Cast iron cookware
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cast iron cookware

This is a discussion on Cast iron cookware within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I like using cast iron cookware. Skillets, roasters and griddles. I know in this day and age of Teflon coatings and lightweight stainless or aluminum ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Cast iron cookware

Cast iron cookware

I like using cast iron cookware. Skillets, roasters and griddles. I know in this day and age of Teflon coatings and lightweight stainless or aluminum cookware cast iron is somewhat of an anachronism.

Am I alone in the use of cast iron? or are there possibly one or more cast iron holdouts left in the world? hehehe

I think it is the best cookware going, Other than being heavy and needing seasoning every once in a while, it takes less heat and heats more evenly.

Maybe it's the smell of warm olive oil while seasoning the pans or that I'm not ready to give up my old and comfortable ways of cooking. What ever the case is, I do love to cook with cast iron.

What are your thoughts on cast iron?
    Last edited by Seneca; 03-22-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    hayden likes this.

I use cast iron a lot.
    Seneca likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

All we use is cast iron, I was on a bit of a buying spree last year purchasing old cast iron from garage sales and second hand shops, they are getting harder and harder to find, it's catching on! I found a cast iron tea kettle for $20, then seen another on kijiji for $120.....I got a sweet deal I'd say! Some of the stuff was rusted to hell, I used a wire grinder and got the rust out, then gave em a good bath in some olive oil, and kept oiling and heating till the oil came out clean, oiled once more and salted, good to go! now We have a good set for the kitchen and a second set for the camping gear!
    Seneca likes this.
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My absolute favorite..
    Seneca likes this.
    Check out my blog Hidden Content and check out SurvivingTheBreaks and Beach Kowboy on Facebook!!

Lot's of cast iron in my house.
    Seneca likes this.

Over 10 years ago I spent a bunch of money what we thought was a great set of "chef's" cookware. Ever since, I have been spending a bunch of money replacing all of it with cast iron. I am pretty sure that I, singlehandedly, paid for the college educations of the kids for most of the employees at Lodge.
    inceptor and Seneca like this.

When we went to TN a fair amount, we always stopped at the Lodge outlet store. For some reason we never left empty handed :-o
    Inor likes this.

Cast iron is in the Kitchen. Nothing like it for some things like corn bread.
    inceptor likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Cast iron is in the Kitchen. Nothing like it for some things like corn bread.
    Have you ever done chili in a dutch oven with the corn bread cooking on top of the chilli?
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

Use them with a NuWave cooktop, love them. You get all the iron you need cooking with cast iron too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links