Bic lighters,, How long will they last in storage? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bic lighters,, How long will they last in storage?

This is a discussion on Bic lighters,, How long will they last in storage? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Have found bics that were going on ten years, still lit but had a shorter life expectancy.possibly low on fuel when they were lost to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Have found bics that were going on ten years, still lit but had a shorter life expectancy.possibly low on fuel when they were lost to the drawer. I prefer the zippo and back up strike anywhere kitchen matches. Just an observation,but my wife can kill a bic lighter in two weeks.
    Cogito, ergo sum. Rene' Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Yeah, because that pesky butane gas is such a carbon-emissions violator.
    For the sake of the planet, don't flick your Bic! Start your fire some other way.
    Greta Thunberg approved. CO2 emissions depends on skill. Un-limted shelf life. Recyclable materials.

Attachment 106181

Attachment 106183

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot63 View Post
    Have found bics that were going on ten years, still lit but had a shorter life expectancy.possibly low on fuel when they were lost to the drawer. I prefer the zippo and back up strike anywhere kitchen matches. Just an observation,but my wife can kill a bic lighter in two weeks.
    I have dozens of them stored, I do not use them, strictly a SHTF product.

They still work and the fuel is still full after 20 years or so.

Would buy a few at the checkout counter at Wall World, then put them up in storage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I keep a bunch around, where I might need them: shop, by wood stove, propane/acetylene torch (sparker is MUCH better), tractor/truck/car, tool boxes, a stash in home , and when backpacking: 1 in pants pocket, 1 in backpack pocket, 1 in cooking gear, 1 with candle lantern. Redundant is good, if you misplace/loose one.

I always carry one in pants pocket, just like my folder knife. 2 in BOB.

I can make bow drills but takes a while and in bad weather getting materials/starting fire can be cranky/cold, sometimes for me still can't do it (rain/snow/wind).

Strike anywhere matches should be in BOB and anyplace where it gets REAL COLD. Butane don't work at < oF temps. You can shellac/varnish them (spar) to make waterproof. VERY thin wax coat works too, but use VERY hot wax and leave just a THIN coating on the match.

Flint/steel works good too especially if you have magnesium shavings. That is a learned skill if using a piece of stone and your knife.

If the fuel in a Bic is butane and I believe it is, butane is compressed to liquify it
    The boiling point (temp) at which butane turns to a gas is right around 30 degrees F.
    By raising its pressure to about 225 PSI, it will remain liquid at 100 F.
    By reducing the ambient temp of storage, the pressure will decrease.
    So, store your Bic lighters in the freezer.
    Last edited by paraquack; 05-12-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I don’t know how long they last, but I do know they will not work at altitude above around 9000 feet when the temps drop below freezing.

Mod Squad

I've had these things last, and I've had ones that leak. It's way too hit or miss for me to rely on.

Stuff a handful of them into a canning jar, add the lid and band, but don't tighten it. Put the jar into your freezer for an hour or so. The air inside will contract and suck in a little more air. Now take it out, tighten the band, and store it in a cool place. The air inside will expand as it warms, and you will have a slight pressure inside. Even if your lighters do leak, they will stop once the pressure inside the lighter is equal to the pressure in the jar. Since you started with some pressure, they might not be able to leak at all.

Lighters stored like this should last as long as you can contain the pressure, which is probably a very very long time.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

So I was cleaning some boxes that belong to my mom who passed away about 8 years ago and found some bic lighters. They all worked, and I am sure many of those where older then the 8 years as my mom had stopped smoking 6+ years before she passed away. So I think just in everyday storage they can last a long time.
    Irish Diplomacy:
    The ability to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip.

Four years ago I brought about a couple dozen + of refillable, thin long necked grill lighters for a buck each.

They were at a discount store called Ocean State, there was a huge box of them, next time there, they were all gone.

At wally world I bought some Ronson multi-fill butane canisters for a few buck each to refill the igniters.

Each Coleman gasoline, gas lantern or oil lamp around here has one of them attached to it.

All the lighters are still full of fuel and have never used the refill cylinders except for some dining room candles.

I did try the Ronson canister on one lighter that seemed a little low, it worked and none ever leaked out.

I have several from 2008. Stored in a ziplock bag in the dark standing upright. All have worked perfectly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links