Tinder burning but not igniting to flame

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Tinder burning but not igniting to flame within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm trying to start a fire with flint and steel. A tender will catch and glow when I used char cloth but will not ignite ...

I'm trying to start a fire with flint and steel. A tender will catch and glow when I used char cloth but will not ignite into flame. I'm using unoiled sisal rope that's been pulled apart inform into a bird nest. I tried blowing on it gently and swinging the tender slowly. Alas no flame. Any ideers?

Does it readily burn with a flame applied to it?
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Does it readily burn with a flame applied to it?
    The answer to that is a most definite yes. Flamed right up and burned all the way through.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Does Nest need to be tight or loose?

'Tightness' depends on the material used. I've never tried sisal rope. It might be too tight given my limited knowledge of what you're actually working with. It may need to be 'fluffed up'.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint'n'steel View Post
    I started my home campfire a few days ago with sisal and a fero rod. I started with about a 3" piece of rope from a larger hank....un-raveled each larger strand and then un-raveled each individual strand. I set them aside and when complete (4-5 minutes), put them all together and started "fluffing" the mass. The 3" "ball" I ended up with was 90% air. I placed a featherstick end on top of it and had fire on the second strike. I was pleased as I don't often try this but got my new knife and wanted to try out the strike capability of it.
    Last edited by Robie; 04-08-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    I started my home campfire a few days ago with sisal and a fero rod. I started with about a 3" piece of rope from a larger hank....un-raveled each larger strand and then un-raveled each individual strand. I set them aside and when complete (4-5 minutes), put them all together and started "fluffing" the mass. The 3" "ball" I ended up with was 90% air. I placed a featherstick end on top of it and had fire on the second strike. I was pleased as I don't often try this but got my new knife and wanted to try out the strike capability of it.
    How does one "fluff"? Im new to fire starting with tender so I want to be sure.

Mine was probably half the amount of material this guy's is...

Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

How does one "fluff"? Im new to fire starting with tender so I want to be sure.
    Embers work best (making fire) with very very very fine material. Think of a cotton ball. Or a cat-tail.

Joe

I'm trying to start a fire with flint and steel. A tender will catch and glow when I used char cloth but will not ignite into flame. I'm using unoiled sisal rope that's been pulled apart inform into a bird nest. I tried blowing on it gently and swinging the tender slowly. Alas no flame. Any ideers?
    @Flint'n'steel Use dryer lint as your tinder It goes to flame quickly and it is free.

Sponsored Links