
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Prepper to become gardener within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We have been prepping (learning skills, gathering supplies, etc.) for years. While researching our next investment I came across a site, darlinsplace.com, that had quite ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Redneck
  • 1 Post By Illini Warrior

Thread: Prepper to become gardener

We have been prepping (learning skills, gathering supplies, etc.) for years. While researching our next investment I came across a site, darlinsplace.com, that had quite a bit of information on many things we're interested in, including a solar greenhouse and hydroponics system. Has anyone reading this made and used one? I'm looking for unbiased opinions. Thanks.

What is your gardening experience? A beginner or been doing it for years?

Hydroponics is pretty high end, on the gardening knowledge & equipment scale... not where a beginner should start. I've never had one myself but am familiar with some systems. I had a greenhouse and its only real use was to extend the growing season some, but a normal one still gets very cold in the winter... even in Mississippi. With long, dark & cold winter days, you don't get much sun to keep it warm. Yes, on sunny, cold days it stayed warm but when cloudy... cold again. Plants don't like that. A neighbor has a very large one & primarily uses it to get his tomatoes started & growing before everyone else. You can extend your growing season better & cheaper by making grow tunnels in your garden using the proper fabric & pvc pipe hoops. Hydroponics can be rather energy dependent, so not a good choice if you are prepping for a grid down scenario.

If you are a beginner, I suggest starting with container and/or raised bed gardens. My raised bed garden taken a few weeks ago. That small garden, properly managed & worked, can produce a lot of food.

Last edited by Redneck; 08-11-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Denton, sideKahr, Slippy and 2 others like this.

are you currently conventionally gardening? - that's the gardening starting point - both greenhouse and especially hydroponics are specific gardening techniques and for the more unusual growing conditions ....
    Denton likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Sponsored Links