Advice for beginning trapper

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Advice for beginning trapper within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm fairly new to trapping and a while back I bought a #11 leg trap. I boiled it, let it rust, and only handle it ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Advice for beginning trapper

I'm fairly new to trapping and a while back I bought a #11 leg trap. I boiled it, let it rust, and only handle it with gloves on. So far I've set it out about four or five times. The first time the trap was sprung with nothing in it. The second time I caught a possum which I gave to my dog and all the other times the bait was gone but trap was unsprung. Any tips would be welcome along with any videos.

Do not put your traps on someone else land with out a full understanding of permission and any restriction it may have.
    As for sprung and nothing. small rodents can defeat larger traps some times.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 04-06-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Leg hold traps are not legal in all states. Check your local regs.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Any advice besides legal?

The Good Cop

Advice? Use live traps so you can be selective in what you kill.
    For example, that possum was beneficial to the environment. But not any more.
    I have used live traps to eliminate coons who have raided my chickens. A 22 or two to the head and problem solved.
    I have also caught a possum, which I released as he was no threat to my chickens or me.

Do you know how to skin and tan the hides? Do you have a market for the hides?
    Smitty901 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I use live traps on the farm. Dogs , Cats other animal you may not wish to kill off are saved. But watch out a big cat caught may be pissed when you try to let it out. You can't give Coon hides away any more.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint'n'steel View Post
    I'm fairly new to trapping and a while back I bought a #11 leg trap. I boiled it, let it rust, and only handle it with gloves on. So far I've set it out about four or five times. The first time the trap was sprung with nothing in it. The second time I caught a possum which I gave to my dog and all the other times the bait was gone but trap was unsprung. Any tips would be welcome along with any videos.
    What are you trying to trap and why? It's past prime for furs and most trapping seasons are over.

I'd also check regulations on baits. Leg holds are restricted in many places, either forbidden or just as drowning sets. Most everywhere you also need a license with some sort of certification/education or a prior license.

Get a subscription to Fur Fish Game magazine and purchase some books and/or videos on the species you wish to catch. Besides going out and learning on your own, see if you can find a local trapper you could apprentice with.

Good advices, need to remember

Sponsored Links