6 Totally Insane Things That Will Happen If Our Power Grid Goes Down - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

6 Totally Insane Things That Will Happen If Our Power Grid Goes Down

This is a discussion on 6 Totally Insane Things That Will Happen If Our Power Grid Goes Down within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by A Watchman Please keep your legs down and closed. Excuse me?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 6 Totally Insane Things That Will Happen If Our Power Grid Goes Down

Moving On...

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Please keep your legs down and closed.
    Excuse me?
    A Watchman likes this.

Short of getting nuked from coast to coast, this is about as bad a scenario as I can think of.

We can expect routine short duration, less than 3 days , power outages . Unless we invest billions into our grid and power system it will only get worse.

I think a possible solution is a system of smaller generation by the use of solar systems on businesses and homes, wind farms , hydro with small natural gas plants thus if one part of the grid is down power can be generated and moved from another area. Lots of electronic controls with manual backups in case of a hacker attack.
    sideKahr likes this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Please keep your legs down and closed.
    6 Totally Insane Things That Will Happen If Our Power Grid Goes Down-nuclear-attack.jpg
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The US electric grid is in need of repair and upgrades. Very much so.
    It could very well fail on its own.
    Solar activity could bring it down, so could a foreign entity hacking into the grids computer controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Our power grid is extremely vulnerable. Don't think that fact has been overlooked by our enemies.
    It's so confusing...
    Name:  serveimagey.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  83.0 KB
    homefire and Prepared One like this.
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    I've noticed some cell towers with generator setups.
    Yep and even more are staged to deploy in local outages. The problem is there aren't enough to supply all sites and carriers in a national grid outage. All carriers have Battery back up to take over until the generators are deployed. The next issue is fuel and the finally that cellular access will become very limited very quickly, the first responders etc will have priority and be given codes that allow them to get access on systems even in full use. In other words they will always get access and you get a circuits busy recording. If you are lucky enough to get through, make it snappy because a priority call will soon disconnect you.
    sideKahr likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - 'Mad Dog' James Mattis - Call Sign 'Chaos'

"In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table" - Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    We can expect routine short duration, less than 3 days , power outages . Unless we invest billions into our grid and power system it will only get worse.

I think a possible solution is a system of smaller generation by the use of solar systems on businesses and homes, wind farms , hydro with small natural gas plants thus if one part of the grid is down power can be generated and moved from another area. Lots of electronic controls with manual backups in case of a hacker attack.
    The problem is restarting the "Power Islands" after a national outage. 3 Days would be very optimistic. In fact substation HV Transformers, breakers etc. are often are not even made in the US any more. Waiting time for delivery currently can be a year+. There are only so many spares laying around. Currently we are very quietly hardening our substations in a belated, slow and insufficient manner. While the systems function and are very impressive, I believe we should also institute a neighborhood watch program complete with education for them as well. Like the coast watchers in WWll.
    Last edited by Maol9; 04-23-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: accuracy: substation components are made in USA
    sideKahr likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - 'Mad Dog' James Mattis - Call Sign 'Chaos'

"In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table" - Steely Dan

Aside from the deteriorated mental states, we will have diabetic dying by the many thousands. Any medical condition that requires any medication will have to go without. Aside from this We will have a lot of people dying because of plain old exertion. Many of us have not had to do any strenuous activity for years, especially without a bottle of water in our hand.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maol9 View Post
    ...cellular access will become very limited very quickly, the first responders etc will have priority and be given codes that allow them to get access on systems even in full use. In other words they will always get access and you get a circuits busy recording. If you are lucky enough to get through, make it snappy because a priority call will soon disconnect you.
    It sounds like you work in the industry, @Maol9 . If so, can you answer this question: are the systems smart enough to give priority to callers making calls TO first responders, police, fire, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    It sounds like you work in the industry, @Maol9 . If so, can you answer this question: are the systems smart enough to give priority to callers making calls TO first responders, police, fire, etc?

No .
    Maol9 and sideKahr like this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links