Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Do not put off dental work

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Steve40th 
#1 ·
I thought I had a lost filling..had bad pain and used some severa pain oragel to get me through the pain. went to dentist today... filling was not lost, filling was pushed down into gum and root and had an abscesses... $145 to pull it or $1500 to fix it... $145 later and I have a little pain from the extraction

I would hate to be in the middle of a pandemic or financial meltdown and need dental work......... for me tooth pain is the worse!

#3 · (Edited)
A long time ago, the only fear I had was going into combat and suffering a toothache in the middle of an operation or while posting on a OP or LP.

Getting wounded or killed was the chance you would take.

That fear led me to carry a morphine syrette, lidocaine cylinder, syringe and dental pliers and a parting tool, all which I swiped from the base hospital.

Had all wrapped in gauze in a second first aid pouch.

Had them all out 30 years ago and never regretted it.

#5 ·
Just a warning here, but MM is completely right. If you don't get regular cleanings the bacteria that cause Periodontitis, gingivitis and others can spread to your blood stream. They can cause heart, lung and kidney disease. I have to get 3 cleanings every year because I am very susceptible to these lil' bastards.

#7 ·
The mouth is the gateway to the body. Many diseases have signs that show in the mouth and some diseases that occur in the mouth effect other areas of the body. Putting of dental work is like putting off mechanical or body work on your car. Wait for total breakdown it 1) hurts a lot more and 2) is way more expensive than if it was corrected at an earlier stage. Around 1900 dental disease was the second leading cause of death in London England. This was before local anesthetic or antibiotics. In a long term SHTF situation an unhealthy mouth can become a death sentence. Prevention is clutch. Good habits start with home care. Brushing, flossing, listerine. Fluoride gets a bad rap by some but it does cut the incidence of decay in half without deleterious side effects when used in the correct amount. Routine professional dental care twice a year assuming no problems is under $300 per year in my area with no insurance. Dental insurance would be about twice that amount and usually caps at $1000 per year.

Reactions: Slippy and 23897
#8 ·
If the SHTF and you can't get to a dentist, you REALLY don't want to have dental work.

Additionally, gum disease leads to heart disease (direct correlation). I put mine off for years, had a big mess then spent a year getting about a bazlillion things done to get me back up to where I need to be... I've got more fillings than a jelly doughnut shop, but at least I still have my chompers...

#9 ·
I too went too long without care and finally had to go in severe pain. A few years later I think I paid for a good portion
of my dentist's boat and helped with his alimony for a few months LOL.

I'm up to date now thankfully and keep a good supply of extra strength Orajel and Dentemp temp filling in our SHTF first aid supplies.

#10 ·
I'm up to date now thankfully and keep a good supply of extra strength Orajel and Dentemp temp filling in our SHTF first aid supplies.
Great prep! We definitely keep the same, and plenty of it.

#14 ·
Thanks for the tip on that. I recently lost six and supposed to go donate four more..but I aint been eager to go back so far. My guys get two fifty per tooth. Hes an oral surgeon who is real painless. Fairly young retired Air force Colonel. He says I need a filling but that aint in his department. He is apparently just a tooth decay monitor but is very good at pulling them out for them who dawdle around too long.

#16 ·
My VA clinic throws dental at me. My last visit they kept wanting me to do a referral for a tooth implant or what ever you call it. I have two teeth missing and it doesn't bug me at all so I told them no. Couple of weeks later the dental clinic called and tried to get me to do an appointment for the implant referral. Their good at scheduling the cleanings. I think I get cleaned every 4 months.

Part of my preps I have several extractors, elevators and clove oil and orajel. I will attach a couple of Doom and Bloom PDF's. I suggest you print them both off.

View attachment doomandbloom.net-The Survival Dental Kit.pdf

View attachment doomandbloom.net-How to Extract a Tooth.pdf

Somewhere I uploaded a crap load of dental books.

Reactions: Camel923
#20 ·
No direct if you have gum disease it will cause heart disease. Just a generalization. My opinion is if your not taking care of your mouth your probably not taking care of your heart. Hope this helps @fangfarrier

#21 ·
Daughter did the same thing. Kept pushing it, and delaying. When she went in, 950 to do root canal, or pull it. She had it pulled. She was waiting for dental insurance to mature. WTH. Anyways, meds, Nitrous less than a 100 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.